What's new

best sandal wood shave cream?

The other day, I went down to a shave shop in Adrian, Mi. I purchased some after shave that my wife found there the last time we visited and she fell in love with it (Taylor of old bond street Blue label). So I had some money that was burning a hole in my pocket and purchased it. As a bonus or just regular business, the owner gave me some sample packs of Edwin Jagger products, one being the sandalwood shave cream and a/s lotion. Both smell amazing and I am sure it works great, I am going to use them for tonight's shave. Knowing that EJ is a bit too pricey for me to use on a regular basis does anyone have a recommendation for a decent sandalwood shave cream/ soap?
thank you in advance
brian

The Proraso Red is the only sandalwood scented shave cream I have tried so far, and I really like it. I did try a sample of the EJ sandalwood aftershave lotion and found that while I like the smell, it was a bit overpowering.

Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood made my face burn.... and so did Proraso Red the ONE time I used it. TOBS Sandalwood was pretty nice and I had no reaction to it.... but ultimately I ended up going with a tub of GFT Sandalwood. It's the best I've tried so far.

Ben

I have tried a bunch and my favorite is AOS Sandalwood (tallow version) followed by Dr. Harris Marlborough even though its not a true sandalwood. Not sure what everyone sees in QCS though.

I have tried T&H, GFT, CF Cedar & Sandalwood and Edwin Jagger Sandalwood creams. Found the CF not to my liking scentwise but as always great lather, GFT a little too subdued. I liked the T&H but liked the EJ even more. Also bought the EJ A/S

AoS lathers really well (and really easily) but it's expensive and it smells like artificial sandalwood, very strong, but not long-lasting. Proraso Red smells like what sandalwood actually smells like, but it also has shea butter in it, and that bothers some people's skin.

The actual sandalwood in Proraso may irritate the skin.

I, too, like the AoS, and a little goes a long way: just dip the brush tips into the tub, no swirling, and go.

Hands down AOS. In fact, I like AOS so much that I often sniff my brush when walking past. I've tried other sandalwood creams including TOBS, Proraso, and QCS but none of them come close from a scent perspective. In fact, I've tried a quite a few samples of other scents as well and while I've found a couple I like, they are a distant second to AOS Sandalwood. AOS Sandalwood is like the crack cocaine of shaving creams. I really don't care if it's "real" or fake sandalwood, it still smells great.

Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood is perfect for me.
Proraso red too: great winter cream, great performance, but the scent is not my cup of tea

I've been using Proraso red a lot this winter. It's amazing, cheap, and performs like a dream. I haven't used my proraso green since the weather got cold. It's far back in my drawer. lol

Top Bottom