What's new

muhle r89 vs edwin jagger 89 vs muhle r89 grande

going to get a new one since i gave my wife today my ej89 i had. can someone tell me the differences in these? are they the exact same head? is the finish of the muhle as good as the stellar finish on the edwin jagger? and do you have the grande model and how does it differ shaving wise from the standard?

thanks!!!

Think the heads are finished the same way and at the same level. Handles are a little different. The Grande has better leverage and weight. Much more pleasant for me. And I use the Grande handle on other heads. Very nice.

B

BotSpanx

The heads aren't just manufactured to the same standard, they're manufactured in the same place. The plating on Muhle razors is every bit as stellar as EJ. The grande handle is a little longer and thus adds more weight and shifts the balance away from the head. Whether, or not you like that is a personal preference issue. I've heard some people claim that the shave is milder with a longer handle, and I've heard some people claim it's more aggressive. I find the shave quality identical, but I do think a slightly longer handle is more comfortable for my big hands.

I have the Muhle R89 Grande, it's the first DE I used and am glad it was. Using the Grande first, every other handle seems almost too small.

From what I've read, they're all just about the same head.

The R89 and DE80 were jointly developed by Andreas Muller of Muhle and Neil Jagger of Edwin Jagger, plus a few of their master craftsmen. It's the identical head also shared by the Grande and over 30 other razors.

My R89 seems to be just a tick above my DE89L. Could be because I like the pattern better and nothing else.

The standard R89 handle is perfect for me. Longer than a standard Merkur, but not too long. I like the weight, it seems to be a bit light. I have regular sized hands. I have an obsession with DE razors and have about 10; both stainless and chrome. The R89 gives me the most comfortable shave of all, and is plenty close. I have very sensitive skin. Why this razor is more comfortable than the 89L is a mystery to me

Ron

It seems like you can better buy an Edwin Jagger in the USA. Same head, same quality, and Mühle USA prices are seriously inflated.

Sorry to slightly derail but can someone comment on comparing the Weber Bulldog handle on the regular Muhle R89 head? If so, is there a significant weight/feel difference or not that noticeable?

I don't have large hands (medium, not small), so long handles get in my way. I also use a Merkur Futur in my rotation and find it's handle a bit too long at times and keep going to the R89 when adjustable is not needed.

Sorry to slightly derail but can someone comment on comparing the Weber Bulldog handle on the regular Muhle R89 head? If so, is there a significant weight/feel difference or not that noticeable?

I don't have large hands (medium, not small), so long handles get in my way. I also use a Merkur Futur in my rotation and find it's handle a bit too long at times and keep going to the R89 when adjustable is not needed.

I use this setup on occasion, or the R89 head on an Ikon Bulldog 85mm handle, and for me the extra heft in the handle makes the razor more consistent (at least for me - I seem to have trouble with razors that have more of the weight towards the top - i.e. lighter handles).

ElectroMike. I use mine all the time. It's heavier and feels different, in a good way.

$IMG_4399_1.jpg

Thanks for the comments and the picture! That's what I wanted to accomplish, get more weight at the bottom, without compromising the shave quality of this model.

Did you guys notice if you had to put less or more pressure onto the razor head with the bottom heavy handles, compared to the stock handle?

The grande handle is THICKER aswell. Something I didnt know until I got it.
The diameter of the handle is thicker (14.5 mm) than the standard R89 handle (12.5 mm). The larger diameter provides more grip surface, which makes the razor more stable and less likely to slip. I found the grip to be very comfortable.

I have the R89, but I replaced the handle with the iKon Shavecraft 80mm handle (same as the regular iKon handle but 5mm shorter with no logo). It's a great combo. If i had to do it again, I'd have paid less and got the EJ, since I don't use the R89 handle.

the bulldog handle on the r89/de89 is a vast improvement,my old ej handle is used on a tech head now,after i got the bulldog i never used the original handle on the ej head again.

You guys seriously ROCK!!!:thumbup:

I was seeing if I could order an Edwin Jaggar DE89 for the travel kit and keep the Mühle R89 Grande at home and not change too much of the aggressiveness level since I'm still going through the "ultimate sampler pack.

My suggestion : get the EJ DE89.
It's considerably cheaper than the r89 and r89 grande.
I have the EJ de89L and the EJ de89, both are excellent razors and the handles provide a surprisingly good grip for me.

Amazon prices :
EJ de89l : 34$
Muhle r89 : 58$
Muhle r89 grande : 68$

I don't know why muhle razors cost more for pretty much the same razor as the EJ?!

If at all required you could use the extra money you saved up on the EJ for a SS or brass handle.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the Grande handle, but I've got the EJ barley handle and the Muhle handle. EJ handle feels heavier and better weighted to me, and definitely my preference. But best option (in my opinion) is to get the EJ DE 89 and the Sabi T1 (mainly for the handle). Still less that the Muhle and end up with another razor.

Top Bottom