What's new

Beware the Parker SR1

Hey I'm not trying to be argumentative but...... I completely disagree with your assessment of the SR1. I have one as well and i'll be the first to admit no it's not a Dovo straight or a high end straight razor but it is what it is supposed to be a stainless steel shavette. That said no it does not have the weight of a straight or for that matter the balance of the scales but it opens and closes just fine... the blade could not be easier to change hell all you do is lift the retainer separate the holder and put the blade on the lining pins and close in reverse order.... wwhat's hard about that ? when I first got mine yes I had a hard time learning to use it but that was my fault not the razors. As with straight shaving, DE, or shavette shaving there is a learning curve. I can tell you with 100% certainty you can get an amazing shave with the SR1 and if you get one going into it knowing you are getting a entry level razor than you won't be disappointed or have expectations that just won't be there. FWIW maybe you got a lemon and your spot on but I believe most of us that have the SR1 have had a much different expierence.

No, just wondering if yours was defective in some way. Regardless, since you are unhappy with it, maybe a Feather Artist Club razor might tickle your fancy?

that does look quite ticklish lol, is that out of the box, or did you redo that one too? How much did you pay for it?

Hey I'm not trying to be argumentative but...... I completely disagree with your assessment of the SR1. I have one as well and i'll be the first to admit no it's not a Dovo straight or a high end straight razor but it is what it is supposed to be a stainless steel shavette. That said no it does not have the weight of a straight or for that matter the balance of the scales but it opens and closes just fine... the blade could not be easier to change hell all you do is lift the retainer separate the holder and put the blade on the lining pins and close in reverse order.... wwhat's hard about that ? when I first got mine yes I had a hard time learning to use it but that was my fault not the razors. As with straight shaving, DE, or shavette shaving there is a learning curve. I can tell you with 100% certainty you can get an amazing shave with the SR1 and if you get one going into it knowing you are getting a entry level razor than you won't be disappointed or have expectations that just won't be there. FWIW maybe you got a lemon and your spot on but I believe most of us that have the SR1 have had a much different expierence.

Perhaps I just got a terrible one for some reason. As I mentioned before, I've got another shavette which is plastic and was a quarter of the price and performs much better, so I'm sure if this was my first shavette and I had no expectations I might be less disappointed, but to find that it is much worse than a cheaper blade is not an excellent discovery.

proxy.php

*edit*
And don't get me wrong; it shaves fine. It was designed to hold a blade and hold a blade it does; the Astra SP does the rest. Aside from it being a little difficult to open, the blade part is fine, I think overall it is just the handle, or scales, which severely dissatisfy me. The hollow design that catches the blade end every time I try to rotate it, it feels light and flimsy, the edges are rough, the pin on which it pivots is misshapen and ugly, and the engraving/print on it looks like it was done by a four year old forced labourer at a dollar store.

Last edited:
Most Indian barbers use these shavettes,Parker should do quality control in their factory.
Mine opens perfectly,country of origin has nothing to do with the quality of this razor.

I used mine for a while, had no issues with it, build quality was more than good enough to deliver good shaves, blade was securely held. Any cuts were down to inexperience and user error. Maybe you got a faulty one?

Top Bottom