What's new

Compass recommendation

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There is some time that will be remembered. One of the things I recall was my best friend's dad teaching my friend and I about electricity and magnetism, a few years before it was taught in school. One of the "experiments" was placing a compass on top of a lamp cord then observing what happened to the compass needle when the light was turned on.

Great stuff.

Happy to report I put this thread into action.

Printed out a Topo of the local area, and took the two boys and their cousin out to a local park and hit a trail. Went to a small lake I'd never seen before, despite growing up around here. The boys got a chance to do a little actual map orientation, a resection and we made some route choices on the fly based on our estimation of where we were.

Certainly no back country adventure, but it was gratifying to see the little lightbulbs go on over those heads when they saw the theory at work "in the field".

Oh, and despite my already owning two Silva made Rangers that have served me without fail for years, I've now got the itch to get one of those Suunto rigs with the global needle....CAD at work?

Another update.

Have been on two day hikes, both about 6-7 miles with the two boys. First was at a regional park with a maze of trails, some not well marked. Had the boys work out our position with map and compass, and they both "got it". I printed out topos of the area with Garmin basecamp, along with a .pdf the county had posted, so our area had to fit on an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet. Stuck the printouts in gallon ziplocks. Worked great.

Second was a more linear trail, so we only used the map and compass to estimate distance travelled. Found out that a ziplock bag doesn't want to stay put in a back pocket. Went to grab my map and it was gone. Used the electronic map on the GPS for the rest of the hike.

Couple of lessons learned, and a good time had by all.

Depends on the planned events of the day. That said there are just 2 compasses that I carry. Either a Marbles brass housed button compass or a Cammenga military lenstatic compass. The Marbles is in my pocket most often when hunting known areas. Likewise when hiking known areas the Marbles is in the pack. If I'm headed into unfamiliar bush or going to an x,y spot on the map the lenstatic is the ticket.

I use a Silva explorer, I don't have any high speed low drag applications for it; just a back up to GPS and a SHTF/ bug out use but it gets me where I need to be.
Kw Driver I don't want to sound stupid but how can a compass be 3 degrees out, always thought even a magnetized needle would point to magnetic north, I would like to know as this stuff fascinates me.

There is some time that will be remembered. One of the things I recall was my best friend's dad teaching my friend and I about electricity and magnetism, a few years before it was taught in school. One of the "experiments" was placing a compass on top of a lamp cord then observing what happened to the compass needle when the light was turned on.

This has real-world practical application.
The most common roadway vehicle sensor technology is still the inductive loop. Video, radar, infrared, and other new technologies are making their mark, but inductive loops (which began to replace pressure plates in the '70s) are still the most common.

So say a contractor installs 16 loops and pulls the home-run wires into the corner box, but they did not properly identify the pairs.
You now have 32 terminations and have no clue which of the 16 loops they are connected to.

So you start with an ohmmeter and find where you have continuity. At least now you have 16 matched pair.
How do you find out which is which in the road?

Lay a compass on each one, and one by one, connect each pair to the cabinet lead in cable.
When the compass spins, you've identified the pair associated with that loop.

In basic, I learned how to navigate with the use a lensatic compass. I further learned on a lensatic compass in AIT. When I was in RVN, I was a squad leader for nearly five months. I have called in artillery, navigated through triple canopy jungle, rubber plantations, delta rice paddies etc. using a lensatic compass. In Panama, in 1970 I instructed a class for shake, and bakes in land navigation,(mainly under jungle conditions) by the use of a lensatic compass. Over the years I have hunted in terrain that was rather rough in It's structure, and I navigated it with the aid of a lensatic compass. A lensatic compass, and a topo map is basically all one needs to navigate through any terrain. In fact I have thrown my intuitions out the window more than once, and depended on my lensatic compass, and it never let me down. So I think it is a safe bet for me to choose a lensatic compass. This has worked for me, yet maybe not you. Whatever you are most comfortable with, I guess I would suggest you go with that. One thing I do know for sure is that practice, practice, and when you think you have mastered your compass, practice more. IMHO...Should probably add that in the current military compasses are probably a thing of the past. I would venture to say that navigation is probably done by electronic means if I had to guess.

Last edited:
In basic, I learned how to navigate with the use a lensatic compass. I further learned on a lensatic compass in AIT. When I was in RVN, I was a squad leader for nearly five months. I have called in artillery, navigated through triple canopy jungle, rubber plantations, delta rice paddies etc. using a lensatic compass. In Panama, in 1970 I instructed a class for shake, and bakes in land navigation,(mainly under jungle conditions) by the use of a lensatic compass. Over the years I have hunted in terrain that was rather rough in It's structure, and I navigated it with the aid of a lensatic compass. A lensatic compass, and a topo map is basically all one needs to navigate through any terrain. In fact I have thrown my intuitions out the window more than once, and depended on my lensatic compass, and it never let me down. So I think it is a safe bet for me to choose a lensatic compass. This has worked for me, yet maybe not you. Whatever you are most comfortable with, I guess I would suggest you go with that. One thing I do know for sure is that practice, practice, and when you think you have mastered your compass, practice more. IMHO...Should probably add that in the current military compasses are probably a thing of the past. I would venture to say that navigation is probably done by electronic means if I had to guess.

#1 I really should list myself as a veteran status..... second yeah we all went through basic learning on a lensatic compass in my time it was a cammenga 3H with iridium illimunation..... I still firmly believe that lensatics are the most versatile compasses that anyone could use. Back when this thread first started I said this and I got slammed pretty hard about it but I still stand behind it now. that compass has ot me out of literally no where but sand. using my map ,triangulation and back to base so I really don't care what anyone says the 3H is a winner in my book....... though I agree YMMV but even a boy scout just dead reckoning could use a lensatic better than most others on the market and actually learn about navigation..... just my .02

Hey, no disrespect here for Uncle Sam's compass. It's rugged and you'll never get a bubble in the capsule or worry about the liquid leaking out, and they are well designed for getting accurate readings.

I prefer the mirrored sighting compass, typified by the Silva Ranger for my own sporting use for a few reasons.

1. Lighter weight. The military lensatic is a soldier resistant tank, and that's a good thing. For my needs, lighter is a worthwhile trade for something that's still sturdy but not as robust as the GI compass.
  2. Ease of instruction. The "1-2-3" system is hard to beat when teaching kids, built in declination correction is a real help, and the mirrored sighting compasses avoid a minor weakness of some straight baseplate models....it's almost impossible to turn the damn thing the wrong way.
  3. The clear plastic baseplate is handier on a map.
  4. The built in mirror is handy. I've used it as a shaving mirror, and for self inspecting for ticks and objects in the eye. Haven't had to flag down an aircraft, but it'd do it.
  5. Cost. I got my "Rangers" on the cheap, although the difference between straight retail on the Tritium Cammenga and current "real deal" Ranger, the MC-2 or MC-2G from Suunto and made in Finland, is pretty negligible. In fact, if I had to choose between a new Cammenga and a current production Silva, I'd be inclined to choose the Cammenga. Silva USA may have licked the QC problems that you see referenced in online reviews for the models built in Asia, but I doubt they are as good as the European versions.

That said, if I went out in the woods with a GI lensatic Cammenga or the earlier versions from various other contractors ( I think the one I used most was Stocker and Yale) I'd feel like a had a great compass with me.

Between the two types, the real limiting factor would be my knowledge and skill, and it's easier for me to remember the drill on the baseplate rig.

Hey, no disrespect here for Uncle Sam's compass. It's rugged and you'll never get a bubble in the capsule or worry about the liquid leaking out, and they are well designed for getting accurate readings.

I prefer the mirrored sighting compass, typified by the Silva Ranger for my own sporting use for a few reasons.

1. Lighter weight. The military lensatic is a soldier resistant tank, and that's a good thing. For my needs, lighter is a worthwhile trade for something that's still sturdy but not as robust as the GI compass.
  2. Ease of instruction. The "1-2-3" system is hard to beat when teaching kids, built in declination correction is a real help, and the mirrored sighting compasses avoid a minor weakness of some straight baseplate models....it's almost impossible to turn the damn thing the wrong way.
  3. The clear plastic baseplate is handier on a map.
  4. The built in mirror is handy. I've used it as a shaving mirror, and for self inspecting for ticks and objects in the eye. Haven't had to flag down an aircraft, but it'd do it.
  5. Cost. I got my "Rangers" on the cheap, although the difference between straight retail on the Tritium Cammenga and current "real deal" Ranger, the MC-2 or MC-2G from Suunto and made in Finland, is pretty negligible. In fact, if I had to choose between a new Cammenga and a current production Silva, I'd be inclined to choose the Cammenga. Silva USA may have licked the QC problems that you see referenced in online reviews for the models built in Asia, but I doubt they are as good as the European versions.

That said, if I went out in the woods with a GI lensatic Cammenga or the earlier versions from various other contractors ( I think the one I used most was Stocker and Yale) I'd feel like a had a great compass with me.

Between the two types, the real limiting factor would be my knowledge and skill, and it's easier for me to remember the drill on the baseplate rig.
Good points all. The best being Knowledge. I would suggest to anybody who is interested in learning how to use a compass would be not to sit on your sofa, shoot an azimuth to your television. Walk over to your television shoot a back azimuth, to your sofa, and say yeah I got this thing down. Pack a day bag, bring along some copy paper, or whatever. Make your own map. Have fun, and enjoy being in the out of doors.

Good points all. The best being Knowledge. I would suggest to anybody who is interested in learning how to use a compass would be not to sit on your sofa, shoot an azimuth to your television. Walk over to your television shoot a back azimuth, to your sofa, and say yeah I got this thing down. Pack a day bag, bring along some copy paper, or whatever. Make your own map. Have fun, and enjoy being in the out of doors.

Great advice !!!! regardless of the type/brand of compass... just one thing....... Google azimuth, back, azimuth, dead reckon, triangulate first hey here is a great link but it is really geared towards lensatics but the principles are true to all. http://www.landnavigation.org/Pages/default.aspx now this is the actual US MIL guide used for lensatic compasses but all you need to do is omit that word and it will give you a lot of good terms, how to's and a basic- advanced navigation lessons with tests and answers if you down load the .pdf's for free.

The Cammenga MIL lensatic compass can be relied upon in both war and peace.

Ron, we still train with them. Anything else is a paperweight when you need it most.

The Cammenga MIL lensatic compass can be relied upon in both war and peace.

Ron, we still train with them. Anything else is a paperweight when you need it most.

And there's the rub. Nothing wrong with a GI lensatic, but there are other compasses out there that give up very little to the Cammenga and beat it in some respects. The SEALS are using the SUUNTO M2G, there have been various Silva compasses in US and other military service (The Ranger started out life as a Swiss military model) and while there are junky compasses out there, a good baseplate model is hardly a paperweight.

It's good to see that the military tradition of overblown hyperbole is still alive and well, however :001_smile

And there's the rub. Nothing wrong with a GI lensatic, but there are other compasses out there that give up very little to the Cammenga and beat it in some respects. The SEALS are using the SUUNTO M2G, there have been various Silva compasses in US and other military service (The Ranger started out life as a Swiss military model) and while there are junky compasses out there, a good baseplate model is hardly a paperweight.

It's good to see that the military tradition of overblown hyperbole is still alive and well, however :001_smile

You are correct and it was not me who called them paper weights but I never heard anyone paint a target with a silva,......or get out of harms way with a gander mountain special...btw I love gander mountain. We active or veteran serviceman kind of get a sentimental attachment to our gear positive or negative..... so we stand behind it because chances are it saved our behinds more than once. Now if I was doing a orienteering race for fun I'm all about silva.

Silva Ranger and/or Brunton Type 15 lensatic for map work while hiking or backpacking. Both are in my pack - two is one, one is none. I carry a GPS, but only for miles traveled/time moving to log calories expended. I use a Suunto Arrow 6 thumb compass for orienteering.

I'm sorry to jump into this thread without somthing to offer, but I have a question. Where could one go to learn some orienteeing skills? Is an online course a viable way to learn? I like to camp and hike, but I feel like this is skill I need to learn incase I loose the trail or in a bug out situation (worst case scenario).

I'm sorry to jump into this thread without somthing to offer, but I have a question. Where could one go to learn some orienteeing skills? Is an online course a viable way to learn? I like to camp and hike, but I feel like this is skill I need to learn incase I loose the trail or in a bug out situation (worst case scenario).

Topgumby. post #55. has some great info on this subject. Google (in your area) to see if there are any compass, and or navigation clubs near you. Sounds a bit silly, but these groups are formed for recreation, and also as part of survival training. Read online all you can, and actually go to a place called a library. Probably the most important piece of info. that I can add to this is practice, practice, practice...Good luck.....Ron

Top Bottom