What's new

Blind Test #12 - Iridium Super vs Polsiver Super Iridium

Thanks to Emilio for kindly supplying some Polsilvers, I'm all set to test the famous original Iridium Super against the Polsilver Super Iridium.

For a lot of people, and I'm one of them, the original IS is just about the best DE blade there is - for me it offers a close-to-perfect combination of sharpness and smoothness. But is the Polsilver version the same? A lot of people seem to think it is.

The first thing I noticed when I unwrapped the blades is that they are marked identically - I've marked one with a Sharpie so I can tell them apart when the test is over.

For a change this time, I'll be using my two Merkur Bakelite razors, which I think are excellent - there's something about the head geometry that makes them work great. And I was fortunate to find one in an unusual colour scheme, with the red and black swapped (but otherwise identical in every way). So, a friend loaded these two razors with the blades for me, and I have no idea which blade is in which...

$D1138_002.jpg

Full details of the thinking behind these tests can be found in the thread here.

The first shave will be tomorrow.

Last edited:
just ordered some polsilver si's from emilio but def want to see how this turns out i love si's and have the newer ones coming i hope they are as good as the older ones.

Shave #1

Iridium Super vs Polsilver Super Iridium, in two Merkur Bakelite razors - one red, one black

Test set up as described in the thread here.

Black = Left side of face
Red = Right side of face

Brush = Semogue SOC 2012 SE, mixed-hair
Soap = DR Harris Arlington
AS = Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: All three passes were excellent - very sharp and very smooth, with identical-feeling performance from each blade.

Closeness: Pretty much BBS on both sides.

Comfort: Very comfortable, with no irritation.

AS: Mild sting from The Veg, very relaxing.

Pretty short report, but there's little to say at this early stage.

I like both blades. I have my thoughts on which is better, but I will wait to see what Alan comes up with.

~Frank

Alan,
Thank You for your unbiased blade tests. I enjoyed all of them.

I will be following this one closely as the original Super Iridiums are my favorite blade.

Jeff

Shave #2

Iridium Super vs Polsilver Super Iridium, in two Merkur Bakelite razors - one red, one black

Black = Right side of face
Red = Left side of face

Brush = Semogue Italian Barber LE (this one)
Soap = Cella
AS = Blue Stratos

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Really just the same as shave #1. Both blades very sharp and cutting really well, and both feeling very smooth.

Closeness: Again, nice BBS on both sides.

Comfort: Another comfortable shave, with no irritation.

AS: Nice feel from the AS splash, with skin smooth and tight.

It's boring, this bit, isn't it? :001_smile

Just out of curiosity, how do you like those razors. You've used quite a few in the course of these blade tests so I'm wondering how these bakelites compare to the more traditional razors.

Just out of curiosity, how do you like those razors. You've used quite a few in the course of these blade tests so I'm wondering how these bakelites compare to the more traditional razors.

I like the Merkur Bakelite a lot. I think it's the head geometry - it's more curved than some. I generally tend to prefer a shallower blade angle, and I think the head makes that more intuitive for me. Some people might find the extreme light weight a problem, and I was wary of that at first. But it hasn't been a problem at all, and the Bakelite works just as well as heavier razors for me - perhaps because I only use very sharp blades in them and they don't need the weight? Maybe one day I'll try a heavy metal handle with a Bakelite head!

Thanks. I was interested in them exactly because of the big curve they put into the blade. Lightweight with a really sharp blade seems like a nice combo to me.

Maybe there will be some difference in longevity?

It would be interesting to see someone compare these to some of the old English made Wilkinson Sword blades. I almost couldn't tell the difference when I switched between the two a couple of months ago. The swords were a bit smoother and more efficient, but they felt remarkably similar.

Shave #3

Iridium Super vs Polsilver Super Iridium, in two Merkur Bakelite razors - one red, one black.

Black = Left side of face
Red = Right side of face

Brush = Vie-Long 65/35 horsehair
Soap = Shulton Old Spice Cream (India)
AS = P&G Old Spice

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: And the same again - nothing to choose between two very sharp and smooth blades.

Pass 3, ATG: Two small weepers from Red, one on the upper lip and one at the end of my mouth, which needed a bit of styptic. But I didn't notice them until afterwards, and I'd hesitate to blame them on the blade.

Closeness: Another good BBS all over. It struck me at the start of the shave just how close these blades are getting - after 48 hours, I had less than my usual amount of stubble.

Comfort: Very comfortable too.

AS: Bit of sting from the OS - left my skin feeling nicely tight and smooth.

Shave #4

Iridium Super vs Polsilver Super Iridium, in two Merkur Bakelite razors - one red, one black.

Black = Right side of face
Red = Left side of face

Brush = Semogue SOC 2-band
Soap = Col Conk Amber
AS = DR Harris Marlborough

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Back to being really predictable, and very sharp and smooth on both sides. It's still impossible to tell any difference between the two blades.

Closeness: Same again, and another BBS.

Comfort: Yep, lovely. If anything, the blades felt a little smoother today and this was possibly my most comfortable shave so far.

AS: I love the feel of DR Harris aftershaves - my skin was left tight, smooth and soothed again.

That's the equivalent of 2 full-face shaves on each blade, and I can usually easily get between 4 and 6 shaves from an IS - so I think it's going to be another few shaves yet before there'll be any noticeable change.

As an aside, I received two razors in the post today - a nice G-series Schick injector with a dark blue handle, and a new "2013 style" Mühle R41 with a rosegold handle. I really really wanted to try the R41 today - but no, my blade test audience must come first! I hope you appreciate my self-sacrifice :001_rolle

I received two razors in the post today - a nice G-series Schick injector with a dark blue handle, and a new "2013 style" Mühle R41 with a rosegold handle. I really really wanted to try the R41 today - but no, my blade test audience must come first! I hope you appreciate my self-sacrifice :001_rolle

Yes, of course.:001_tongu

As an aside, I received two razors in the post today - a nice G-series Schick injector with a dark blue handle, and a new "2013 style" Mühle R41 with a rosegold handle. I really really wanted to try the R41 today - but no, my blade test audience must come first! I hope you appreciate my self-sacrifice :001_rolle

It sounds like you have a Schick "66" model injector. I believe these were only made in 1949. Very nice!
What color is the head? Gold or silver?

Top Bottom