What's new

Reviving the IOTN thread

Ok folks, I have been very lax over the past few months in starting the "Indulgence of the Night" thread. I would like to remedy that. This particular thread will take us through the Holiday week, and will be started weekly thereafter. This is your chance to share that great meal, drink, smoke, whatever that thrills your evening.

I'll get us started. We didn't have a chance to go food shopping, so the boys and I raided our vegetable garden to make a dynamite salad. We got several kinds of lettuce, fresh peas, and some beets out of the garden. The peas were blanched, the beets were roasted, and everything was chilled down and tossed together with a sherry vinegarette. Add some Maytag blue cheese I had on hand, some fried shallots, and a good loaf of bread, and a good time was had by all. Washed it down with some New Zealand Cloudy Bay Sauvingon Blanc.

After dinner, it was out to the porch for this:
full

Life is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackpoint is GOOD stuff. I went nuts with it at the 2005 Chicago pipe show (I think that's where it was introduced).

What's the pipe? It looks like maybe a Savinelli or a Masto de Paja??

My wife and I put the boys to bed early last night, and had a "Queen & Dean" meal. Here's the menu:

2 beautifully marbled 2 inch thick Angus rib eyes, moistened with some olive oil and then dusted liberally with my special "Cowboy Rub" (equal parts smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, brown sugar, and ground coffee--whirred up in the food processor) and left to come to room temp--grilled to perfection, which in our house means medium rare or less, and topped with a dollop of Maytag blue cheese

a pan of sauteed portobello mushrooms, seasoned with the same spice rub

a salad of fresh field greens, tomatos from the Farmers Market, and croutons--dressed with a lovely Maytag blue cheese dressing

a bottle of J. Lohr cabernet

Oh, baby! This is one of those things that I can do better myself than I can get done professionally--although I do love a good Morton's steak when I'm in Chicago. . .:biggrin:

proxy.php

I'm enjoying some ice cold Shiner Bock this Saturday evening. Brewed in the small town of Shiner, Texas since 1909. Located half way between Houston and San Antonio.

CraigK

We purchased a cooked brisket through a charity event and then baked up some beans and homemade rolls. To drink, we had a bottle of cabernet sauvignon. While dinner was excellent, I'm beginning to envy Mitch and his 2-inch thick, marbled Angus rib-eyes.

HlSheppard said:
Blackpoint is GOOD stuff. I went nuts with it at the 2005 Chicago pipe show (I think that's where it was introduced).

What's the pipe? It looks like maybe a Savinelli or a Masto de Paja??
That's a Savinelli "Bing's Favorite", which I purchased about 20 years ago.

Keep 'em coming, guys, lookin' good! I am jealous of mrob's steak, though....

Here was mine:

full

Here's a review that I couldn't say better of this 10.5% abv wonder:

"Pours a dark brown, with some ruby tinges in it. Head is large, big-bubbled tan, slowly diminishes to some decent lacing. Body has lots of carbonation, and lots of yeasty bits swirling around in it. Aroma is huge, yeasty, vinous, fruity, grapes, raisin, some doughiness, and hints of honey. Flavor is equally huge and complex, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, and changes over time as the brew comes up to room temp. Very full bodied, massively complex flavors and aromas. Very similar to the Westy 12, but seemed to have more lively and lasting carbonation."

A 22 oz. bottle of this will cure what ailes ya! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Howard, that is one of my favorite brews! Don't miss their 6, 8, &10 versions either. They are all distinctive. A bit heavy for summer, though....

Well, I rather "thrive" on heavy beers. :blushing: After all: I'm the guy who drinks a double ristretto every morning! I like a bit more 'flavor' in my life.

The last three batches I've made were over 13%. I'm just about ready to bottle my Avery Brewing "Czar" clone. It should be well ready to drink come Autumn.

Scotto - I tell ya, bud... We were seperated at birth!! :eek:

Howard, have you ever made a pumpkin ale? I've got a few pie pumpkins I'm growing specifically for that purpose. I usually make 1 batch every few years, but last years was better than normal, I have to try the exact recipe again.

I've had many, Art; but I've never made one. I don't have much experience with adjuncts other than honey (which I like because it 'smooths out' flavor and adds alcohol).

Plus, there's PLENTY of quality Michigan honey to be had (albeit at a price).

I'll tell you one thing that I've learned about making a pumpkin ale: Grind your spices fresh! I helped a buddy make a batch (meaning I drank while he worked :biggrin: ) and he actually used a small electric grinder and used WAY more than I thought he would need. He also actually wore a dustmask while doing it.

It smelled like my grandma's kitchen! But it did result in a smooth beer that was in no way too 'spicy' or strong.

Actually I jumped in full throttle when I started my homebrewing, I made 2 IPA's before I jumped into making my first pumpkin beer, then moved to a chocolate beer. Both pretty good, but I probably should have had more experience with "keeping it simple."

You mentioned honey, have you ever made a Mead?

Mead? OH YEAH -

I still have about 8 gallons left of my last batch (in 750ml bottles). It's Orange Blossom sweet mead. Non-carbonated or "still." GREAT stuff!

Since honey never spoils. I have it aging (not that I leave it alone...:001_rolle )

I have two bottles each from the last 3 batches I've made, one batch even moved up here a few years ago with us when we moved from North Carolina.

8 gallons?! YIKES!! What size is your carboy? Or do you brew 2 batches of 5gallons? I usually make 1/2 sparkling and the rest still. My wife preferes to drink the sparkling, but she's been known to drink a warm, still mead in the winter.

AACJ said:
I have two bottles each from the last 3 batches I've made, one batch even moved up here a few years ago with us when we moved from North Carolina.

8 gallons?! YIKES!! What size is your carboy? Or do you brew 2 batches of 5gallons? I usually make 1/2 sparkling and the rest still. My wife preferes to drink the sparkling, but she's been known to drink a warm, still mead in the winter.

I actually used pro equipment for that batch and did just shy of 15 gallons....

It's good to have "connections." :biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you can duplicate North Coast Brewery's Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, count me in for a group buy!:lol:

I used to be quite the mash-meister back in the day. When my kids were born, however, that went by the wayside like many other things. I loved to make mead as well, though I had trouble making them sweet - no matter how much honey I used the yeast would eat everything, resulting in a dry, winelike (but very pleasant) beverage.

I agree on the fresh spices for pumpkin ales - there is no substitute. Also, a lot of the volatile oils wind up getting lost during the fermentation period , so you have to use tons to get a strong profile in the final product.

I used to brew mostly British-style ales. I am a major hophead. :wink:

Top Bottom