What's new

Pearl/Matador open comb: shorten blades life?

Hi mates!

I own a Pearl open comb razor from some time ago, and I have been using it sporadically since then.

But last two weeks I have used it more frecuently and I have found that it shorten life of all blades I have tested with it until now: Astra blue, Iridium Super and Schick. None of them lasted more of two or three shaves (I usually do 3-4 passes in my shaves). With other razors I get 4-6 uses without much problems.

Is it this normal? I know that is an aggressive head (I get very close shaves with it) but Merkur Slant is almost the same and didn't shorten life blades so much...

Cheers!

A technique observation may speak to this. Blade angle as we all know can and does affect the quality of shave, but there is a second result, blade longevity. If I rock a razor back on the cap or doors more and truly just have the blade edge licking my face my shave count per blade increases along with comfortability. And the opposite seems to be true, rocking the handle down, making the blade angle steeper generates a poorer outcome all around. My skin is roughed up, the shave is no closer and the blade fails sooner.

Is the built in blade angle steep in the razor?

Top Bottom