What's new

new to shotguns

This is my first post on the firearms forum. I have recently developed an interest in shotguns and related sports and hunting and am researching a budget entry level shotgun.

A little background about me. I used to go shooting with my gunsmith uncles when I was young, but since my youth I have only fired M-16s in the Air Force, and only when qualifying to deploy.

I have been looking at a Remington 870 Express as a possibility. I'm interested in range shooting to learn, then clays and bird hunting later on as well as home defense. Would this be a decent start?

Thanks!

Welcome. You're going to love it. I've been hunting for 40 years, but am not a gun expert. Other guys know far more, but you can throw this opinion into the pot with all the others.

The 870 is a classic gun with a great reputation for reliability. There are also plenty of them used if you choose to go that way and in multiple chokes. I also think the choice of a pump is a good starter gun because it's versatile. You can hunt birds, get a slug barrel and go after deer and it will handle the newer loads for non-toxic waterfowl hunting. It's just a workhorse.

If you think, however, that you're really going to end up spending more time on the clays course, then look for a good used O/U with interchangeable chokes. This is a much bigger expenditure, but if you enjoy doing it, then you're going to buy one anyway.

One other important thing. I learned to shoot from an old farmer. Today, I'm a solidly mediocre shooter. Lots of bad habits. When my son expressed an interest, I started him off with lessons from a certified instructor. He routinely out shoots me. You should start off with some lessons.

This is very exciting. Best of luck and let us know how you do. And if you get up to Northern Virginia, then we'll head over to Bull Run in Manassas and shoot a few clays. Prediction: you'll beat me.

It really depends on what do you want to do with the gun? Hunt or shoot clay targets. If targets then a O/U or something like a BT-99. Which is a fantastic trap shooting gun. Hunting birds you may want to go with a pump or semi-auto.

First I want to learn to shoot a shotgun, then eventually learn to hunt. But I also would like to be able to shoot clay targets. My family budget won't allow for multiple guns though, so I'm looking for a fun that can play both roles of target and hunting. Maybe not the most ideal, but you do what you can.

First I want to learn to shoot a shotgun, then eventually learn to hunt. But I also would like to be able to shoot clay targets. My family budget won't allow for multiple guns though, so I'm looking for a fun that can play both roles of target and hunting. Maybe not the most ideal, but you do what you can.
Pump is the most affordable and versatile and the Remington is a good choice. There are better and there are worse, but all the Remington will do day in and day out is hit what you point it at.

The 870 is possibly one of the ideal shotguns that you could choose to start with no matter what your budget, and we all start somewhere. I can think of 5 different guys that I have hunted with that use a 870 for shooting clay, rabbit and whitetail deer with the same gun that just change the barrel for what they are doing.

Last edited:
The 870 is great. That and the Mossberg 500 are the most supported shotgun platforms on earth. I have one of each and they are both very user-friendly. If you happen to be a lefty like me, you might enjoy the Mossberg more due to its safety location. But I've been shooting my whole life and don't think twice about most of my guns being backwards!

Thanks fellas. I am indeed a lefty, I understand from shooting M-16s, the brass discharges right into your face. I'll look into the Mossberg as well, thanks for the tip.

depends on your budget. go to stores. shoulder a few and swing them. you'll see how different they are.

if I didn't know and was on budget, I'd get a wingmaster with 26" barrel.

I do love beretta autos. I've competed with those.

when you're ready go swing a perazzi. :001_tt1:

Check out a Remington 1100. You absolutely do NOT have to have a O/U for shooting clays.

I hunted and shot trap competitively for years with a standard 1100 before moving on to an 1100 Classic Trap for clays. They are a very soft shooting gun which is nice if you are planning on shooting a lot of clays.

At my local store, we were recommended a entry level shotgun made by H&R called the Pardner. It is a clone of the Rem 870, the companies owned by Remington, its apparently the same parts, and it could be had for like $200!

Might be something to look into :)

The Pardner's also made in China.

Stick with the 870, it's the single most produced shotgun on earth for a reason. And yes, while it'll eject 'in your face' as a lefty, it's not much of an issue. I've shot 870s righty and lefty doing far weirder things than hunting birds and shell ejection was the last thing on my mind. The Mossberg safety is more ambidextrous-friendly and the gun's a little lighter, so it's kind of Ford/Chevy. I've owned both (multiples) and you can generally find used models inexpensively for 2/3 the cost of a new one. If you're new to shotguns though, get a new one and you won't inherit someone else's potential problems since you don't know what to look for.

You can also often find the two-barrel sales at the bigger box stores (Big 5, Dick's, Academy) where you get a 28" bird barrel and either an 18" or 20" barrel for defense/deer. That combo is always worth getting, as a new barrel by itself can be over $100 and the 'spare' in the two-barrel sales is usually far less when you do the math.

A shotgun isn't an M16, especially since you sound as if you're in Arming Group C, but they're a highly useful, utilitarian piece. One 12 gauge with 2 barrels (or 1, if you're pushing it) and a handful of chokes can hunt rabbits, coyotes, just about any kind of bird, using slugs or buckshot, hunt deer, wild hogs, bear (the 12 gauge with slugs being one of the most common anti-bear guns) and do fine in antipersonnel situations with good training. On the home defense front, look up Rob Haught and Louis Awerbuck, they're two of the most respected combat shotgun instructors in the world. What they say, shut up and do.

The 870 Express has a so-so finish for rust resistance, wipe it down with a Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth every couple months and it won't be an issue. The newer 870s have an excellent recoil reducing stock buttpad, much better than the older ones. If you choose to change stocks, the Hogue Overmold (rubberized) is very grippy in crappy weather conditions (such as duck hunting or in deep woods when you're sweating and just heard a bear growl).

depends on your budget. go to stores. shoulder a few and swing them. you'll see how different they are.

if I didn't know and was on budget, I'd get a wingmaster with 26" barrel.

I do love beretta autos. I've competed with those.

when you're ready go swing a perazzi. :001_tt1:

do NOT go swing a Perazzi unless your maiden aunt died recently leaving you sole beneficiary of a substantial estate.

Check out a Remington 1100. You absolutely do NOT have to have a O/U for shooting clays.

I hunted and shot trap competitively for years with a standard 1100 before moving on to an 1100 Classic Trap for clays. They are a very soft shooting gun which is nice if you are planning on shooting a lot of clays.
True. There's much to recommend an auto loader. I never think of them because I just don't care for them. Were I a competitive shooter, however, that would change overnight.

First, I would stay away from the Pardner. Both of my brothers have them, and they have had major issues with them. They seem a little too cheap to me.

Here is what I would do if I wanted a multi-use shotgun on a budget...
I would select either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500, and then get a second barrel for it. Extra barrels for both of these models are fairly inexpensive.

I would start with a model geared towards home defense, probably with a 6+1 magazine capacity, 18" cylinder bore barrel, polymer stock, and bead sights.
since this is intended to be multi-use, I would stay away from things like ghost-ring sights, magazines in excess of 6 rounds, heat shields, pistol grips, etc.
For the second barrel, I would get one geared towards hunting and clays. 26" to 30" length, with interchangeable chokes.

With this setup, you could cover all of your intended uses, and only have to change out the barrel (which is super easy to do).

Deciding between the Remington or the Mossberg is mostly preference, and mostly about the controls.
The Remington 870 has a cross-bolt safety behind the trigger guard, while the Mossberg 500 has an ambidextrous slide safety on the tang.
The 870's action release is in front of the trigger guard, while the 500's is behind the trigger guard.
Loading these two shotguns is also slightly different. With the Mossberg, when you chamber a round, the elevator moves up out of the way and gives unobstructed access to the magazine tube. On the 870, after a round is chambered the elevator springs back down to cover the magazine tube, so you have to push the round past the spring loaded elevator and then into the magazine. Neither is better than the other, it is just preference. I have found though that if you unload the magazine by depressing the shell stop, the 870 seems to unload a little easier than the 500.

For myself, I prefer the controls of the Mossberg, so that's what I went with. If you can, try both and see which one you like better.

You can also often find the two-barrel sales at the bigger box stores (Big 5, Dick's, Academy) where you get a 28" bird barrel and either an 18" or 20" barrel for defense/deer. That combo is always worth getting, as a new barrel by itself can be over $100 and the 'spare' in the two-barrel sales is usually far less when you do the math.

This is a great option!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Having both a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 590, both are good guns but I think the 870 is easier to manipulate and seems a more natural shooter IMHO. The two barrel option is ideal, an 18 in. cylinder fixed choke and a 26 in or longer bird/clays barrel with interchangeable choke tubes. A so equipped multi-role 870 is hard to beat and should be a basic staple in anyone's battery!

+1 This is what I started out with. The 1100 is still one of my favorites. It's been around and has a great track record. If you do get one buy some extra O-rings for the gas system. Having a couple of extra are always a good idea. BTW they are a snap to replace.

For shooting clays in a semi formal atmosphere, I'd say find a used O/U. I am right with you in ideas, am pursuing the same things actually, and happen to have a inexpensive auto ( a unloved brand by many) that works great. I have installed a shell catcher in consideration of my fellow shooters, but it ain't perfect. Pumps are popular for a reason, they work, but they aren't real popular at any of the shoots at clubs I've been to for what ever reason. Guys tend to steer newbies into the most expensive gun they can possibly afford and I guess that is ok and well meaning, but often/usually for a newbie, like us, IMHO technique will trump equipment.

Since you are interested in shooting clays, why not stop at your nearest club that you may be shooting at and ask for opinions an maybe rent and handle some guns?

Top Bottom