What's new

History In Our Schools

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think I got a great education from the NYC public school system. I know pretty much everything that has happened since Harry Belafonte discovered America.

ouch said:
I think I got a great education from the NYC public school system. I know pretty much everything that has happened since Harry Belafonte discovered America.

You sir, are a scholar. :biggrin:

rschul2 said:
...SNIP...
The average student I teach at the university can memorzize anything, but they can not take the bits of information and synthesize a coherent thought. Somewhere along the line, they have lost this crucial skill. These standardized tests will continue to cripple our education system until they are done away with.
Remember this; Of, by, and for fools..

I've been reading this topic with great interest, as both my parents are educated as teachers. My mom,who recently was felled by cancer at 52 years old, taught history, social studies, spelling and English to 12 and 13 year olds for
30 years, and was still a teacher when she died. My father was educated at the same college, had higher scores on the tests....but unfortunately in those days, as now, teaching is also a politically loaded career...and he was refused employment due to him being from "out of town" (unlike my mother) and having a "funny last name".
That said, after 30 years, she was nowhere NEAR making what she was worth-the 46,000 and change mentioned elsewhere...I doubt if she made that even on the day she died, with all of her seniority. I am sure different states have different focuses with regards to history. California, as far as I can gather, is lacking. Not necessarily because the teachers are substandard (they are not) nor the students... but the money aimed at the schools is so politically loaded that it limits what the school can produce. I mentioned elsewhere that current California public school history textbooks are being required in any instance of an event occurring in our history, to also illustrate the participation in this event by minorities, and in any situation deemed bad, they are also required to say good about the people at the same time. If this is not the case, and any of you have information to set me straight in this, please do...as it is depressing to me. History, unfortunately, is not nearly so even-handed as all of that. I feel that our countries' children deserve better than the "Disney" version of history. Right now, I think our teachers are the only hope we have to avoid even more catastrophes than we already stumble into. I think teachers should be paid well enough to afford their own homes...many cannot....and I also believe they should be paid well enough that the best and the brightest STRIVE to become teachers...imagine how much better our young people would have it....
To those of you currently teaching, or learning to be teachers, you have my respect. It is FAR more work than many seem to realize.
John P.

Top Bottom