What's new

best sandal wood shave cream?

Big fan of Proraso Red. It smells like actual sandalwood (because it uses actual sandalwood oil), shaves well, and the shea butter feels great. Like others have said it's a great cream in the winter, or summer I'm sure. As others have said if you're allergic to either sandalwood or shea butter, then you might not like it. Otherwise, shave on!

I have also tried TOBS sandalwood, but really didn't like the scent, too artificial and only vaugely like sandalwood. Lathers well though and is an otherwies good cream. The scent just isn't for me.

AOS does smell great. That some of you are saying they don't use real sandalwood, what do they use (I'm asking not challenging because I don't know)?
I will have to try the Proraso Red or QCS to find out what real sandalwood smells like.

the owner gave me some sample packs of Edwin Jagger products, one being the sandalwood shave cream and a/s lotion. Both smell amazing [/QUOTE]

Maybe the sample I got turned. I remember my thought on the EJ Sandalwood was if sandalwood were a gum flavor it would smell like this. I am a big fan of Proraso red.

So i meant to update everyone on the outcome of my shave with the EJ sandalwood shave soap and the recently purchased TOBS mr taylor's aftershave. Turns out that the combination is really nice. I think it was the best shave i have had yet. The shave was really close, splash on a bit of witch hazel, then a bit of the TOBS and wow a great shave. I have another sample of the shave cream so ill see if i get a duplicate result.

defiantly considering continuing that cocktail, but still open to suggestions.

amazingly proraso red has gained a spot in my rotation. great performance and smell. it lingers a bit but paired with a good a/s, very nice.

I really enjoy Proraso Red: very nice and inexpensive. My favorite, though, is GFT.

I too received a sample of the EJ Sandalwood Balm and it was very nice. A little went a long way. I may acquire it one day

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've used AOS sandalwood and that fragrance lasted a good while. I put on bay rum aftershave and I could still smell the sandalwood over the bay rum. Heck, I wouldn't have to put on a scent aftershave balm with this cream. I thought it lathered up good too.

A0S Sandalwood is my favorite and TOBS would be apretty close second. Proraso Red has been a disappointment scentwise. I was expecting more especially as Proraso is such a classic.

I have Proraso red and TOBS Sandalwood. The Proraso is good and probably more of a real Sandalwood smell, but TOBS just has such a manly barbershop quality to it. Given that I have 4 different tubs of TOBS, I'm probably a little biased toward their creams. AOS is just too snobby and overpriced for me.

AOS Sandalwood is by far my favorite scent. T&H Sandalwood outperforms AOS in my opinion. However, it has more of a perfumy smell. The smell is absolutley amazing, but doesen't smell like sandalwood at all to me. TOBS is more of a spicier scent/experience. Proraso Red is a mild, but sturdy natural sandlawood scent.

My vote...Proraso Red!

Last edited:
This thread is exactly what I've been waiting for.... I love Sandalwood scents and I've got Proraso Red, TOBS, and AOS Soap in my rotation. Of the three, there is no question that the AOS smells the best. It may not be a perfect sandalwood (like Proraso) but it just smells delicious... so much so that I purchased the cologne. The TOBS on the other hand, IMO, is a better overall performer than either one. When compared to the Proraso & AOS soap, the TOBS cream is richer and provides more cushion... not to mention, it's easier to lather. I have not yet tried the AOS cream so that may be a better than the TOBS in terms of performance. I'll get a tub soon. All I know now is that the TOBS cream (for me) does a better job of protecting my face from nicks than the Proraso & AOS soap.

I have a feeling that once I try the AOS SW Cream, I will not use anything else after that because it's a clear winner in my book regarding scent and if it provides the same rich lather and protection that the TOBS does, then that's it for me. The Proraso is in my rotation because; well; because it's Proraso and you can't have a rotation without including one of the great names in shaving, right!

Today was an Italian Proraso day.... RED cream, GREEN a/s splash, WHITE asb :001_tongu

Last edited:
I bought the Starter Set of AOS sandalwood just for the hell of it, I used the pre-shave oil, the cream and even the balm.

I'm an unscented guy for the most part and these are my first sandalwood products. So take this for what it is worth.

I like the scent but it was pretty strong. Many hours later I still could smell it on me. The scent grew on me.

The performance of the products was exceptional. But I don't think sandalwood is really the scent for me.

Went to a local barbershop (men's salon) and picked up a tub of AOS sandalwood cream, sandalwood ASB, and the AOS sandalwood cologne. I love AOS's take on the sandalwood scent. I've never used their cream so I'll give it a go and see how it does. Somehow I think it's going to be as good or better than TOBS in terms of performance. To me, I like the scent of AOS a bit better than TOBS so if performance is also good, I'm sticking with AOS all the way. I just wish they made an alcohol-based aftershave splash.

Top Bottom