What's new

Linux Mint

I'd say it's a safe assumption. Usually anything that's not auto-detected on the live CD won't be auto-detected in an install either. Back in the day I even had rare cases of things working on the live CD but not the install. Fear not, though, as biomesh mentioned you can probably use ndiswrapper to make it work. There are some great tutorials on it out there but they're on my home computer and I don't have time to harass Google for an answer.

Once you do get a chance to look at your adapter try punching it into Google with the words "Linux" and "solved" and you should be able to get a definitive answer as to whether it can or can't work, probably in the first page of results even. If you don't get anything take "solved" out of your query and pray you still get good news. :wink:

:biggrin:

There's something about this element of uncertainty that is drawing me towards it like a moth to the flame, which is totally out of character for me. It's cool, though, because for the first time I'm actually interested in getting my hands a *little* bit dirty in an effort to learn more about my computer and gain more control over it.

I think my next plan of attack is to burn a live cd of the 4.0 (can't remember which wierd women's name is attached to it. What's the deal with that?). I'm thinking maybe the latest version will accommadate my wireless, but if not, I'll continue to ask questions and search the net for clues.

I've read an awful lot about ndiswrapper and am curious how to run it if need be. It seems that all of the linux forums I've browsed (even the newbie areas) assume the end user to have some basic knowledge, which of course I have none of. They simply say "use ndiswrapper" or "run ndiswrapper" which leaves me asking, "how?"

..(can't remember which wierd women's name is attached to it. What's the deal with that?). I'm thinking maybe the latest version will accommadate my wireless, but if not, I'll continue to ask questions and search the net for clues.
It's a strange convention, giving releases a name. MS and Mac do it, too. I think it used to show that you were an insider, in the know. Now it's just cheesy. I prefer the version numbers.

That looks like something you could have some "fun" with.

Well, before I dig myself a hole I don't do any black hat stuff. Occasionally grey, but 95% of the time my hat is white. :wink:

I have broken into some networks with permission, mostly on bets. Mostly I mess around with my own wifi network (ssid is hackerbait if you're ever in the neighborhood) since it's currently not illegal to break into your own network.

I don't consider myself a hacker by any stretch, just an extreme enthusiast. :biggrin:

Well, before I dig myself a hole I don't do any black hat stuff. Occasionally grey, but 95% of the time my hat is white. :wink:

I have broken into some networks with permission, mostly on bets. Mostly I mess around with my own wifi network (ssid is hackerbait if you're ever in the neighborhood) since it's currently not illegal to break into your own network.

I don't consider myself a hacker by any stretch, just an extreme enthusiast. :biggrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Cory. I burned version 4.0. While my router is wireless capable, it also has the regular ethernet "RJ45" jacks(they are truly 8 pin ethernet ports wired to either T568A or T568B specs. Old time telco guys will bag on you for calling these ports "RJ45") on the back as well. That is how I connected my pc. I did not have a wireless card in my pc and it also allowed me to shut off the wireless functions for security reasons. I am not using that part so it does not need to be on. The mint grabbed right onto it and worked just fine. The wifey is wanting a laptop so the wireless function will need to work. I may test the liveCD in that machine. If it becomes a reality. BTW, I have not installed the distro on my hard drive yet. i am waiting to make sure it is something I really want to do. So far, my excursion has been favourable.

Regards,Todd

Hi Cory. I burned version 4.0. While my router is wireless capable, it also has the regular ethernet "RJ45" jacks(they are truly 8 pin ethernet ports wired to either T568A or T568B specs. Old time telco guys will bag on you for calling these ports "RJ45") on the back as well. That is how I connected my pc. I did not have a wireless card in my pc and it also allowed me to shut off the wireless functions for security reasons. I am not using that part so it does not need to be on. The mint grabbed right onto it and worked just fine. The wifey is wanting a laptop so the wireless function will need to work. I may test the liveCD in that machine. If it becomes a reality. BTW, I have not installed the distro on my hard drive yet. i am waiting to make sure it is something I really want to do. So far, my excursion has been favourable.

Regards,Todd

Thanks for the info. I made the false assumption that you had installed on a laptop with a wireless card and everything worked like magic. :wink: This reinforces my plans to burn 4.0 and then get everything working (wireless and all) before going further with a hard disk install.

Thanks for the info. I made the false assumption that you had installed on a laptop with a wireless card and everything worked like magic. :wink: This reinforces my plans to burn 4.0 and then get everything working (wireless and all) before going further with a hard disk install.

If you have a second computer you can bring along for the ride you can be installing on one and reading documentation/pretending to work on the other. This is also where two monitors come in handy if you have a lot of stuff open all the time.

Someday... I'll have that second monitor... :001_wub:

If you have a second computer you can bring along for the ride you can be installing on one and reading documentation/pretending to work on the other. This is also where two monitors come in handy if you have a lot of stuff open all the time.

Good tip. I'm looking to put Mint on the laptop and leave the desktop alone for now. Had I not been multi-tasking (read: working on two computers and *cough* watching Deal or No Deal *cough*), I would have brought the laptop to the desktop...instead of running from room to room. :rolleyes:

how about a kvm switch meanwhile? they are pretty cheap, but monitors aren't what they used to be either.
i've had this 20" samsung lcd for a year and i don't really want another one. i can only do so many things at the same time, and i've been pretty happy with multiple (virtual) desktops.

how about a kvm switch meanwhile? they are pretty cheap, but monitors aren't what they used to be either.
i've had this 20" samsung lcd for a year and i don't really want another one. i can only do so many things at the same time, and i've been pretty happy with multiple (virtual) desktops.

I kind of like to go all or nothing. As for dual-display versus virtual desktops, a good chunk of my job involves creating reports and doing research. I end up with so many windows open I lose track of where anything is; I figure if I could actually keep more up on screen it would solve a few problems. The testing phase will just be borrowing the monitor from my work system. Call it a job perk. :biggrin:

Hey guys,

I'm finally able to get back to this project and in another thread, was given the following advice from Richard:

Corey,

Just be aware... install Linux LAST in a dual boot set up. If you don't, windows will clobber your linux install. If you do linux last, linux will recognize the win install and adjust (and set up) accordingly.

Good luck!
Richard

I PM'd him, but in the meantime, I figured I'd ask here as well. I currently have XP installed, so would that qualify as installing Linux last? Thanks!

I PM'd him, but in the meantime, I figured I'd ask here as well. I currently have XP installed, so would that qualify as installing Linux last? Thanks!

Yes. You have windows installed, so you are good to go ahead with installing Linux.

You can do it the other way around, I understand, but a pain.

-Mo

I unstalled Ubuntu 7.4 and had issues with the wireless on my laptop, I upgraded to 7.10 and it found my wireless right away.

Jim

Another question -

What exactly does dual booting mean? In other words, every time I boot my computer, will I be given the option to use Windows or Linux? And Linux will be able to access files and programs from Windows?

Still working on cleaning up and backing up my crucial data onto external media...

Thanks!

Top Bottom