What's new

How do I start?

Thinking seriously about taking the plunge into straight razors. I'm currently DE shaving, and have decent brushes and soaps in my aresenal.

Looking for a little advice about equipment to start. I know in addition to the razor, I should get a good quality strop and at some point a hone. I'm a blade guy, so I know how to sharpen a good blade. I've read in some posts that a Dovo 5/8 is a decent beginner's razor...but I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have a love for this type of shaving. What equipment do you recommend I start with? I'm not necessarily interested in a shavette...I tend to appreciate fine blades and craftsmanship, so I'd like a blade that I can learn on, but that will work for me for several years. Ideally, a blade plus a strop in the $200 range (or less)...if that's reasonable?

I think that learning to use a straight is like learning to drive a car; you won't know which model to get until you know the basic techniques involved. So, I'd recommend waiting to spend the big bucks until you know what you want. You can get inexpensive, but fully functional, razors and strops for not too much. I'd recommend getting everything from whippeddog.com, but there are other places, as well, including the B/S/T.

I think that learning to use a straight is like learning to drive a car; you won't know which model to get until you know the basic techniques involved. So, I'd recommend waiting to spend the big bucks until you know what you want. You can get inexpensive, but fully functional, razors and strops for not too much. I'd recommend getting everything from whippeddog.com, but there are other places, as well, including the B/S/T.

+1 Get the methodology down and then decide what special razor and strop to buy. Everybody nicks their first strop, the poor mans strop is a great way to learn and you can cut it down for paddle or bench strops once you have cut it a few times and you move on to a better piece of leather.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Some of the razors I see you guys have are full hollow ground and half hollow ground. I can understand how a full hollow ground would work on different sides of the face, because the blade has the same profile on both sides. But a half hollow ground? If I use my right hand, the blade profile is different on the different sides of my face, isn't it? What am I missing?

Not on a standard straight razor as far as i know, both sides are the same grind. Kamisori razors are asymmetrically ground but not a standard straight, they are the same on both sides.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Some of the razors I see you guys have are full hollow ground and half hollow ground. I can understand how a full hollow ground would work on different sides of the face, because the blade has the same profile on both sides. But a half hollow ground? If I use my right hand, the blade profile is different on the different sides of my face, isn't it? What am I missing?

half hollow doesn't refer to the sides, but to how far the grinding goes up both sides. typically, only a kamisori, microtome, and chisel will have different sides.

half hollow would be 6 or 7 on the pic below

check out the wiki http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Straight_Razor_Grind

attachment.php

or google image search for straight razor grinds...

As well as your first straight, I would personally invest a few more in a shavette as well.
the technique is virtually the same and you can learn with the shavette even if you can't master honing or stropping instantly.

Top Bottom