What's new

Brush Recomendation?

Hello B&B,

I've been wetshaving for a few months and my VDH badger is shedding at least 3-5 hairs a shave. I decided that I'd like to buy a new brush before I'm whipping up lather with just a handle. I have about $50-60 to spend. I'd like a sufficient amount of backbone for tripple milled soaps, but not horribly scritchy (I dont mind a little bit. We'll just say my last brush was "exfoliating"). I definitely prefer the look of a bulb shaped knot instead of a fan. If I had unlimited funds I think I'd be picking up a Thater 4125/1 but alas, I don't :a52:

I've also been thinking about making my own brush. I have access to a CNC lathe so I've been playing around with a few handle designs for cherrywood blanks. If I go this route, what would be a good knot? From my research on knots I would've been leaning towards the TGN 24mm finest XH bulb, set to a loft of 48-50mm. This is also open to suggestion.

Recommendations for either options are greatly appreciated! Thanks gents!

Welcome to B&B!

Are you face-lathering or bowl-lathering?

For your budget could get a very nice boar like the Semogue SOC, or a less nice badger. If you face-lather, maybe the Simpson Berkeley in Best? I would spring another $5 for the Colonel, myself: good for face or bowl. Knot shape might be unpredictable with Simpsons, though, and I see the SOC as more of a fan shape.

If you turn your own handle you will have much more control. Be sure to look into stabilization options for the wood, though: it will get wet.

On the TGN, I think the finest will be a good choice. I have a TGN finest XH fan 22-mm at about 46-mm in a Rooney 3/1 handle, and it is great: plenty of backbone and very soft, curled tips. The curled tips are a bit odd because they can clump together like hair spikes as they dry, but when wet they feel softer than anything else I have used. One thing to watch out for with any hair is that it can change from batch to batch. My knot is only a few months old, but TGN might well be selling different hair now.

Honestly I've just been lathering straight off the puck in the apothecary mug I got with the VDH Luxury set. I would absolutely be open to spending a little extra cash for a quality brush, especially if I can sell my extra set of irons before golf season ;) Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

....I have about $50-60 to spend. I'd like a sufficient amount of backbone for tripple milled soaps, but not horribly scritchy (I dont mind a little bit. We'll just say my last brush was "exfoliating"). I definitely prefer the look of a bulb shaped knot instead of a fan. If I had unlimited funds I think I'd be picking up a Thater 4125/1 but alas, I don't :a52:

I'll take a Rooney Silvertip or Simpson Best any day over my 2 Thaters, especially with triple-milled soaps and my well water, but that's just my preference. In your price range, I'll second the Berkeley & Colonel recommendation. I've had and liked both. My Berkeley had more backbone and a bit more scritch than the Colonel. I gave the Colonel to my son-in-law once I started face lathering and I sold the Berkeley to help fund a Thater (a mistake on my part).

Almost forgot. I haven't tried them, but look up the reviews for those 2-band brushes at Vintage Blades. I've read a lot of good comments and the price is under your limit.

The Simpson Colonel would be a good choice. With regards to your current brush shedding, try cleaning it and it may stop.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't get to turn my handle while I was on break, but I might be able to get it done sometime soon if I can find my windows laptop to use my autocad and inventor to turn my sketches into programs for the CNC. I might just go with one of the cheaper options like a WD silvertip or one of the Vintage Blades brushes. I really like the Simpson's Colonel you've recommended but I just hit a financial snag at school and might have to start a brush fund for the summer ;)

Have you considered re-knotting your VDH Badger? Mine has a beautiful handle, pretty much the only reason I'm keeping it.

Top Bottom