What's new

Hello and thank you!

Hi guys (and girls if any),

Just wanted to introduce myself to these forums, truly a fantastic read for any wet shaver new or old. I have just started wet shaving with an Edwin Jagger DE89BL and some Derby blades and have had some fantastic results already and I'm only on my 5th shave. I started shaving over 10 years ago using cartridge razors and finally got sick and tired of the rip off cartridges.
I must admit, the hardest part of it is getting the angle and pressure right, it's like trying to give up smoking, once you get into the habit it's difficult to let go, at least the cuts and nicks on my face are a good way of learning quickly how to not shave and today only had one tiny nick on my upper lip at the corner of my nose!

Need to invest more in some nice shaving creams though, I currently use Palmolive Shave Cream 'Classic', which is quite soothing and provides a really good lather, just doesn't smell all that special especially when you're spending so much time in the morning pampering yourself for a great shave. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, am thinking of getting some Bodyshop Maca Root shave cream, any users of it here?

It's amazing how few shops in the UK actually sell good quality shaving products, everything I have got so far has been ordered online...still waiting for some feather blades to add to my collection from amazon. I might do some research on products available on the high street in the UK and post a list of shops and products they do for easy reference.

Anyway, enough rambling and thanks so far for the great advice I've seen on these forums!

Joe.

Welcome to B&B, Joe, from another UK member! Great choice of razor and those Feathers will be a perfect match. The EJ is a mild razor and really does benefit from the sharper blades. Unless you can get to London, online purchases are the realistic way to buy. Some great English creams out there from Trumper and T&H, to name just two. Also, definitely try the tallow Palmolive shaving soap stick. It's a superb performer and dirt cheap from the likes of Superdrug, Tescos, etc, at around 70-80p. Two online vendors in the UK are Connaught Shaving and The gentleman's Shop. Also Shaving.ie in Ireland is worth visiting. Enjoy your new hobby, Joe!:thumbup:

Welcome aboard.
Most people on here are forced into ordering supplies online, so it's only natural to research and ask questions online. This is becoming (or has) the de-facto place to come for that kind of experience.

Welcome to B&B, fellow shaver! I also use the EJ DE89 and this thing is fantastic! I just recently switched to Astra blades as I had used all the Derby blades that came with the razor, and for me the Astra blades have been really great.

Hi Joe, welcome to B&B! Nice first post!!

Good choice on that Edwin Jagger razor--it's very popular, and for good reason! No worries about those nicks and cuts--once your technique settles down yo're in for a lifetime of close and comfortable shaves!

If you get a minute, head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us all a bit more about yourself. If you run into problems or have questions, feel free to post them up. Our members are welcoming and very well-mannered (unlike most of the internet), and we're always happy to lend a hand to a new wet-shaver.

Enjoy your time here, and once again, WELCOME!

Howdy Joe!

I've heard that the Body Shop stores will give you a big sample if you ask. I personally don't like the scent of the Maca Root but you might like it.

Top Bottom