What's new

Compass recommendation

Topgumby. post #55. has some great info on this subject. Google (in your area) to see if there are any compass, and or navigation clubs near you. Sounds a bit silly, but these groups are formed for recreation, and also as part of survival training. Read online all you can, and actually go to a place called a library. Probably the most important piece of info. that I can add to this is practice, practice, practice...Good luck.....Ron

Orienteering as a sport is a somewhat different thing and, while a great deal of fun, uses somewhat different maps and compasses, as well as different map symbols, than is typical for general land navigation. If you're interested in the sport, see http://web.williams.edu/Biology/Faculty_Staff/hwilliams/Orienteering/o~index.html for a good starting point.

I was asking more about navigation, but orienteering as a sport does sound interesting. I bet my son would enjoy it.

Interesting thread... I have used a Silva Ranger since I was in scouts, and the same compass sits in my bag today. There's a couple of compass' I'll probably look up as a result of this thread. It's interesting that looking around just now, the Silva's look like they are no longer the quality they used to be? Mine is an old made in Finland model, but the new ones are not Finnish anymore?

I was asking more about navigation, but orienteering as a sport does sound interesting. I bet my son would enjoy it.

Interestingly, orienteering clubs have some of the best maps around. I have a 1:15K map of the state park where I hike that is much better than the 1:24K topo of the same area. We routinely use 1:5K maps during sprints. It's a new experience navigating by using the individual fallen trees that are designated on the map. :)

Interestingly, orienteering clubs have some of the best maps around. I have a 1:15K map of the state park where I hike that is much better than the 1:24K topo of the same area. We routinely use 1:5K maps during sprints. It's a new experience navigating by using the individual fallen trees that are designated on the map. :)

I agree ..... I still use my lensatic but the detail on a 1:15k map will surely be better than a 1:24k or smaller topo and be easier to navigate. I use orienteering maps in my state parks as well.

Think of orienteering as speed navigation with very detailed, small scale maps. For traditional landnav, FM 3-25 is a great, but very Field Manualish resource. Hitting your local library for books on map and compass work is a safe bet, there's lots of good ones.

Chances are if you have a smart phone there's a free app for a compass.

I have a few and like fooling around with them a lot. I think there is a huge potential for a learning app that would plot and verify compass courses.

Interesting thread... I have used a Silva Ranger since I was in scouts, and the same compass sits in my bag today. There's a couple of compass' I'll probably look up as a result of this thread. It's interesting that looking around just now, the Silva's look like they are no longer the quality they used to be? Mine is an old made in Finland model, but the new ones are not Finnish anymore?

This question has a complicated and confusing answer, but the short version is the compasses made for Silva USA aren't made in Sweden anymore, and haven't been for awhile, and most compass nerds think the quality isn't as good (I agree after handling one). I think your compass is made by Suunto since it's from Finland, not Sweden, although it could be a Recta, (Suunto purchased Recta in 1996). Any of the Swiss, Swedish or Finnish compasses are highly regarded, and the US made Brunton line looks promising, too. A European compass isn't magical...Ebay is full of Silvas, Suunto and other compasses with visible bubbles in the vials.

Thanks for the hint. There are a few maps around my area, and I'm keen to use 'em.

BTW, I did get that third Ranger (all made in Sweden, all the same basic compass with small variations in markings) along with the M-9 Wrist compass. Now each son has one gifted to them and dad is keeping the one he used in the Marines. That M-9 is a hoot, I think I'll have to hang onto that one....if anybody who has one can make a scan of the instructions for it I'd be grateful.

Top Bottom