What's new

Ink Review: Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo

For a larger image, click on the picture you see here. You'll be taken to my gallery page. Click the image there once again for a full-sized version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Iroshizuku inks are pricey compared to their competition, but are always great performers and look stunning in the bottles

Kon peki amd asa gao are also great blue shades

Out of the three, I prefer the Asa-gao. The Kon-peki is a bit pale for me, but still a wonderful ink.

Tsuki-yo is more of a blue-black with greenish cast and a very high quality ink, indeed. There's a nice balance between all it's characteristics. It's not overly saturated, but you may want to stick with a drier pen and nib if you're going to be using cheap copy paper. There's a bit of showthrough, also, but I don't really tend to write on both sides of paper, anyway. Shading isn't overly exciting, but attractive, nonetheless.

Is the Iroshizuku line worth the money? Well, I've sampled many of them and bought three bottles so far, if that answers your question. The ones I've used are all very reliable, well behaved and "safe" inks that can be used in practically anything without having to worry about maintenance horrors, clogging, etc. Do some less expensive inks also enjoy that same reputation? Yep, so make sure you buy those, too...

I found my diamine Eau De Nil satisfied similar colour palate needs it writes almost as nice for those who may want something cheaper
I've done the popular Iroshizuku ink sample from the goulets and it is hard to find any flaws with them, there are about ten colours I want to have now and over time will add them in

I found my diamine Eau De Nil satisfied similar colour palate needs it writes almost as nice for those who may want something cheaper
I've done the popular Iroshizuku ink sample from the goulets and it is hard to find any flaws with them, there are about ten colours I want to have now and over time will add them in

I have the same problem.

So many Iroshizukus... I want them all.

I've resorted to Diamine to find reasonably priced alternatives to the Iroshizuku inks, but I do like my bottle of Shin-ryoku. It'll probably be my only purchase from that line of inks, though.

-Andy

I've resorted to Diamine to find reasonably priced alternatives to the Iroshizuku inks, but I do like my bottle of Shin-ryoku. It'll probably be my only purchase from that line of inks, though.

-Andy

You know, I don't even own any Diamine inks. Jetpens is having a sale, apparently. Hmm...

It's one of my favorites. I used it almost exclusively until I discovered Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. The price factor has me using BBK a little more these days.

You might want to think about investing in a scanner. I used to do reviews with my digicam, too, but they never came out well in my opinion. Plus, you could never see how the ink REALLY looked in real life. Scanners are a bit more accurate. I picked up my Epson V330 Photo for around $80, I believe.

Unapologetic bump.

Everyone must have this ink. It's been in my Pelikan M200 ever since I received the pen and it's remained there ever since. It's so damn well behaved; not only in the pen, but on paper. It starts immediately every single time, no matter how long it's been sitting. Tsuki-yo has become a favorite very quickly.

You need it.

Oh, and did I mention that it's VERY easy to clean out of pens? Just so happens that I decided a few minutes ago to flush the Tsuki-yo out of the Pelikan and replace it with Liberty's Elysium. After returning the rest of the ink to the bottle, it didn't take much water at all to completely run clear and flush out the Tsuki-yo. With a lot of other inks, you need to plunge and squeeze what seems like a thousand times. I also just flushed a pen of PR Electric DC SS Blue and it took FOREVER to get everything out.

The ink is user-friendly in every way that I can see, not that I'm trying to enable each and every single one of you.

Top Bottom