What's new

Gym in the morning

I'm trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to try to shave at the gym. I go to the gym in the morning, and usually shave after a shower, but since I've begun wetshaving with a DE, I'm not too keen on taking all of that stuff to the gym with me, is that what you folks do? Do you shave in the evening? Do you take your stuff to the gym?

I have stopped shaving in the morning unless I absolutely have to. Your face just isnt ready for it yet.

I have moved all shaving endeavors to the evening. Face is ready, mind is ready, and you have more time to relax, enjoy and do a better job. I like my current routine: Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights.

hench

FWIW, I've always thought it odd to shave at the gym. I see guys (usually older) doing that, often along with what seems to be their complete morning routine, and I think "Can't you do that at home?" IMHO, gym lockers are for quick changes and quick showers, not for one's entire grooming routine.

If I'm planning on going to the gym in the morning I shave the night before. It's just too much stuff to have to deal with, plus I don't normally have the time..

-Mason

I shave in the morning and go to the gym in the evening. No worries about shaving since I've already done it and lifting weights after a stressful day is far more therapeutic anyhow.

I shave in the evening anyway; it's more relaxing not having to worry about work or anything else that can't be put on hold. Plus I agree with RichGem that it's a little unusual to see guys shaving at the gym.

If you only have time to shave at the gym you should get up a few minutes earlier. :tongue:

I used to shave in the morning but found it was to hectic, started shaving in the evening, took a few shaves to get used to the idea but now i enjoy my evening shave, it's calm peaceful and no one bugs you.

There are times when I have had to shave at the gym. I recommend a
cream which can be used brushless. I used to use GR cream or Floris Santal.
Recently, I have switched to the Molton Brown Shave wax for my quick shaves. (I have fell in love with this product! I am getting the best shaves ever. I am
this close to leaving the brush world forever, as I am getting a quality near
BBS, nick/irritation free shave almost every day with this stuff)

I never do a full shave at the gym, but if I need to I will do two WTG passes. It makes me presentable with no irritation. (NO where near BBS though).

Also, shaving at the gym has one great side effect. It shows other guys
the power of wet-shaving with a DE. YOu wont believe the number of guys that come up and ask what my razor is. When they see the quality of shave and that a DE is not scary, they always ask for more info. I was thinking of printing off little B&B cards to handout. ;-)

Let us know what works best for you!

I shave at the gym 5 days a week. The best part of it is shaving after a pre soak in the steam room with Proraso preshave. Can't duplicate this at home.

The only thing that I had to do was to buy a decent razor case from EM's place.

The only thing I don't bring is the shave bowl- lathering on the face instead.
I've use sample bottles/cases for some of the bigger items.
Works fine.

I've even started using a straight on Fridays (more time).

I shave in the morning and go to the gym in the evening. No worries about shaving since I've already done it and lifting weights after a stressful day is far more therapeutic anyhow.

+1. Nothing beats a good workout in the evening, and a good shave in the morn!

I"ve tried shaving at the gym. I'd bring a soap in a travel container, just lather on my face, and then shave. Sometimes I used an M3 which is quicker and travels well, and other times a DE in a leather merkur case.

Lately I've just gotten up a little earlier, shaved, and then gone right to the gym. I find that's easier.

The upside of working out first and then shaving at the gym is the sweating is great prep on it's own, and as mentioned above if you stop in the steam room first that's even better.

The downside is people bumping into you while you are shaving, an old guy gargling in the sink next to mine and spitting his mouthwash from altitude and splashing me while I'm shaving - kind of ruins the zen of the shaving experience. And I don't find the "what they hell are you doing with that brush" looks zen either, though most people mind their own business. But at the end I'd rather just use my gear at home, take my time, and not have people bumping into me and dodging the various fluids spilling out of the sinks next to mine. And you don't lose any time shaving and then dashing to the gym vs. dashing to the gym and then shaving.

Thanks guys. I was just thinking about it, one of my goals this year is to get to the gym more often, and I thought about it after showering the other day. Thanks for sharing, I think I'll continue shaving at home, I'm going to try it in the evening.

Top Bottom