What's new

Tried Cella and Tabac

Got my samples of Tabac, Mitchells and Cella from Garry's this weekend.
At first I decided to try the Tabac, but it smelled so damn bad I just threw it away...

Tabac smells like this.

proxy.php

If that doesn't describe it I don't know what does. It smells like something a 70 year old would wear - it smells like leather and musky, or makes me think of what a 17th Century Pirate would smell like after shaving with the stuff (besides the horrible BO :tongue_sm)

In all seriousness, it STINKS...that's how bad I dislike it.

BUT, every product has their fans...

So, I decided i'll try the Cella.

Now, Cella, on the other hand, has a nice subdued almond smell. Some people, even I might agree, say it smells like Dr. Pepper - totally agree.
But the Cella gave me the BEST shave I have EVER had to date. Sharp, new blade and it gave me a BBS shave with practically ZERO irritation.
Good stuff, so I'll be ordering a tub of Cella.

Next up to try is the Mitchell's.

My .02

Last edited:
You threw away the Tabac? :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: I think the blow would have been less if you would have simply stated that you're delivering me divorce papers. :biggrin1:

In all seriousness, I am glad you enjoyed the Cella, I haven't tried that one yet.

My wife offered to get me some Depends after I used Tabac. Great shaving performance, but we could not stomach the smell.

It is a shame that you didn't lather the Tabac before tossing your sample. It really is that good and something of a benchmark as far as performance goes in my books.

The scent does grow on you (yeah, I know that fungus does as well :001_rolle)

I just purchased a tub of Tabac yesterday at Mertz. Upon opening I didn't find the smell too bad at all. We'll see how it performs later today.

It is a shame that you didn't lather the Tabac before tossing your sample. It really is that good and something of a benchmark as far as performance goes in my books.

The scent does grow on you (yeah, I know that fungus does as well :001_rolle)

Oh I totally agree. Tabac lathers WONDERFUL (I did try lathering it) but the smell is just nasty to me. Sorry I didn't make the lathering part clear...

Last edited:
Yeah Tabac stinks good to me on somedays but you gotta try it, the performance is incredible :) (edited for better less opinion)

Last edited:
I feel that Cella is the best lather you can get. I've never cared for Tabac soap, but I like the after shave lotion. I don't care for strongly scented soaps/creams.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I feel that Cella is the best lather you can get. I've never cared for Tabac soap, but I like the after shave lotion. I don't care for strongly scented soaps/creams.

Whoa! These are two of my favorites, and I have a small rotation. But that statement is a little over the top. Both are outstanding which is why they are classics. While one may prefer one over the other slighlty in the performance department, neither one is going to blow the other away in the performance department. For me the slight edge goes to Cella, but I'd never say it would "take Tabac right out!"

A little hyperbole, perhaps? ? ?

Whoa! These are two of my favorites, and I have a small rotation. But that statement is a little over the top. Both are outstanding which is why they are classics. While one may prefer one over the other slighlty in the performance department, neither one is going to blow the other away in the performance department. For me the slight edge goes to Cella, but I'd never say it would "take Tabac right out!"

+1

I love both , but I have to say Tabac slightly dries my face while Cella does a better job moisturizing for me..

No. From my expierience with Tabac the lather has never been that good, why I don't know since I don't usually have a problem lathering anything I've tried. Like I said the scent is good, just a little too strong and Cella is a lathering beast.

It's just personal taste, there are no absolutes. Tabac and Cella are fine soaps in their own right. Some soaps are more polarizing than others, a good example is Arko. As always, YMMV !

Tabac is a great soap/cream. The smell changes a bit when it is lathered. I am using both my Tabac And the Irisch Moos very sparingly to make it last. I like it that much.

I think TABAC mellows as the puck breaks in a bit. My first whiff impression was "what do people see in this crap?" But once I used it a few times, it mellowed out. Now the TABAC ASL, I wore it once and it pissed off my nose, and promptly traded it away.

Top Bottom