What's new

Ultra Running

Hey guys (and gals too), anyone here at B&B an ultra distance runner? I am currently training for The Chuckanut 50K here in Bellingham, WA. Lots of wind and snow today! :biggrin:

I would be, but I simply cannot find anyone to chase me for that long.

And for the record: You super distance guys are insane!

I would be, but I simply cannot find anyone to chase me for that long.

And for the record: You super distance guys are insane!

I know, I know, thank you :biggrin: That's a real complement! :out: My wife can't find a "good" reason for my running for 4 hours or so...

Before kids, I did a few triathlons and so heard some crazy running stories. The best, or weirdest, are those 100 mile mountain runs. I guess each runner has to have 4 "spotters" that run beside him/her for 25 miles each. The reason is that running 100 miles is so hard on your body, you can start to hallucinate. I was at a running store and was talking with a spotter and he said once he had to tackle a guy from running off a cliff, which he thought was a lake.

I work with a couple of guys that are nationally ranked ultra-runners. It's sickening to think of someone whose resting heart rate is such that the heart beats every other second. :eek:

Before kids, I did a few triathlons and so heard some crazy running stories. The best, or weirdest, are those 100 mile mountain runs. I guess each runner has to have 4 "spotters" that run beside him/her for 25 miles each. The reason is that running 100 miles is so hard on your body, you can start to hallucinate. I was at a running store and was talking with a spotter and he said once he had to tackle a guy from running off a cliff, which he thought was a lake.

In Venezuela, I remember a few races through the mountains where you got a prize just for finishing. Well, at least you should've gotten something. Venzuela is right on the equator. You couple the high temperatures with high elevation (thin air) and you've got brutal running conditions. I've traveled (read: hiking, backpacking, horse riding, biking, boating, kayaking, and flying over) throughout South America. People in my group have fainted with exhaustion just from walking; a few almost died. The people running 10K+ miles in those areas are just eccentric. Hmph! :rolleyes:

I work with a couple of guys that are nationally ranked ultra-runners. It's sickening to think of someone whose resting heart rate is such that the heart beats every other second. :eek:

Pavo Nurmi could get up to around 60 bpm after a quick mile.

Good luck!

I hit my limit with the marathon. I'm racing a half this weekend, and I don't think I'll care to tackle anything longer anytime soon.

Don't think there is too much difference between a Marathon (42K) and the 50K. Just make sure you pace yourself and take in plenty of fluids. I use to put some type of slick gel between the toes and on the thighs to prevent blisters. Some people I know will on the ulta long runs have someone meet them at the half way point and change socks and shoes. The theory being that different makes of shoes will have slightly different pressure points on the foot. The advice I was given on my first marathon (I have done 20) is start off slowly then tapper off. I have known people to take in small amounts of caffine along the way. This is something you must experiment with since it can cause stomach problems.
All the best

D'Brie - I'm in the process for training for a 50K this spring then a 50 miler this fall. My wife is in the same boat, she is like - why on earth do you want to go and run for 6 to 8 hours.

A good product to use during the run is HEED (High Energy Electrolyte Drink). I buy mine at my local bike shop.

I use it when I run and when I mountain bike and it is great. Very low in refined sugar so its easy on the stomach during those long runs.

Keep us posted on the progress.:thumbup1:

Hehe, rowing and cycling get you that low too, the record is held by a cyclist at 27bpm I think. As a rower, my own beat is high 30's, my cycling brother has been down to about 36 at season peak.

I gotta say, ultra running is nuts. People think rowers are nuts, but sheesh, we ain't nothing compared to people who can run for 4+ hours straight! It's not even like cycling where it is pretty easy to eat and drink while racing.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I never run less than 100K, while smoking a cigar.:tongue_sm

Until fairly recently in our history, the only reason man ran was to escape wild animals. Having said that, I'm good for four miles a day, and I miss maybe one or two days a month. tops.

Don't think there is too much difference between a Marathon (42K) and the 50K. Just make sure you pace yourself and take in plenty of fluids. I use to put some type of slick gel between the toes and on the thighs to prevent blisters. Some people I know will on the ulta long runs have someone meet them at the half way point and change socks and shoes. The theory being that different makes of shoes will have slightly different pressure points on the foot. The advice I was given on my first marathon (I have done 20) is start off slowly then tapper off. I have known people to take in small amounts of caffine along the way. This is something you must experiment with since it can cause stomach problems.
All the best

The difference in this race is 10,000 feet of elevation gain and loss on muddy trails. :w00t:

D'Brie - I'm in the process for training for a 50K this spring then a 50 miler this fall. My wife is in the same boat, she is like - why on earth do you want to go and run for 6 to 8 hours.

A good product to use during the run is HEED (High Energy Electrolyte Drink). I buy mine at my local bike shop.

I use it when I run and when I mountain bike and it is great. Very low in refined sugar so its easy on the stomach during those long runs.

Keep us posted on the progress.:thumbup1:

+1 HEED is my go to replacement drink. I use a 70 oz. hydro pack with HEED in it. It's really good stuff. Thanks for all the well wishes guys! :smile:

Not much for running long distances....but I do like to ride 100+ miles on a bike. At Mohican State Park in Northern Ohio, they hold the ultra long distance 100 mile marathons for both mountain bike and running...and yes, ..you get a prize just for finishing....I think it is a beer glass.:rolleyes:

I've done the 55 mile mountain bike Muskingum Mayhem held in Zanesville, OH. Pure hell, absolutely pure hell and torture...........can't wait until this May to do it again:biggrin:

Oh, and if you want a good drink supplement...I use Ultima Replenisher....sweetened with stevia, very good, and easy on the stomach. Wild raspberry is the best flavor.

Top Bottom