What's new

Is there a creme that's best for sensitive/razor burn super prone skin?

Just trying to get into the DE razor game hoping it gives me a better shave and less irritation than my mach3. Disposable razor gel is clearly labeled as sensitive but cremes/lathers don't seem to be labeled in the same mannor.

So what do you say is the best creme for a gent possessing very sensitive skin?

Kiss My Face from Whole Foods is one of the best...very slick, very protective, and they have a fragrance free version. It's labeled as brushless, but works fine with a brush...and it's pretty cheap. It's my go-to for travel or when I don't have much time.

Just trying to get into the DE razor game hoping it gives me a better shave and less irritation than my mach3. Disposable razor gel is clearly labeled as sensitive but cremes/lathers don't seem to be labeled in the same mannor.

So what do you say is the best creme for a gent possessing very sensitive skin?

I have been DE shaving for three months now because I used to get bad razor burn on my face with the Gillette fusion proglide. I switched to de shaving 3 months ago. What I found was that having the right creams, blades, and preshave oil is the best way to prevent razor burn. I have wiry, thick, coarse, facial hair that I must do 3 passes including ATG. I find feather blades work for me to cut through thick coarse hair. I use truefit And hill preshave oil, and Taylor of old Bond Street Avocado shaving cream. This is a great cream for my sensitive skin. It has avocado oil so its a slick shave. I get the least amount of irratation I've ever got in my life. Highly recommended.

also, it may sound radical. But try shaving with cold water instead of hot. Your skin becomes puffed out and sensitive when you drag a sharp blade against your skin with hot water.. Works for me and some men, not all. Good luck!

Here is some great advice from someone who is allergic to metal and has extremely sensitive skin. Get the TOBS Avacodo. Smells great and leaves your skin feeling awesome!

I also have sensitive skin..but also oily...if your technoque isnt just right...razor burn sets in...re shavibg an area or using too much pressure..DR Harris Arlington makes a great pre shave that reduces irritarion as I noticed from just using cold water before a shave

It really comes down to a combination of things that work for you. Something that works great for one person may be horrible for another. The members here have compiled some really good information in the ShaveWiki.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/
Take a few minutes and read through. Check the Getting Started article and go from there. It contains a lot of practical and helpful wisdom.
Finding the right shave prep routine, the right razor and blade combination and developing your shaving technique will be among the most helpful things you can do to enjoy an irritation and stubble free shave.
That being said...I like Proraso Red Cream. :biggrin1:

Kiss My Face from Whole Foods is one of the best...very slick, very protective, and they have a fragrance free version. It's labeled as brushless, but works fine with a brush...and it's pretty cheap. It's my go-to for travel or when I don't have much time.

Ill check that out.

I have been DE shaving for three months now because I used to get bad razor burn on my face with the Gillette fusion proglide. I switched to de shaving 3 months ago. What I found was that having the right creams, blades, and preshave oil is the best way to prevent razor burn. I have wiry, thick, coarse, facial hair that I must do 3 passes including ATG. I find feather blades work for me to cut through thick coarse hair. I use truefit And hill preshave oil, and Taylor of old Bond Street Avocado shaving cream. This is a great cream for my sensitive skin. It has avocado oil so its a slick shave. I get the least amount of irratation I've ever got in my life. Highly recommended.

also, it may sound radical. But try shaving with cold water instead of hot. Your skin becomes puffed out and sensitive when you drag a sharp blade against your skin with hot water.. Works for me and some men, not all. Good luck!

I haven't shaved ATG since I tried it the first time. With the 3 I go down WTG one time and touch up the neck. Still around my chin mouth (think where a fu man chu has hair the worst but also on the chin just not as bad) I get red rash the next day accompanied by teeny pimples.

I do the cold water rinse. :(

Here is some great advice from someone who is allergic to metal and has extremely sensitive skin. Get the TOBS Avacodo. Smells great and leaves your skin feeling awesome!

That sounds fabulous. Ill check it out.

I also have sensitive skin..but also oily...if your technoque isnt just right...razor burn sets in...re shavibg an area or using too much pressure..DR Harris Arlington makes a great pre shave that reduces irritarion as I noticed from just using cold water before a shave

I have oily skin too, never thought of that as something to list when describing my situation.

I used to do hot water prep and hot water shave with cold water rinse. Now I do cold water prep, cold water lather and shave, and cold water rinse. The results have been closer, less irritating shaves everyday. Worth giving a shot if you are still battling razor burn. However it is important to try a good cream and oil with it as well.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!

I'm sure that most quality shaving creams will give you better results than you were enjoying with your old system. Many of us here thought that we were plagued with sensitive skin and wire-like beards until discovering old-fashioned wet shaving.

Good luck!

Welcome to B&B!

Trader Joe's has a great latherless shave cream. If I don't have room in my travel kit, I bring this along. A teeny dab'll do ya!

I'm sure that most quality shaving creams will give you better results than you were enjoying with your old system. Many of us here thought that we were plagued with sensitive skin and wire-like beards until discovering old-fashioned wet shaving.

Good luck!

Well-said, Dave, I was just going to add that. Initially, especially if you're getting over using canned chemical goo, you may want to stick to something that will help your skin recuperate from the chemical assault. After your skin heals you can explore the full range of pogonotomy goodies!

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!

Oh, and sorry I forgot...
Welcome to B&B!

Thank you!

I used to do hot water prep and hot water shave with cold water rinse. Now I do cold water prep, cold water lather and shave, and cold water rinse. The results have been closer, less irritating shaves everyday. Worth giving a shot if you are still battling razor burn. However it is important to try a good cream and oil with it as well.

I appreciate the advice but I couldn't imagine trying to get the beard off my face without softening it in the shower. It pulls bad enough after that. I haven't shaved with a cold beard in sometime though. I recently received a strate razor shave from AoS and even with the hot rag/lather, the barbers razor felt like it was ripping my hair out.

On days that I suspect I'm extra sensitive I do a cold water shave with my Jermyn St rotation.

Thank you, I'll look into Jermyn st.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!

Good luck!

Today is D day so ill post up how my first DE razor shave goes!

Welcome to B&B!

Trader Joe's has a great latherless shave cream. If I don't have room in my travel kit, I bring this along. A teeny dab'll do ya!

Well-said, Dave, I was just going to add that. Initially, especially if you're getting over using canned chemical goo, you may want to stick to something that will help your skin recuperate from the chemical assault. After your skin heals you can explore the full range of pogonotomy goodies!

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!

Thank you very much. I'm actually quite stoked to do this thing!

I use truefit And hill preshave oil, and Taylor of old Bond Street Avocado shaving cream. This is a great cream for my sensitive skin. It has avocado oil so its a slick shave. I get the least amount of irratation I've ever got in my life. Highly recommended.
+1
+1

I just recently tried ToBS Avocado and it's a very luxurious cream. Whips up quickly with my WD 24" Silvertip brush, creates a mountain of lather (don't use too much like I did the first time, you'll have more than enough to shave your whole body + a pig and then some). It's cushiony and left and very moisturizing. I've instantly become a fan of their creams (this coming from a regular soap user). My skin is left feeling very nice without being overly oily.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B. My experience has been that Castle Forbes Lavender, Simpsons or Ultimate Comfort would all be excellent. They also happen to be wonderful creams - top of my list. I think QCS Lavender would be good as well.

TOBS Jermyn St has really helped me a lot. And Feather Kanwa after shave balm, too, if you can find it. Very anti-burn.

When you guys say 'cold water shave' are you saying do the normal hot shower/beard oil/hot towel/hot lather giving you a 'warm beard' and just rinse the brush with cold water or are you saying to just shave with a 'cold beard' meaning get up lather and let her rip (quite literally I would think)?

Before I began this DE odyssey I showered then hopped out put on my shave gel and hit it with the M3, rinsing the blade with cold water only.

Top Bottom