What's new

EJ Small Best

Anybody have one of these? I have a small super that I really like and am thinking about picking a small best up. They are $28. I know that the C&E Best is a medium. I'm wondering how the small stacks up.

Norm,
I have one of each (an EJ Super, and an EJ Best) and don't recommend it if you already have the super. The best sheds a bristle or two every time I've used it. A shame really, it's perfect size and cost for a travel brush but the quality is lacking.
Greg

Norm,
How do you like the medium best? Other than the aforementioned shedding problems, the brush size is pretty good. I would imagine it to be similar in size to the small super.
Greg

I have the C&E Best. It doesn't have a shedding problem. For the money it may well be the best value in the badger brush world.

Do you think the best will be much different than the super that you have now. I would like to hear what you think of the differences between the two.

I believe the difference to be minimal...BUT I don't have them both.

Tom

I only see a small best on the C&E website, is that the one that everyone is talking about? I ordered a small bbb and it will here tomorrow. They don't have a medium bbb listed.

The EJ brush I'm referring to is via The English Shaving Co. The link is Here. The $35 C&E Best brush is a medium equivalent on the English Shaving Co. site. I have 5 EJ-made brushes and I have only lost a dozen or so hairs total, so I'm not worried about that. The medium Best (the C&E equivalent) is a good all around brush that is in my regular brush rotation. The small super is much softer on the face than the best. The super is a little more floppy than the best, but not too floppy. The loft on the small is shorter than the best and I think that keeps it from being too floppy. I also find the tips of the EJ medium best to be less prickley than the C&E brush. Within a week of getting the small super, it became my favorite brush and am curious if a small best would have the same effect on me.

My two pence. My two brushes are the EJ Medium Super and the C&E Travel Pure. The Travel brush is 3.5 inches in height with a 1.5 inch high handle. The C&E Pure is probably a step below the Best as they sell the Best also. The C&E Pure is prickly. It has softened without me doing any kind of soaks. It lost a few hairs at first but hasn't since. I use it every other day and lather on the face. The medium super is much softer but with its higher loft sometimes feel floppy and I find myself preferring the small prickly one. I also am considering the small EJ Best. One other note, the Pure did come with wild badger smell while the Super did not. I like to think I tamed the beast.

I have an EJ Travel that I love. The brush is dense enough that I can apply cream directly to the brush and lather on my face.

Norm,
I have the Medium Super that is an outstanding brush. Am now considering getting a small in Super as my travel brush. How do the two compare? Am thinking the smaller brush may be a little denser due to the smaller knot:confused: Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

The density of the small and medium supers are close, with a slight edge to the small. I probably use my small about twice as much as my medium. The shorter loft on the small makes it less floppy than the medium. My small works as well with soaps as creams. It is my favorite brush right now!

Greg,

I have pictures of the two side by side that I'll dig out and post tomorrow if you are interested.

Norm,
Pics would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking at the least, the small would become my travel brush. I checked the TESC site and the dims on the handle mean it won't fit (too small) in my brush stand that I just got :mad: . Well I guess there could be a BSAD (Brush stand acquisition disorder).:biggrin:
Greg

Norm,
I have the Medium Super that is an outstanding brush. Am now considering getting a small in Super as my travel brush. How do the two compare? Am thinking the smaller brush may be a little denser due to the smaller knot:confused: Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Greg

The density of the best travel brush allows for lathering a cream on the face. With a small super I can do soaps that way but not a cream. I squeeze the cream directly onto the travel brush.

I can't find the picture I am looking for, but I did find a picture in an old thread. Scroll down, near the bottom for the pictures. I know I have a picture somewhere of just the two together.

Norm,
That picture works fine for my comparison...doesn't look tiny next to the medium. My only concern now is that it will be too small for my brush stand (the medium is just big enough at the handle waist to fit). Thanks a bunch!
Greg

Top Bottom