What's new

Blind Test #12 - Iridium Super vs Polsiver Super Iridium

I should be a politician, then I'd have another face to shave (geddit? :wink2:)

But seriously, in the fullness of time I hope to test all the best blades against each other (and even retest the same blades in different razors). But there's one overriding thing that I'm learning from all of this...

I really had expected to be able to clearly say X is better then Y at the end of each test (at least for me), and end up with a knockout-style winner. But the more I test, the more I realise that just isn't possible. When I'm blind-testing, the differences that I think are obvious when I know which blade I'm using often turn out not to be there, and there are qualitative differences which cannot be quantified as "better". Blind-testing really is helping me to overcome my pre-conceptions.

And at the end of the day, that may be the most important thing we all learn from this. I already know that there are several blades, that I can count on one hand, that are all exceptional in terms of smoothness, sharpness, and durability, but that I can't actually pick a clear favorite among. I was hoping you would be able to help me achieve some clarity in this matter, and it appears that you may, but in a different way than I expected. Instead of picking the greatest of the greatest by the most objective available means, we might be learning that there are more than one greatest blade available which, when you think about it, isn't a bad deal.
Its also been interesting to learn, objectively, that the sharpest blade doesn't always win the comparison, because I love my Personna Reds and Timors just as much as I do some other, sharper blades, because sometimes I prefer a less-sharp and more forgiving edge. I should also mention the other elements of the shave test besides the blade that I enjoy reading as much as the blade test itself. The cream/soap selection, and the after shave selection is as much a part of the shave as anything else, and the descriptions of those add a lot of color. All good stuff. One of the first threads I look for at B&B.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I still have about 100 Med Prep/Labs left. Since test #7 showed the Med Prep to be the equal of the IS/PSI I don't feel the need to rush out for some new blades.

But I am curious . . .

I certainly cannot attest to one vs the other, but I like the Polsilver so much that I just placed my first 100ct order at Bullgoose (Phil is awesome!!!) for them. Awesome blades, don't have a razor that prefers another blade over these.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
And at the end of the day, that may be the most important thing we all learn from this. I already know that there are several blades, that I can count on one hand, that are all exceptional in terms of smoothness, sharpness, and durability, but that I can't actually pick a clear favorite among. I was hoping you would be able to help me achieve some clarity in this matter, ...

I think that is because there are some blades that are virtual equals in the sharpness/smoothness/quality department. As human beings, the way we think about things, we want to be able to rank all blades in clear steps with differences between each. But it does not work that way. There are clumps of blades which are relatively equal to each other and more or less impossible to rank within that clump. So don't let it bother you.

I did a huge thread on comparing the Gillette SP blue/blacks and sent blades to about 10 testers. One guy will prefer one, another guy the other, but most, who were honest, couldn't tell the difference between them. I have discovered I love the Gillette Blacks. But I now have discovered there is precious little difference between them and the Polsilver SI (I get more frequent weepers with the Polsilvers, actually), and I could be happy shaving the rest of my life with either the Gillette black/blue or Polsilver, or (I think, still deciding at the moment) the Astra SP.

Why try to determine what is the 'best' blade? It probably doesn't exist anyway. I would not shave with Derby's if you gave them to me. But any of these I'd be indifferent between. I think there are a lot of blades like that-clumps of equal quality.

I think that is because there are some blades that are virtual equals in the sharpness/smoothness/quality department. As human beings, the way we think about things, we want to be able to rank all blades in clear steps with differences between each. But it does not work that way. There are clumps of blades which are relatively equal to each other and more or less impossible to rank within that clump. So don't let it bother you.

I did a huge thread on comparing the Gillette SP blue/blacks and sent blades to about 10 testers. One guy will prefer one, another guy the other, but most, who were honest, couldn't tell the difference between them. I have discovered I love the Gillette Blacks. But I now have discovered there is precious little difference between them and the Polsilver SI (I get more frequent weepers with the Polsilvers, actually), and I could be happy shaving the rest of my life with either the Gillette black/blue or Polsilver, or (I think, still deciding at the moment) the Astra SP.

Why try to determine what is the 'best' blade? It probably doesn't exist anyway. I would not shave with Derby's if you gave them to me. But any of these I'd be indifferent between. I think there are a lot of blades like that-clumps of equal quality.

Interesting that you note more weepers with Polsilvers than Blacks because I have found the same thing. I get fewer weepers with Med Preps, Blacks, and Personna Reds than most other blades. I still think this may not be a subjective feeling only. The photos we're seeing of blade edges definitely shows an advantage to the Blacks edge, though we haven't seen photo's of Polsilver's edge yet. For sharpness and smoothness though, I agree, can't tell one from the other, or Med Preps. All great blades.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks crf om! Always nice to know you are not alone. I've used 5 pols now and i will stick to the blacks.

Top Bottom