What's new

A more aggressive safety bar razor - any recommendations?

One of my first moves after years with my 34C was a Red Tip. Never looked back. My Merkur has been retired to my travelling kit now. I would not be too devastated if it would get lost. (It´s a fine razor for sure- but its no longer one of my favs)

I think a modern safety bar razor is a good choice. A few come to mind. The New York Shaving Company Mariner (either short- or long-handled) is more aggressive than the 34c. Also, either the Parker 91r or 99r is a step above. These are at the less expensive end (around $30) and are functional and decent razors.

In the mid-price range is the Mühle R41. It is arguably the most aggressive DE on the market and needs to be respected, It has recently been re-tooled to make it smoother and easier to use. It sells for about $60, but can be found for less if you look around.

At the premium end, I'd recommend the ATT Atlas or Titan, which are heirloom-quality and available in three levels of aggressiveness (H, R, and M base plates). PM me if you might be interested. Also available is the Joris and Fatip, which share a similar head but have different finishes and handles. The prices range from about $50 to $160 depending on the the configuration you choose.

I disagree about the R89. It is not a step up in aggressiveness. If anything, it is less aggressive, IMO.

I also found that Parker razors are a step up in aggressiveness. I just got a Parker 94R and it is more aggressive than a Merkur 34c and I love it. It is made very well too.

Top Bottom