What's new

new to shotguns

I love my 870, but my OU is probably the most versatile shotgun in the collection. Perfect for sporting clays, trap, skeet and field use. The 870 is a great gun, but unless you're very good at quickly chambering a shell, you'll be at a distinct disadvantage shooting clays, skeet or trap doubles.

Thanks again for all the responses and advice. I really like the idea of the left handed 870, but I have just heard of the Mossberg Maverick 88. Its right handed but much cheaper, better for a first gun. I'm dunno, I'm still pretty undecided.

An 870 will fill a lot of niches... A 12 ga Super Mag is what $330? It will last forever! FOREVER! Why I got mine anyways. Pheasants, turkeys, geese and ducks. It does it all and I'm not tempted to upgrade. Saving me more money for pens and straight razors.

Thanks again for all the responses and advice. I really like the idea of the left handed 870, but I have just heard of the Mossberg Maverick 88. Its right handed but much cheaper, better for a first gun. I'm dunno, I'm still pretty undecided.

Suprised no one has yet mentioned the Browning BPS. An exceptionally well made and reasonably priced pump action shotgun that ejects out the bottom (like the old Ithacas). Hard to beat anything made by Browning

I was going to recommend the BPS as well. I shoot lefty as a left eye dominant shooter. Another good lefty option is the model 37 ithaca, you can get one of those for a couple hundred used. If you are in a state where you can't deer hunt with a rifle, you can get a slug barrel for the gun and it can serve two purposes. For clays, the vast majority of people are shooting with over unders, but the price point for a decent one is much higher than the pumps.

I have an 870 express 12 gauge that I got in 1988 (so that's what, 25 years old?). Never had a problem with it. That being said, I recently got a pristine Ruger Red Label 20 gauge over and under used for $1000, and it's sweet. But I agree with the other folks about a pump being versatile You might want to go with a 20 gauge; a lot easier to shoot, cheap ammo, and very capable. Hell, I once knew one old guy that shot skeet with a 410 and kicked all of our asses every time.

If you really want an 870 try to get an older one. Since Remington was bought out their quality control dropped quite a bit.
The express/regular lines did take a hit.

I would find a semi auto. I have an 870 I use for turkey hunting but I love my Browning A hunter semi for upland. Consider buying used.

Thanks everyone. I'm not quite ready to buy yet, still need to convince the wife, she wants to purchase a handgun for the home first (makes sense). But is there a site that I have missed that lists used firearms? I've looked into armslist.com, but almost everything I have seen listed there can be bought new cheaper locally.

Because of the renewed interest by our gov't to disarm us, everyone and their brother is looking to buy guns and ammo right now. That is why you're seeing the ridiculous prices online right now. Either give it a few months to cool down, or buy what you can from a local shop.

BTW, my recommendation would be the Remington 11-87. I absolutely love mine.

I hate picking up spent hulls. You won't have much trouble shooting trap unless you shoot doubles but skeet and sporting clays you'll be picking up hulls while the next guy can't wait to get in a start shooting. With a nice o/u you might have your money invested but you will be able to get it back out of it, kinda like renting.

Cant got wrong with the 870 or the Mossberg 500. Im a lefty and found that the Mossberg is easier for me to manipulate because the safety is ambidextrous located on top of the gun. Either way...great guns for the price.

I held a Remington 1100 today at a local pawn shop. It was well worn, the stock felt lose even, but still a pretty gun. They were asking $390 for it.

I used the BPS and and 870 years ago and loved them both....I agree the older models are the better to have......I would wait for this current frenzy to abate and keep a sharp eye for the older examples...A lot of hunters are aging out and selling their boomsticks.

There is no handgun made that is better for the home than a shotgun.

The wife and I are contemplating a Maverick 88 with the 28in barrel for sporting and an extra 18.5in barrel for home defense. My reasoning is after using it for clays/hunting it will need to be cleaned, I will then switch to the shorter barrel for handy storage. Sound like a decent idea?

Are you usually allowed to shoot shotguns at a rifle range so my wife can learn shoot? Are home defense shells loaded with less power?

Last edited:
I would also look into the Winchester 1300. They have a forward safety which I do believe can be changed from left to right by a smith. On another note, don't get to carried away with cleaning these pumps. I have found that some pattern better with a little fouling in them. Always use a dry lub in the action. If you really do get into bird hunting you will find the biggest issue with pumps is cleaning out all the seeds.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The wife and I are contemplating a Maverick 88 with the 28in barrel for sporting and an extra 18.5in barrel for home defense. My reasoning is after using it for clays/hunting it will need to be cleaned, I will then switch to the shorter barrel for handy storage. Sound like a decent idea?

Are you usually allowed to shoot shotguns at a rifle range so my wife can learn shoot? Are home defense shells loaded with less power?

The rifle ranges here would allow shotguns shooting slugs, which would be pretty punishing off the benches. There are some shotgun target shells at the low end, but if she hasn't ever shot it will be quite a shock I think. My two cents, which is overpriced on an internet forum, is go somewhere down there where you can rent guns, pay the high price for the shells, and try them out.

Top Bottom