What's new

Linux Mint

Hehe, I just can't let this go. Another question while I'm thinking about it.

In this thread I'm looking in post #1 under Run Ubuntu 7.10 Setup from CD: and I need the following clarification:

I've decided against editing with vi. Does this command (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf) from post 11 substitute steps 4-5 under Run Ubuntu 7.10 Setup from CD: in post 1?

Man, I hope that's not too confusing...

Yes, that will basically substitute steps 4-5. You can also use nano if gedit isn't to your liking.

(Man, these workshops are killing me... I have like a hundred e-mails to go through when I'm back at the office.)

Hehe, I just can't let this go. Another question while I'm thinking about it.

In this thread I'm looking in post #1 under Run Ubuntu 7.10 Setup from CD: and I need the following clarification:

I've decided against editing with vi. Does this command (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf) from post 11 substitute steps 4-5 under Run Ubuntu 7.10 Setup from CD: in post 1?

Man, I hope that's not too confusing...

Corey...
I'm running out the door to get home, so I can't read the full thread right now. HOwever, "gedit" is a text editor just as "vi" is a text editor. Gedit is graphical whereas vi is text-based. Basically, 2 diff progs that do the same thing.

Will read up more later and respond as needed.

Yes, that will basically substitute steps 4-5. You can also use nano if gedit isn't to your liking.

(Man, these workshops are killing me... I have like a hundred e-mails to go through when I'm back at the office.)

I'm pleased to see where I rank on your list of priorities! :lol: Also thanks for the clarification!

Corey...
I'm running out the door to get home, so I can't read the full thread right now. HOwever, "gedit" is a text editor just as "vi" is a text editor. Gedit is graphical whereas vi is text-based. Basically, 2 diff progs that do the same thing.

Will read up more later and respond as needed.

Thanks Richard!

I'm pleased to see where I rank on your list of priorities! :lol: Also thanks for the clarification!

:lol: "Help Corey Install Linux" is not a workshop. I was at bioenergy workshops yesterday and today, and get to go on a lovely tour of some sites tomorrow. You should be proud though, responding to your question was the second thing I did when I stopped in at the office. :biggrin:

:lol: "Help Corey Install Linux" is not a workshop. I was at bioenergy workshops yesterday and today, and get to go on a lovely tour of some sites tomorrow. You should be proud though, responding to your question was the second thing I did when I stopped in at the office. :biggrin:

True. "Help Core Install Linux" is, in fact, the thread that will kill the internet (ie: life as we know it). LOL. But, Corey's being a great sport about it too. By now, I'd have investigated the precise physics governing laptop trajectories as related to the tensile strength of transparent silicate-based structures.

OTOH, maybe we have some shaving goods heading our way if it all works (heeheehee)... I mean... what's a workshop without door prizes??? :tongue_sm

Gee, I hope that wasn't as deadly boring as it sounds.

Gee, I hope that wasn't as deadly boring as it sounds.

You know what? It was actually fascinating. I learned a lot about different biofuel options, including why corn ethanol is crap (0.4:1 output to input ratio). :biggrin:

Besides, this'll probably be my area of expertise in another year or two, so I have to catch up. :tongue:

Edit: Oh yeah, tomorrow I get to see a gasification unit that can obliterate any organic matter. I also learned that a good compost pile can dissolve almost an entire animal carcass in three days; everything but the fur.

You know what? It was actually fascinating. I learned a lot about different biofuel options, including why corn ethanol is crap (0.4:1 output to input ratio). :biggrin:

Besides, this'll probably be my area of expertise in another year or two, so I have to catch up. :tongue:

Edit: Oh yeah, tomorrow I get to see a gasification unit that can obliterate any organic matter. I also learned that a good compost pile can dissolve almost an entire animal carcass in three days; everything but the fur.

Well... I guess if you ever need to dispose of a body and don't mind a little left over fur.... ya know, 3 days, that's actually kinda frightening. Don't tell the Canadian mob (not that there's any such thing as the mob ... anywhere).

edit: I didn't know that about corn eth. Interesting. and not quite the "savior" it is often advertised to be.

talk about being late to the party - it's interesting to read the history though :)

and I should say that the proper definition for Corey is not 'sadist' but 'masochist', or at least a combination of the two.

my thoughts:

0) good thinking on Corey's part about using gedit instead of vi. vi is not for the faint of heart.
1) no responses after presumably issuing that sudo command - sounds like trouble
2) I am surprised that first option in the repartitioning didn't work - basically it reads that it should shrink your windows partition to something smaller (presumably you can choose the size) and then use the newly freed space to create whatever linux needs. I recently installed 7.10 and it makes good choices.
3) Using gparted CD/DVD to just prepare the space first shouldn't be a problem and may go much more smoothly.
4) I thought you had found that installation guide before. Basically all it does is an extra step. That step does a correction on the video info that the Live CD has guessed wrongly so that the installation can continue properly despite the initial confusion. Using the alternative CD which does not include the LIVE part I thought was supposed to be the another option that people have successfully used on your model of DELL.
5) Corey, if you know ahead of time when you are going to be trying it next, and you have access to the other computer at the same time, I'm sure that a chat session will be quite more efficient. Let us know, I'll be willing to help you if I'm available, perhaps somebody else will too.

I guess I'll check on this tomorrow. Good luck with the S&M.

talk about being late to the party - it's interesting to read the history though :)

and I should say that the proper definition for Corey is not 'sadist' but 'masochist', or at least a combination of the two.

<snip>

I guess I'll check on this tomorrow. Good luck with the S&M.

My bad. I do, in fact, know the difference.

Correction: Yay! I'm a Sado-Masochist...because I must be deriving some type of pleasure by inflicting so much pain on myself and others. :biggrin:

1) no responses after presumably issuing that sudo command - sounds like trouble

Do you mean no responses from me? If so, I haven't done anything new yet after I tried to install the Alternate CD and ran into partitioning problems.

3) Using gparted CD/DVD to just prepare the space first shouldn't be a problem and may go much more smoothly.

I'm very close to just doing this right off the bat...

4) I thought you had found that installation guide before. Basically all it does is an extra step. That step does a correction on the video info that the Live CD has guessed wrongly so that the installation can continue properly despite the initial confusion. Using the alternative CD which does not include the LIVE part I thought was supposed to be the another option that people have successfully used on your model of DELL.

Theoretically (<--that's the new buzz word for this thread) I could repartition with gparted and then install using the alternate cd, but I figured, I'm in this deep, so I'll re-burn the lost Ubuntu live cd, hardwire the damn laptop, play around with Ubuntu in a live environment, make sure I like what I see, then go through with a live install (with crossed fingers).

5) Corey, if you know ahead of time when you are going to be trying it next, and you have access to the other computer at the same time, I'm sure that a chat session will be quite more efficient. Let us know, I'll be willing to help you if I'm available, perhaps somebody else will too.

Great suggestion! I'm at work until 6:30pm tonight, then I have a half hour commute, then I have to get up at 4am tomorrow for one more day of work so tonight I'm gonna lay low. I'm planning on tackling this again tomorrow after work and after a cigar and a drink, so I'll check into the chat room around 8pm CST.

Good luck with the S&M.

Thanks! We're in full swing! :tongue_sm

Tonight's the big night. We'll either be putting this baby to bed, or I'll once again be reduced down to a broken, babbling little man carrying on in jibberish about gparted this and ndiswrapper that...

...luckily my wife won't be there to witness it. :biggrin:

Tonight's the big night. We'll either be putting this baby to bed, or I'll once again be reduced down to a broken, babbling little man carrying on in jibberish about gparted this and ndiswrapper that...

...luckily my wife won't be there to witness it. :biggrin:

Oh, come now, let the wife witness it. Every breakdown needs at least one witness at least to remind you of what you missed when you get better. :001_rolle

Seriously, good luck. Now get to work! :a53: <-- official Corey s-m enabler smiley.

Oh, come now, let the wife witness it. Every breakdown needs at least one witness at least to remind you of what you missed when you get better. :001_rolle

Seriously, good luck. Now get to work! :a53: <-- official Corey s-m enabler smiley.

:lol: I'm at work right now. You can't be serious! :wink:

I was gonna make a clever remark about this and maybe even troll the internet for a suitable image to attach for effect, but then I remembered...I'm at work. :lol:

Top Bottom