What's new

Compass recommendation

So.... The zombie Appocolypse is upon you and you have to get from where you are to where you're gonna hide out. What's your compass of choice, and why?

Ken

Easy one here a Cammenga #417 (3H ) tritium lensatic compass.... this is military grade and was issued to us in the Military the other option is non tritium and works just as well but you need to recharge in the sunlight for night use whereas the tritium version has a radioactive isotope that will illuminate on it's own.... btw no it will not cause cancer and is safe to keep on your body even though there is a radioactive element present. I did not purchase mine here... mine was military issue but this is the same one for sale on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/OFFICIAL-MILI...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 Ohhhh yeah why do I recommend it.... because it's accurate ... can take one hell of a beating though not recommended too.... can be used with both MIL ( if you need aerial strikes lol ) or with UTM. I have also in the woods mapped out personal maps using nav points and pace counts very accurately. I would seriously and don't mean to seem too dramatic but I would trust this compass with my life and actually have trusted it with my life and what do you know I'm here to write about.

Last edited:
I like that! Nice!

I should have added, this is my Suunto from my surveying days:

proxy.php

35 years old and still going strong.

Ken

Silva Ranger. Its what I've used for years.

Thanks, I've always liked Silvas. Good solid brand. I had one years ago (low end) The fluid leaked out. I also have a big K&E which is very nice for recon work, but I prefer the sighting on the Suunto.

I'm kinda surprised this thread didn't get more activity. I figured there were tons of high end compass guys out there. Maybe I'm too old school :001_rolleand everybody is GPS now? Hey, I can GPS too but there's something to be said for good old orienteering work.

Ken

Last edited:
Silva Rangers here, but I understand the newer Chinese made ones aren't quite the same.

I've used and instructed others on the use of the military lensatic compass, but I'm pretty certain that for most folks the orienteering style compass is the way to go.

Navigation with a compass is teetering on the point of being quaint, but I'm still more comfortable having something that doesn't run on batteries and won't go on the fritz if it's dropped to back up my geewhizzery. I don't expect the GPS satellite system to go away in any scenario that's not impossibly ugly to contemplate, but it's nice to have the skills if your receiver doesn't work. Plus, it's fun.

Easy one here a Cammenga #417 (3H ) tritium lensatic compass.... this is military grade and was issued to us in the Military the other option is non tritium and works just as well but you need to recharge in the sunlight for night use whereas the tritium version has a radioactive isotope that will illuminate on it's own.... btw no it will not cause cancer and is safe to keep on your body even though there is a radioactive element present. I did not purchase mine here... mine was military issue but this is the same one for sale on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/OFFICIAL-MILI...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 Ohhhh yeah why do I recommend it.... because it's accurate ... can take one hell of a beating though not recommended too.... can be used with both MIL ( if you need aerial strikes lol ) or with UTM. I have also in the woods mapped out personal maps using nav points and pace counts very accurately. I would seriously and don't mean to seem too dramatic but I would trust this compass with my life and actually have trusted it with my life and what do you know I'm here to write about.

+1

I use one of these on a weekly basis for one training event or another, and they're great. With the non-tritium ones, they can be charged with a flashlight also. They're definitely the most accurate that I have used, but also different than most of your contemporary map compasses. Once you get the techniques down, they're pretty dead on.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Silva ranger here too, I also have a brunton pocket transit, but for I like the ranger better when working off a topo.

The K&R Dakar is the best if you know how to use a compass for land navigation. It has a long clear baseplate with sighting and adjustable declination.

The K&R Dakar is the best if you know how to use a compass for land navigation. It has a long clear baseplate with sighting and adjustable declination.

I might grab one of those for a back up, I've just recently returned to backpacking.

I've used a Silva Type 7 that was made in Finland since I was 13 or so. I still use it when I'm sailing for shooting a quick bearing.

That K&R Dakar looks interesting, the one reviewer on Amazon claimed it didn't have adjustable declination. That's one of the few features I'd look for in a simple baseplate compass, 'cause math and memory while I'm cold and tired aren't my strong points.

In the OP's original scenario we were dealing with the Zombie Apocalypse, an unlikely event but we can assume the Zombies ate the GPS system.

In real life, however, I'm curious as to how the compass enthusiasts here navigate. For around town it's generally my cell phone, and I'll admit to not having a backup in the car. Probably should fix that. If I'm taking a long car trip to unfamiliar territory, I'll take my Garmin Etrex Legend to back up the phone.

If I'm out in the boonies (increasingly rare, unfortunately) I'm taking my Garmin Etrex Legend loaded with the appropriate maps, but I'll always have that Silva Ranger with me, and a paper map, usually a quad. I've not yet been forced to use the map and compass, but sometimes I'll navigate the old way and verify with the GPS if needed, just for fun.

I think the most likely real scenarios that involve compass work nowadays involve GPS receiver failure or using the compass by choice for sport. In the former case, simple and rugged is best for most folks, and I think they'd be better served by a simple baseplate compass and a laminated instruction card then anything more complex. The dinky "survival" compasses are better than nothing, but I'd want a baseplate type myself. The only thing I can see going for the survival types is that they often come with a kit that includes a whistle and fire starter, two extremely useful items.

The one feature that I do like about the current Silva Rangers vs. my older one is the map magnifier.That could be a good way to start a fire. Any mirror sighting compass is a good tool for signalling searching aircraft. I often used my Ranger mirror for shaving in the field, but only because the mirrors on the vehicles sometimes got a little crowded in the morning.

The military lensatic type is just a little more complex, and that's not a good thing in an emergency for the non enthusiast. Self luminous is nice, but I'd think in a real lost in the woods scenario, walking around in the pitch dark isn't the wisest course of action. Joe average hiker/hunter would be better served staying put, building a fire and making some shelter.

In the second case when it's a choice and the user is an enthusiast, then whatever floats yer boat.

I don't know.... I see alot of people talking about Silva and they do make a fine compass but when I think of Silva I'm thinking about orienteering....you know know like a map and compass race to the finish....I never liked sighting with one either.... Just my personal preference. Again I'll recommend the Cammenga 3H if you are specifically talking about a zombie apocolpyse which I equate to basically being in hostile surroundings over in the brush or desert or wherever I promise seriously I promise the 3H is what you want. Pick a nav point may it be a tree a hill top or whatever mark your degree and reverse azimuth while your at it and you will get there and back. with a silva if I'm not mistaken your very map dependent. Don't get me wrong I use a UTM grid scale all the time to plot my route on a map as well but I can fly with or with out a map.

Last edited:
I have a Silva that started its service in 1984, it is still in my survey vest as a back up. I can sight the same tree you mention, take the same back azimuth, and get to where I want to go. What happens if you cant see where you want to go? But you know where you are and have a map. Essentially any compass does the same thing, points north or south, used to strike out, used to triangulate for orienteering. Anything after that is bells and whistles. Curious if the Cammenga 3H compensates for magnetic declination?

Last edited:
And just because its mil spec, doesn't make it accurate. I've turned in a couple because they exceeded the +/-3 degree deviation allowed. What we had was a table to lay the compass in, and compare what it reads vs what it should. And factor that deviation plus declination. Want to get fancy with a mil spec? Use an M3 and run mil azmuths. There's some overkill for you.

And just remember, mil spec equipment is made by the lowest bidder.

I preferred running a Silva Ranger vs a lensatic, because it was faster and I was terrain associating to get where I needed to be. Even on a land nav course that may have multiple points 50m apart, after an 800-1500m leg. terrain associate close, find an attack point to dead recon from over a minimum distance. And once I was a leader, I'd run a Suunto wrist compass to spot check my primary navigator using a lensatic or whatever he had.

So, my Ranger lives in my flight vest full time with my Etrex on trips away from the house, another is in my truck, and I have a small silva in my shave kit.

Last edited:
I learned orienteering with a Silva from a former Recondo who served in Vietnam. My preferred compass is the lensatic.

Top Bottom