What's new

My son's first cigar.

My son turned 18 today. After the presents and cake I asked him if there was anything special he wanted to do and he said, "smoke a cigar with my Dad." He know that this is something I only do with my oldest comrades and longtime friends, and usually when camping. I'm breaking him in with an Ashton 30.

He was very taken with the ritual and process. He handled it well and we had a great conversation under the Montana moon that ended with a hug. I think both of us will remember this.

When I turned 18 two years ago, I shared a smoke with my dad and granddad. My grandpa brought out his humidor and had three Dutch Masters in hand (I didn't know anything about my sticks at this point) but after a refusal from my dad, he conceded the prank and brought out Ashton Classic 8-9-8's. Glad he did because after my experience with dutch masters, I probably would have been turned off to cigars forever.

It was a beautiful thing to have 3 generations of Hovey men smoking and shooting the breeze on my birthday. I hope you will have the same experience with his son one day!

ChefJohn,

When my dad was still working 2nd shift, we'd wake up early to go bass fishing on Monday mornings (my day off from caddying) and finish with a cigar in the smoking room at our local tobacconist. He likes his Punches but I preferred a Sancho Panza Valiente before they stopped stocking them. Couldn't beat it for the price. Great memories out on the lake!

My day off varies every week. He is in his busy time. We will hit the rivers for some Stealhead soon I reckon. We shall make it happen :)

Its crazy how the people you know most in life are the ones you never thought you would want to be around when you're a teenager.

MY first cigar was not with my Dad but with a Chaplain to the Police department. Very nice Guy and still a good friend.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great story! I wish I had been able to have an experience like that with my father, but he had stopped smoking by the time I was old enough to join him.

Top Bottom