What's new

Linux Mint

I tried Linux Mint 12 with their hybrid Gnome 3 implementation and I just didn't dig it.

Wiped that system and went back to a fresh Linux Mint 11 install. Seems like both Gnome and KDE are getting weirder.

I'm having some problems running linux on my new iMac and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

It's a sound issue. Sound will only come out the internal speakers, it seems oblivious to me plugging in a headphone jack. I've been looking around online for a while but not come up with much aside from one or two others with a similar issue. I've tried linux mint and ubuntu installs and both behave the same, playing around with alsa mixer isn't getting me anywhere fast.

Any ideas what to do or where to look?

Ubuntu and mint are recent issues and the mac is an Intel core i5

I had a similar issue on one of the earlier Asus eee Netbooks ... the solution is a bit murky right now, but IIRC, I had to manually switch (in software) which sound output I wanted to use. Not sure if it was a hardware or software issue, but either Linux wasn't recognizing -- or hardware wasn't reporting -- the switch that should occur when you plug in headphones.

Hope this helps.

i had a bad copy, that i tried to put on my current desktop, as a primary OS, it kinda.... didn't like that, after 5 installations (after format) i said screw it... i'm going to make 7 my main and then work on mint as a project. ( i still can't get it working!!)

i have mint 10 running dual boot (with 7) on my laptop. wonderful stuff...

happy linux!! PENIGUIN!

I've been using Lubuntu for a while now. I've used Linus Mint in the past and found it a bit unpolished. I've had zero problems with every new version of Lubuntu so I'm sticking with that.

Just found ths thread and since the Linux forum people arent any real help.....

Have an old Pentium 4 Dell machine with graphics chip on the mobo.

All sorts of dramas with video drivers.
I think some have been deleted / corrupted.

I don't have a CD. Linux Mint 11 was on the machine when I was given it.

Anyone tell me how I can reinstall all the necessary video drivers ?

Top Bottom