What's new

Tried Cella and Tabac

Cella and Mike's are my two personal A+ soaps, but Tabac is one of my 12 or so A soaps. I love to use Tabac one day and Valobra stick--as opposite from Tabac in scent as you can get--the next day. Great performers, both. Tabac reminds me of splashing English Leather on my face before a big date in high school. It reminds me of shag carpets, too, and maybe bellbottoms. Yes, it's not exactly a scent that, say, GQ would feature, but there's an important spot for its brashness in my 25+ rotation.

I didn't think the Tabac smelled all that bad. I thought it smelled better than anything C&E had in their store.

Granted, I just started wet shaving with a DE razor, but Tabac was one of the first soaps I ordered, along with 2 Proraso soaps. I haven't ordered Cella yet but it is on the list. Compared to the canned shaving soap I have used all of my life, I am enjoying the differences in the soaps I have so far and anything is better than the canned stuff. I will say that I think the Tabac is not as strong once lathered but the results I was impressed with, during and after the shave. I like it.

Got my samples of Tabac, Mitchells and Cella from Garry's this weekend.
At first I decided to try the Tabac, but it smelled so damn bad I just threw it away...

If that doesn't describe it I don't know what does. It smells like something a 70 year old would wear - it smells like leather and musky, or makes me think of what a 17th Century Pirate would smell like after shaving with the stuff (besides the horrible BO :tongue_sm)

In all seriousness, it STINKS...that's how bad I dislike it.

BUT, every product has their fans...

So, I decided i'll try the Cella.

Now, Cella, on the other hand, has a nice subdued almond smell. Some people, even I might agree, say it smells like Dr. Pepper - totally agree.
But the Cella gave me the BEST shave I have EVER had to date. Sharp, new blade and it gave me a BBS shave with practically ZERO irritation.
Good stuff, so I'll be ordering a tub of Cella.

Next up to try is the Mitchell's.

My .02

I was just the opposite. Cella gave me a burning face and red bumps the next day.

Just shaved with Tabac for the first time. I'm impressed. Although I think the scent is a bit outdated I don't think it's bad at all. What I really liked however is how dense the lather is while still being very slick. I could make snowballs with Tabac and throw them at my kids.
I shaved 4 days growth to a rare BBS and for the first time experienced no scraping beneath my chin when I went ATG. Cella is a great soap/cream, but did not seem to protect me as much. I like them both and will continue to use them.
I'm 34 and I don't think I'd wear the Tabac scent out, but the smell wasn't that bad at all. It does have an 'old man' smell though - no offense to the older crowd.

LOL, I actually love the smell. I bought the cologne and wear it frequently and I'm 25.

Cool. I don't find it as repulsive as others have indicated, but tolerable and to my liking for a soap. Maybe it will grow on me and I'll grab some edt :biggrin1:

Cella and Tabac are both A-rated and in my weekly rotation. Very similar quality albeit vastly different scents. I was shocked at first by Tabac's scent but I followed the advice to allow it to air out for a few days. Either the scent subsided or I reached olfactory exhaustion. Whatever the reason Tabac is the soap that I use to judge the lather of all others. Cella is "bella"! Great lather, great on the face, lovely almond/cherry scent.

The nice part about the debate and opining on products is there are so many wonderful products out there you can always find something you like.

Smell like a geezer is only a matter of perspective. Embrace your inner geezerness.

After you use TABAC for about a week or 2, then go to another soap, you will see why it sets its own benchmark. Lather, ease of lather, scent,razor glide. You will begin measuring all of your other soaps against it. It just happens.

I'd actually love to do a blind test with women and see what they think of the scent...
I personally think it's a turn off...

Is there a way to get the Cella scent to soften at all? I think Cella is a very good performer, but I still prefer the performance I get from Proraso. I hate Cella's scent, however, but the performance is good enough to keep me coming back for more. Now, ABC, on the other hand ... that stuff performs so ridiculously awesome, I find myself not even caring about the Cella-on-steroids scent it has!

It really is a personal preference issue. I have been using Tabac for a couple of weeks and love the way it lathers. The really funny thing is My older two daughters (22, 19) were going through my shave den last weekend smelling soaps and creams and the 19 year old said she liked Tabac the best. And I have probably 10 different ones MWF, Mike's, Stirling, EJ, TOBS, DR Harris.

I don't find Tabac's scent offensive, but it is far from my favorite shaving scent. Performance wise, Tabac is good enough.

Top Bottom