What's new

Backpacking Tent Reccomendations

Gents, I suppose this is a follow on to my last thread on a camp stove. I went to pull the rest of my backpacking gear out of storage and my tent is nowhere to be found. I'm pretty sure a friend borrowed it to take to Guatemala and never returned it, so unless I get lucky and she finds it I need a new tent.

My requirements are pretty simple it needs to sleep two, I always leave my pack outside at night so their isn't any need that. It needs to be low profile, the vents have to zip shut, I've slept in a friends Kelty and froze my butt off due to the drafts since his didn't have vents that closed. And third it has to be light enough to pack, but I don't need the latest and greatest uber light pack, I really don't want to pay that much for a tent.

My previous tent was a slick Eureka! that I don't remember the model, but it was low profile, green and light.

Thank you!

Although I don't have any specific model recommendations for you, Big Agnes is a very well-thought-of maker with the folks at an Appalachian Trail forum that I am currently lurking on--check out their Copper Spur 2, IIRC.

The only drawback to BA tents in general that I can see is that they tend to be single-door designs. If I were sleeping two, I'd prefer 2 doors so you don't wake your tentmate with midnight calls of nature. Hard to argue with their weights, though, and I've got a solo tent of theirs and really like it.

Although I don't have any specific model recommendations for you, Big Agnes is a very well-thought-of maker with the folks at an Appalachian Trail forum that I am currently lurking on--check out their Copper Spur 2, IIRC.

The only drawback to BA tents in general that I can see is that they tend to be single-door designs. If I were sleeping two, I'd prefer 2 doors so you don't wake your tentmate with midnight calls of nature. Hard to argue with their weights, though, and I've got a solo tent of theirs and really like it.

The Copper Spur 2 is a very light tent at only 3 1/2 pounds. It's got 2 doors and a decent amount of room. I've got a Copper Spur 1 myself and like it. However, it's not an inexpensive tent. If weight isn't a very big deal and price is more important, I'd skip the Copper Spur.

I've got a REI Half Dome 2 tent that I bought in 2009 and quite like it. (Full disclosure: I currently work for REI and have for the past year.) I was very impressed with the tent when I went with some buddies to an Oktoberfest in Georgia. We camped out to save money and when we showed up it was absolutely pouring outside. It's raining cats and dogs and we were fortunate that the tent is easy to set up because we couldn't wait to hop inside. I was sure that we'd get wet overnight, but I woke up the next morning and the tent was dry as could be inside. It's a heavy tent; the current model is about 5 1/2 pounds. It's totally backpackable with the right sized pack, through. The sub $200 price tag won't break the bank. Plus, there's currently a 20% off coupon going on now for REI members.

That said, the Half Dome style of tent is pretty common. Big Agnes makes one called the "Lone Spring" that's nearly identical and at a similar price but weighs less. The Kelty Salida is another very similar tent. The Marmot Limelight as well, and at a price near $200. The rectangular and 2-pole (or 2 pole and a cross support) is a tried and true design that I'd heartily recommend.

Keep in mind that if two people are sharing a tent, then both can help carry it. You can't divide the weight load exactly in half, but you can certainly lighten the load by letting one carry the pole(s), stakes, and fly while the other carries the tent. Even a tent weighing six pounds is feasible if you divide the load. And you can always alternate carrying the heavier of the two parts each day.

The Eureka backcountry 2 should meet your needs and Campmor still have them in stock. I would also look at the 5 new tents that Eureka has this year, the Innotrest is something I would consider but I use tents with subdued colors.

i just always take a tarp. If it looks like rain, I set up a small a-frame. If there isn't rain i just lay my bag on the ground and enjoy the stars.

You know I never updated this so here it goes...

I never found my Timberline 2 so I had to buy a new tent. I've done the "tarp in a taco" as I call it, plenty of times when I was scouting and even after, it's so simple and light. This isn't an option when I'm taking my wife and bird dog along for the ride so I had to find something. I ended up buying a Kelty Trail Ridge 2., it was a lot lighter than my old tent and a little nicer too. I liked that it has two doors and vestibules for both doors, and it's light weight.

We are going backpacking this weekend so I may start a new thread once I get everything sat out to pack.

Have a great time! I need to get my kiddos introduced to camping and hiking, they're 4 and 6 and have never been.

The tent seemed to work well for us this weekend. It stayed reasonably warm, but it was cold on Friday night! We ended up with a chilly Pudelpointer snuggled up between us before the night was over. He preferred between us on half of my ground pad wrapped in my poncho liner than his flannel bed at the bottom of the tent.

The dual doors and vestibules were great and I'm glad I went with it. I had to get up twice Saturday night to use the bush and it was handy to not wake my wife up each time climbing over her.

Thank you to everyone who helped and offered advice, it is what makes this board so great!

A poncho, some 550 cord, a few boughs, a good sleeping bag and a foam pad kept me warm in dry in Washington a few falls back. It's not fancy and won't keep your dry in a torrent, but it works for normal needs. It will only sleep one though...you need an extra poncho for 2.

I say that in jest, but it really isn't a bad option if the weather is going to be pretty nice. A ranger diamond tent made form the poncho with something to help block the entrance will keep a good bit of warmth in. I'd be weary of only using that if rain or really cold temps are in the forecast though.

Late-ish to the thread but I bought a demo model North Face Roadrunner tent with the money I got when I got my Eagle Scout award. It leaked like a sieve... More seam sealer. Much better!

Anyways, It is like the OP's Kelty, two doors, two vestibule... I've had on top of three feet of snow (Brrr), In the summer without the fly on (Keep the bugs away at least in mosquito territory) and with the fly on at many times through the year.

One has to appreciate two doors and two vestibules.

I have been using Sierra Designs for many, many years...properly dried and seams kept sealed I have no complaints..if I were to look for new Big Agnes gets kudos from alot of people...REI has always been a great product....I started with Eureka 40 years ago with the simple Timberline...it withstood 40-60- mph winds, rain , snow, etc,, and finally just fell apart....There are a lot of great products out there...It really comes down to your wallet.

Stephenson Warmlite is the ultimate, a four season tent that weighs just a little over three pounds, handmade to order.

Stephenson Warmlite is the ultimate, a four season tent that weighs just a little over three pounds, handmade to order.

Stephenson's are high end, technical tents cbird. I could have thrown Hilleberg in the mix but I think the OP is looking for something a little more affordable than what us gearheads are willing to spend.

+1 on the REI Passage tent.

I don't have experience with the 2 person variety, but I did pick up a solo version of this tent last summer during a members sale. Absolutely love it. Lightweight, well-built, easy set-up, etc. It is a very basic tent, not a lot in the way of bells and whistles. At the time I purchased this tent, I was weighing out 2 options. The debate came down to the Passage or an L.L. Bean Microlight. With REI dividends and sale pricing, I decided on the solo Passage (as it was almost free for me by the time all that added up) and I don't regret it. A friend of mine ended up purchasing the 2 person L.L. Bean Microlight and he is very satisfied with it. I gotta admit, that L.L. Bean is a darn fine tent (honestly probably a shade nicer than my Passage,) but I wouldn't recommend it to the OP. What I love most about the Microlight goes directly against one of your requirements. It is almost entirely mesh and wouldn't do much to keep you warm on a winters night. If freezing your butt off is an issue for your location/circumstances, it may not be the tent for you.

However, the REI Passage is a great base model tent that I wholeheartedly recommend.

Top Bottom