What's new

Where to start?

So have been shaving with a Merkur Safety Razor for nine months now and love it. But I have always had it in the back of my mind that I would go to a straight razor and I think I want to take the plunge.

Here's what I have now:
Merkur Short Handle Safety Razor
Badger Brush
Nancy Boy cream and balm
Geo trumped skin food

So I know I need a straight razor but other than that I'm lost, I've done a lot of lurking around here but can't figure it out. Do I need a strop right away? What razor do I get? So on and so forth.

oh and I know looks of the blade aren't everything but I really love the way the Baxter/Base camp one looks so a wood handle is a definite plus.
http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/baxter-basecamp-straight-razor

Welcome to B&B! You can visit our BST (buy/sell/trade) for a shave ready razor. Yes you will need a leather strop. I don't recommend buying a new razor as a first straight.

Right on ill be looking on here then. Any thicknesses or grinds I want to avoid?

Anything 5/8 and bigger is fine. The grind doesn't matter. Almost all vintage razors from Solingen, Sheffield, Spain or Sweden are well made. There is no such thing as a "starter straight razor". They are for everyone.

I would avoid buying razors on eBay until you have your honing down.

The hobbyist clssifieds are a good place ,The regular BST is a good place and I looked at the razor you like and you really can't go wrong with Hart Steel who is the actual blade maker. Its a fine razor and will serve you a lifetime.

Top Bottom