What's new

Alum block

Pros and cons? I' ve heard some buzz about being hazardous to health...Is that true? Aluminium contamination?

I use an alum block every shave.
I like the feel of the astringent on my face and the feedback the alum gives to any cuts or very close areas of shave.
I have the block sitting on a wooden soap dish and recommend it to others

EVERYTHING can be said to have health hazards. I don't worry about this product.
Tom

Alum blocks are not the same type of aluminum as the kind people are worried about (at least that's what I think) and I wouldn't worry for one second about using it (but what do I know, really?). I will add, though, that aside from the nice "astringent" feeling (and it is nice feeling), the alum block has done nothing as to actually improve the overall quality of MY shaves (others would beg to differ, so this is a big YMMV).

As a recent convert to the world of DE shaving I invested in an Alum block when I bought my kit. I have used the Alum block everyday as it gives a nice cooling smooth feeling to my face, although it tastes really disgusting if I happen to get a little on my lips :w00t:

As far as health issues are concerned I would not recommend eating it, but when used as directed it will do you more good than harm ;-)

If you ate one a day for a few years, it would probably kill you yes, but for this kind of use, I laugh at the stuff some people say about this. I was of the generation who was fed sugar water when I was cranky as a baby, drank evaporated milk as formula, slept (and probably chewed on) a crib that was probably finished in lead paint, yadda yadda and there's nuttin' wrong wit me!!

nuttin' wrong wit me!!

nuttin' wrong wit me!!

nuttin' wrong wit me!!

nuttin' wrong wit me!!

nuttin' wrong wit me!!

:lol: :lol:

Anyhow, back to the serious side, I use an Alum block after every shave that is 3 pass or more, or if I encounter a bad shave because of any reason. I find them very good for soothing any irritation.

its not dangerus to your health, and the alternative to it is either cold water which is alot less effective, or talc powder, which is a cancer provoking agent, so, ill take the alum any day,

I have a block and used it for about 2 weeks after starting DE shaving. My face and neck was red for about 3 hours after every shave and I put it down to poor technique until I tried it without the Alum after shaving. My face has been fine ever since. So for me, it not only makes no difference, but it actually made my shaves worse. Maybe I have an allergy.

In other words, everone's different, so try it if you think you might benefit from it.

Top Bottom