What's new

First time straight user is confused

Hello, I've been a part of the forums for awhile but I have always stuck to safety razors, until tonight. I had 2 straights honed up and ready to go; a Hamilton in 5/8 and a Geneva, also in 5/8. I figured if one was off, the other one might not be, so I decided to give them both a shot. I honed them on film (progression in microns: 9, 5, 3, 1, .3), about 120 laps on each grit. I then stropped it about 70 laps on a full grain leather belt (it's not quite a Tony Miller or a Kanayama, but I'm still starting here). The razors passed the HHT with flying colors. They popped hairs off very easily. However, when I lathered up and put the steel to my face, I had a less-than-pleasing experience. I didn't slice myself open or cause any weepers, much to my surprise, but I did have a nasty case of tug and pull. Could my honing technique be off, or might it be the angle I was holding the blade to my face? I tried some different angles on holding the blade to my face, but I seemed to get the same results. In the end, I gave it up for the evening and reverted to a Merkur.

Does anyone have any insight as to what I'm not doing correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

My insight...you honed your first blade by yourself. The HHT means squat in reality. Hence, your experience. If you want, send them to me, I'll hone them up for you. Just cover the shipping for the ride home. I'll check your edge, see what happened. First thing I'd say is you don't have any 12 um film, which is a little more aggressive and better to set your bevel. I have an extra pack and will send you a sheet or two back with the razors if you like.

This way you'll know what the razors are supposed to feel like and you can start learning to shave with a straight razor.

I just completed a PDF for using lapping film. If you want it, PM me your email address. It may help. It may not.

To get more detailed, I'd say your bevel wasn't set to begin with. The .3 presents a bit of a "false sharp". It's a harsh feeling sharpness. It will pop hairs, yes. Shave...not so much.

I neglected to include the stones I used prior to the films--the first abrasive substance to hit the blade was an 800 grit Spyderco ceramic stone followed by a 1000 grit Norton, followed by an 1800 grit Spyderco ceramic. Then came the films. Whoops, my fault :blushing:.

I did a fair amount of research before I started to sharpen them, but I probably just need some time with the film. I have 2 more that I need to rescale, after I get those set up I'll send them to you to REALLY know what to expect from a honed razor. Also, I'm going to snag a Poor Man's strop kit when the next paycheck comes in, it's time to start using the right tools for the job. If it were up to me, I'd have an assortment of stones and a couple Jnats and Cotis, but money at the moment is tight (student loans are rough). Thanks for the help!

I neglected to include the stones I used prior to the films--the first abrasive substance to hit the blade was an 800 grit Spyderco ceramic stone followed by a 1000 grit Norton, followed by an 1800 grit Spyderco ceramic. Then came the films. Whoops, my fault :blushing:.

I did a fair amount of research before I started to sharpen them, but I probably just need some time with the film. I have 2 more that I need to rescale, after I get those set up I'll send them to you to REALLY know what to expect from a honed razor. Also, I'm going to snag a Poor Man's strop kit when the next paycheck comes in, it's time to start using the right tools for the job. If it were up to me, I'd have an assortment of stones and a couple Jnats and Cotis, but money at the moment is tight (student loans are rough). Thanks for the help!

Jnats, Cotis...they're cool. But...you can do the same with what you have.

-- Are your stones lapped? Do you have a lapping plate?

-- I think what I'll do is just set the bevel on one razor. Then I will fully hone the next one. That way you can see what your bevel should be like as well. And, you can finish it up and see what you come up with. You'll have to remind me of this, though. Hey, glad to help in any way that I can.

The other day I honed a razor and it popped hairs and then gave a very unpleasant shave....why? The edge was juuuuuussst a bit warped enough that one side didn't touch the honing medium (my case, a coticule). I must have made one side sharp enough to be happy, but the other side was just a (relative) wreck. A redo with that slight warp in mind helped iron things out and the post-followup-hone job came out very nice.

what I keep telling myself: both a serrated knife and a razor can pop hairs and are sharp in their own ways, but I wouldn't want to shave with a serrated knife.

...what I keep telling myself: both a serrated knife and a razor can pop hairs and are sharp in their own ways, but I wouldn't want to shave with a serrated knife.

That sounds like a challenge. We like challenges.

That sounds like a challenge. We like challenges.

Challenge NOT accepted haha.

rickboone1 said:
Are your stones lapped? Do you have a lapping plate?

The stones are lapped, and I have a plate that I put the film on (a flat piece of marble).

rickboone1 said:
-- I think what I'll do is just set the bevel on one razor. Then I will fully hone the next one. That way you can see what your bevel should be like as well. And, you can finish it up and see what you come up with. You'll have to remind me of this, though. Hey, glad to help in any way that I can.

That sounds good. I'll check the razors carefully for warps, maybe that's it. What's the procedure for honing a warped one?

Last edited:
Sometimes learning to use the straight can cause that sensation. Spine should be close to skin and move should be with some effort. Not a lot, but some.

The other day I honed a razor and it popped hairs and then gave a very unpleasant shave....why? The edge was juuuuuussst a bit warped enough that one side didn't touch the honing medium (my case, a coticule). I must have made one side sharp enough to be happy, but the other side was just a (relative) wreck. A redo with that slight warp in mind helped iron things out and the post-followup-hone job came out very nice.

what I keep telling myself: both a serrated knife and a razor can pop hairs and are sharp in their own ways, but I wouldn't want to shave with a serrated knife.

This is where a marker is your friend.

And, to answer the later question about how to deal with it...pay more attention to it...focus on that part. For example, if the toe isn't hitting on one side, I'll hone just the toe for a moment.

This is where a marker is your friend.

And, to answer the later question about how to deal with it...pay more attention to it...focus on that part. For example, if the toe isn't hitting on one side, I'll hone just the toe for a moment.

Yup. It's just sometimes you think you've got enuff skilz you don't need no stinkin' sharpie...then you remember why you have a sharpie in your shave kit, once you get a bad result.

I had to use (and still to to an extent) a buffing motion, shaving a half inch at a time and watch my angle intently. It takes a while to get the hang of it. Off to do a straight shave with a new blade myself right now.

Top Bottom