What's new

Ive decided to get a gentlemans folder

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A basic Buck hollowground folder is pretty cheap and the more classically designed models to me qualify as a gentlemans folder. They do several sizes.

A basic Buck hollowground folder is pretty cheap and the more classically designed models to me qualify as a gentlemans folder. They do several sizes.

That's how I feel about my Case Pocketworn Stockman. It wasn't "cheap" at around $60, but wasn't so expensive that it would be, to me, more "jewelry" than a useful tool.
Classic design like grandpa's old folders, and I get compliments any time I let someone at work use it.

$stockman.jpg

proxy.php

This is the little Buck knife I carry. Called a Model 55 since it's considered the little brother to the Model 110. The blade measures about 2 3/8".

Here's one that I'm not suggesting (Though I would suggest it if you are willing to part with some cash), but just showing because it is a gorgeous knife and Tim's craftsmanship is amazing, right down to the tiniest detail. This is, I believe, one of his earlier takedown folders, as it has hex screws instead of his newer screws. The mother of pearl has quite some character and the blade is 154cm. I also have the tool that he made for the screws.
Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic and it was just starting to rain.

Last edited:
That is truly a great definition; I also second your opinion of a Stag handle. I prefer the Case Copperlock with a Stag handle.

When I think of a gentleman's folder, I would think of a traditional design, like the knife your granddad had in his pocket. Wood or antler scales, and a traditional clip point blade. No gimmicks like one handed opening, or belt clips. If there is a brand imprint, or metal badge, then it should be subtle and classy.

I've seen bees with more details (on very expensive Laguiole knives). The most important thing is that you like that knife! Besides, you're buying a knife, not a bee :wink2:

Having researched Laguiole knives a bit, and having seen some low quality Chinese imports in person now :mad3: , the bee on yours looks fine! Not the high end ultra-expensive, but definitely "upwards of the middle" :001_smile ... and made in France!

Not sure how you define Gentleman's Knife but this is what I had for many years in my pocket. (The one at the bottom in the photo). It was a Benchmade 310 2" Auto, 154CM. It appealed to me for its thin and elegant design. Very sharp. Lost the little guy a couple years ago. Unfortunately not made any longer. So, I contacted Benchmade with a plea to remanufacture it. They said they would consider it. Still waiting.

$image.jpg

For me, a gentleman's folder definitely should have wood, or another natural material, on the handle. For me, as a European, I would also add that it should have been made by a reputable European manufacturer (e.g. from Solingen, Thiers, or Sheffield). However, I can see how that would be different for non-Europeans.

Top Bottom