What's new

Storing a cigar without a humidor?

Once in a while I receive cigars from friends but it takes a few weeks before I get to smoke it.

Is it possible to store a cigar without a humidor?

For a max of 2 weeks, you can store them in an airtight plastic (ziploc) bag or tupperware container with a damp paper towel inside. Anything longer than that, you should really invest in a humidor.

Edit- And also keep the said container in a cool, dark place

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would buy a small rubbermaid container to store them in. If it seals tight no added humidification is necessary. A ziploc will keep them fine for a couple weeks with out anything added as well, but the wrappers can get damaged more easily.

Agree with all the comments...However, lets say you did have a humidor- It would not be efficient enough to keep one cigar fresh(in my experience). Usually should be filled(unless you are talking travel humidors).

Aboard ship, I stored my sticks in a Tupperware rectangular container for six months with perfect humidity. The secret was the gel flower beads I got at Michael's. The container seals way too tightly so I cut out a 4" x 4" section out of the top and attached a single sheet (6" x 6" x 1/2") of cedar so that it could breathe. Never had a moldy cigar or a shattered wrapper the whole time.

My Chief just used a wood cigar box with a clean sock with a few drops of whisky on it every day.

Or so the story goes...

An airtight plastic container would be best. Be sure to smoke it within a few weeks or it'll dry out.

Also if your cigar dries out it isn't necessarily ruined. There are ways to revive it.

Top Bottom