What's new

Getting into the art of the straight razor shave

My Dad joined this forum a while back when he got interested in shaving, and he began puchasing a lot of safety razors, and gave me a Gillette Blue Tip. After 2 years, here I am. Living in Ireland for a while, I decided to try something new and purchased a shavette (?), and a few razor blades. I just started shaving with it (we need CLOSE shaves in my career field), but I want to move on to an official straight razor. Any recommendations?

YES! Do it! I used a shavette for 6 years. Never loved it but it was nice. I went to de for a year, that was good also, then straights only since October. Well it took me about 3 months and I get a bbs shave everyday with no irritation. Well worth it IMO. If you decide to purchase a straight, you can see some on the BST section here or whipped dog sells used shave ready razors and you will also need a strop to start out with. Theres lots to learn but nothing you cant handle. 100 years ago there was no other way.

Whipped dog sells you a complete, albeit modest, set of everything you need. The only thing you might consider adding is an inexpensive backup straight for when you inevitably dull one on the strop.

Join us here. The water's warm and we have cookies.

Top Bottom