What's new

Super Iridium, Polsilver SI and Feathers

Three of my favourite blades so far, but with slight differences. Please, this is NOT a review, I just want to share my general impression about those blades.

May go-to blade is the famous Feather
2Q==

Love it and I wish I had tried it before. They are sharp and smooth (unless you apply improper pressure, so to speak....:laugh:) and I get seven smooth shaves out of each blade, which due to my laziness is very convenient for a weekly blade changing on Saturday morning... Nice weekend start, with a fresh blade.

Expensive? It's 0.04 euro cents per shave. Great value for money!:001_tongu

Then we have Super Iridium

proxy.php

Made in St. Petersburg (as many others) they are sharp and smooth also. But lately I can't get "the" seven shaves out of each blade. On shave #5 the blade is noticeably less sharp, on shave #6 is dull. Don't want to push it further:001_huh:. A great blade, anyway.

Then we have Polsilver SI

proxy.php

For me sharp like a Feather but a bit less and so "smoother". I can get "the" seven shaves out of each blade, though being less sharp than a Feather I have to be more careful. A great shave anyway. A perfect blade for those days when my skin is a bit "sensitive".:001_smile

All of them are ordinarily used in my EJ DE89 Barley. A great combo for me.:thumbup1:

So, three great blades, with slight differences for me. What do you think about? How is your experience?

And, of course, YMMV....

For me, Feathers are absolutely NOT worth it. Expensive, first shave is brutal, and only 4 shaves per blade. My favorites were Gillette 7O'clock yellow, and Bleue Extras. 7-8 shaves each. Then I discovered the two SI's. I get close to 3 weeks out of a blade with them. Fantastic.

Great! Another of your fantastic blind tests! Thanks for doing what I'm too lazy to do! (or not experienced enough...).

I'll follow it, that's for sure!

Thanks for the kind words - hope you enjoy it.

Talking of Feathers, I like them, but for me the IS are smoother and cheaper - and I have sometimes found the first shave from a Feather to feel a little rough.

Thanks for the kind words - hope you enjoy it.

Talking of Feathers, I like them, but for me the IS are smoother and cheaper - and I have sometimes found the first shave from a Feather to feel a little rough.

Yes. Different guys, different reactions. YMMV!!!

I think the Polsilver SI's are the best blade I've used so far.

Now I'm just trying to figure out why I don't have 100 of these blades in my stash yet. I might have to hit up Emilio here soon!

3 great blades indeed. I would probably add the Perma Sharp Super to that list. I've really been enjoying the PSI lately, but could easily shave with any of those blades solely without any issues.

I think the Polsilver SI's are the best blade I've used so far.

Now I'm just trying to figure out why I don't have 100 of these blades in my stash yet. I might have to hit up Emilio here soon!

PSI are excellent, but second to Feather in my case. PSI are smoother than Feather (and cheaper, indeed!), but a bit less sharp and I notice by shave #6 or 7.

Emilio supplied my PSI as well!

3 great blades indeed. I would probably add the Perma Sharp Super to that list. I've really been enjoying the PSI lately, but could easily shave with any of those blades solely without any issues.

Should try Perma Sharp then...

Some guys would add Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow, but they don't work with me. Not bad at all, but didn't like them.

Just received a pack of 100 SI's purchased off the BST from Nav (thanks Nav, threw in a Lea tallow stick).

Compared to Feathers I have found the Super Iridiums to be:

* not as sharp
* much, much smoother. In fact, buffing is risk-free with these babies

My tough beard does cause a little tugging on the SIs but it's worth it for the sheer comfort of the shave. I'm talking low/nil irritation where the Feathers DEMANDED full and total concentration (I can hear Bruce Lee's voice already...).

The SIs are great.

Just received a pack of 100 SI's purchased off the BST from Nav (thanks Nav, threw in a Lea tallow stick).

Compared to Feathers I have found the Super Iridiums to be:

* not as sharp
* much, much smoother. In fact, buffing is risk-free with these babies

My tough beard does cause a little tugging on the SIs but it's worth it for the sheer comfort of the shave. I'm talking low/nil irritation where the Feathers DEMANDED full and total concentration (I can hear Bruce Lee's voice already...).

The SIs are great.

They are. I find Polsilver SI even smoother than SI related to Feathers. But less sharp... and that's the only reason I'm not going to throw out my "over 600" stash of Feathers and exchange them for PSI!!!!!:001_tongu

It never stops surprising me how each face reacts to the same blade.

si's are my top choice. ordered 500 just the other day from emilio and am hoping to end my stock at maybe 2000 blades so i dont have to worry about not having them for years. ive been testing everything i can get my hands on though just to be sure :001_tongu

Top Bottom