What's new

Travel Brush

Hi,

I would appreciate some recommendations for a travel brush. I really would like to buy one that folds away into a tube. I am aware that some of the members of this board, from previous posts, advocate taking a normal everyday brush but I would like a travel brush. My current daily brush is from Geo F. Trumper's and is a large Super.

I am wary of the Simpsons Major, which seems nice but appears to have had some bad reviews with people experiencing too much shedding. I also prefer the metal style cases to the mock ivory cases; has anyone had any experiences with the Dovo travel brush or the L'Occitane one.

thank you

-N

The best of the best is the Simpson Major, although I've never used one. I wouldn't worry too much about shedding. Just buy from a reputable dealer and you'll be covered.

Personally, I use a T&H (Vulfix) Turnback Super. It works fine and dries very fast.

Depending on trip length, I keep the C&E Travel Brush in my kit for short trips.

If I'm going to be gone for more than a week, I just pack one of the standbys that I use at home (Duke 2, SR 3824, etc). it's worth it for a long stay

The L'occitaine travel brush is pretty good, I have it, but haven't used it yet-- got it over the holidays.

My favorite, however, is the Muhle travel brush. Container is nicer and I think the head screws into the handle instead of a pressfit like the L'occ. Looked pretty good.

Hench

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I use the Trumper Pure Badger Travel brush that comes in a tube. Good brush for travel but not so good a price. I believe that it currently sells for about $90. I would rather buy a C&E BBB for travel rather than spend that money on a travel brush. You can always store a C&E in a large prescription bottle from a pharmacy.

I have the "Simpsons case" with the case and it rocks as a travel brush. Heck I could lather with it all the time.
It's that nice.
I think the set runs ~ $57 brush and case sold individually.

Tom

The C&E Best Badger works as a travel brush too. I just put it in a soap box. Fits in there just fine along with an Merkur HD and a pack of blades

I have the C&E Travel brush but other than the size and fit in the case, I really don't like the brush itself all that much. If I had to do it over again, I would have just done this (and is what I will probably do in the future):

I would rather buy a C&E BBB for travel rather than spend that money on a travel brush. You can always store a C&E in a large prescription bottle from a pharmacy.

How much travelling do you do?

I started out with an inexpensive QED brush in a tube ($30) and it worked quite well.

I travel a fair bit and have upgraded to a Simpson Major in super ($140).

The turnback style brushes are nice since you get a full size handle.

As for QC, I don't believe I've heard of the Majors being affected - one of the reasons for this is that I understand they use a stronger/different glue since its likely that the brush will be packed damp.

I really like my Major, but its not necessary to spend that much on a travel brush or to have a dedicated travel brush at all.

Lots of folks use an inexpensive boar or synthetic brush so that if they leave it behind in the hotel they won't shed any tears.

The best of the best is the Simpson Major, although I've never used one. I wouldn't worry too much about shedding. Just buy from a reputable dealer and you'll be covered.

Personally, I use a T&H (Vulfix) Turnback Super. It works fine and dries very fast.

Another vote for the Vulfix turnback. Mine is also the T&H version which I got on discount when Ashford was still around. I use my turnback as my everyday brush as it's the same size as Vulfix's full size model, the 2234. So it's a full size travel brush that's good for everyday.

The Simpson's Majors are nice but I've never cared for them as they're too small for my tastes. And yes, they had their problems with shedding. I am aware of one member that had two of them and in the end got put off enough to just get rid of it.

That said, the QC problems at Simpsons seem to be a thing of the past - the shedding issues caused be a bad batch of glue. The hair quality issues also seem to be gone and Simpsons once again are providing very consistent high quality brushes.

Personally I like the T&H turnback very much over the Simpsons Major but this is due to my tastes. I don't think, if you have a liking for them, you could go wrong with them. A few years ago I advised against buying them because of the QC issues but since that seems to be resolved I don't think one should fear buying one anymore. Hope that helps.

Chris

P.S. The T&H Turnbacks, especially in ebony, are just far nicer to look at as well as use IMHO. :lol:

I've got the L'Occitane travel brush. It works fine although I can imagine a screw in head would feel more secure, I've got a feeling the L'Occ brush could feel sloppy after a lot of use. Looks good though.

When it comes to travel.... at least by air.... I go cheap on my brush. I don't want my Vulfix going to Chicago when I'm headed to Atlanta.

I'm going on an extended trip this spring... to Australia... and my travel brush of choice is the $6 BurmaShave Boar Bristle from Walmart. This brush is pretty stiff but works fine with soaps. It will be accompanied by a no-name German knockoff of a Gillette Tech travel razor and a small container of cheapo Classic Almond soap. If this shaving travel kit is lost... no tears will be shed. But I can still get a decent if not decadent shave every day.

Top Bottom