What's new

First today with a Dovo best

Took almost an hour, and I had subsequent difficulty with dry lather. It's going to take some time to get my grip and technique down. I had hopes for doing my left side with my non-dominant hand, but it felt almost impossible. Overall it was a good experience. Watching the videos and following the guides will only help you so much until you actually take the first step. I would recommend it to anybody who is interested.

Here's to hoping my shave will quickly improve.
Cheers!

...off to practice my stropping. :a4:

Good for you. I am in the same boat. I tried my first straight razor shave last Friday with a Boker Edelweiss. I am right hand dominant as well and I did as much as I could on the left side of my face with my left hand, but it just felt awkward as could be.... the hardest part was finding and keeping a comfortable grip. I didn't cut myself at all.... but I didn't do the entire shave with my straight. I finished up with my DE.

Anyway, I'm taking a couple days before I attempt my second shave.... but I'm not discouraged. Been brushing my teeth with my left hand and practicing stropping with my uncle's old straight that is nowhere near shave ready.

Keep at it!

Ben

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Guys it only gets better. Enjoy every stage of the process. I truly believe it is a lifetime journey and I enjoy every one I have ever attempted. Stick with one combination once you find your comfort level.

Guys it only gets better. Enjoy every stage of the process. I truly believe it is a lifetime journey and I enjoy every one I have ever attempted. Stick with one combination once you find your comfort level.

second Mike's encouragement. It gets easier and the shaves get better every week. I not only had to learn to use my left hand,but the enablers here mocked me for wearing my glasses ( they get in the way ) when I shaved so now the glasses are off. I look like a suicidal mole trying to find a vein when I shave, but it's great fun.

If I took my glasses off I'd be lucky to find my shave brush on the sink top once I put it down. I guess I'd only get one shot at the lather. :kyle1:

Second shave tonight. It was easier, or seemed to be. It also feels the blade is tugging even even after an extensive pre-shave treatment. I am getting more assured with the razor on my face than on my strop though. I'm afraid of rolling the edge and still struggle to get any kind of reasonable pattern.
With the tugging I had a monster of a time getting my chin and lip. I gave in and grabbed my DE.
What's the best thing I can pick up to help me put a better finish on the blade?
I was leaning toward a balsa with some CrOx. Is this appropriate?

Decided against the balsa and ordered a Coti and better strop. I got a cheap strop for fear of destroying a nice one out of the gate, but I've have no such misfortune. Slow and steady describes my entire routine. If it takes 5 minutes to do a 60 stroke on the strop then I just have more time to reflect on the technique.

Top Bottom