What's new

Old Type, Smooth Ball End

Picked up this Canadian Old Type with the smooth ball end, solid handle
No case, just the razor and it has a bit of wear (plating on the ball, slightly bent outer teeth)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Came with a fairly thick shim installed

proxy.php

proxy.php

Serial number 248696
proxy.php

proxy.php

Shim installed, I am going to try shaving with it like this
proxy.php

Here it is compared to a normal ball end Old Type, the solid handle is quite a bit thinner than the hollow type
proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for looking!!
Kevin

proxy.php

What an interesting shim - looks like an actual product shim vs something home made. Never seen one like that. Never seen one beyond a trimmed old blade actually.

I think the shim must be a French thing...the only other manufactured shim I have seen also came in a Canadian smooth ball old type
Both of these razors came out of France

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Kevin, i have no idea how you do it, but you folks must have some great antique stores in Alberta! :lol:
Great looking stuff, my friend.

Kevin, i have no idea how you do it, but you folks must have some great antique stores in Alberta! :lol:
Great looking stuff, my friend.

I do find alot of razors in the wild here in Alberta...but this one was an eBay France find :001_smile

Heres a couple of pics with a blade and shim installed...increases the gap quite a bit

proxy.php

proxy.php

Shaved with it this morning..makes for a fairly aggressive razor with a new Super Iridium blade.
Fantastic shave though, very smooth!! I will try that shim in a few different razors

proxy.php

Beautiful!!! Odd how the huge the hole is in the bottom plate. Looks as if the handle would go straight through. Can you post a picture with the handle removed?

That shim is a neat piece of history. Great score. Enjoy !

I saw a piece on ebay, it wasn't made by Gillette, but was for a Gillette. It was a roller/cover thing, made to convert an OC to a safety bar razor. Didn't see it in time to bid on it. It would have been neat, like you say, a piece of history. Only one I've ever seen. If someone here picked it up, I'd like to see some pictures of it.

Beautiful!!! Odd how the huge the hole is in the bottom plate. Looks as if the handle would go straight through. Can you post a picture with the handle removed?

Here ya go
You can see how it is machined to fit the end of the handle

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

These are beautiful metal sculpture. I'd appreciate comments on how these Old Types shave without the shim? How aggressive or mild are they, compared with something familiar like a Tech or an HD? What's the balance and weight like? Old types like me would like to know.

Top Bottom