What's new

What should I mix English Fern with: advice requested.

Hey gents,

My Pens English Fern, whilst smelling divine, leaves something to be desired in terms of shave performance.

I'm contemplating grating half the puck and mixing with another soap. I've got Arko, Irisch Moos, Palmolive stick, MWF as current Top 5 (along with Cella). Can anyone recommend a soap to mix with the EF? Even something not mentioned above but I'm partial to tallow if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

D

Deleted member 48987

I've heard of people grating it with Palmolive with success. You should be looking for something that lathers up really well but has a neutral enough scent that you can still enjoy the English Fern. I would avoid Irisch Moos, Arko, and Cella...

Thanks Amir,

I completely forgot about cross-fragrances. I want to keep the EF scent but not overpower it.

Doh!

Have you considered using it in combination with a cream to make a superlather? Something like Real Shaving Company cream, which is excellent and cheap, should work without damaging the fragrance as long as you don't use too much. (And if it doesn't work, you haven't ruined the puck.)

I mix my MWF with a well aired Palmolive stick.

It works great now so i would suggest you could use the same.

I used a quarter of a stick with 3/4's of a MWF puck. One of my favourite soaps now!

I have tried the Frankenpuck trick with English Fern.

Just toss it in the shower and use a real shaving soap.

Rudy Vey suggested grating the EF together with an equal amount of Palmolive soap. I tried it and am very happy with it. It works, thanks to the very kind and talented Mr. Vey!

How about a nice unscented stick of valobra!

Well, I like the fragrance of Valobra. Didn't know they make a fragrance free soap? Problem is, EF still costs $30 or more, if it's mixed with something that doesn't give up it's own fragrance (Palmolive does, the Fern fragrance totally dominates) then you've got a real expensive experiment on your hands! If you try it, please come back and post about your results.

I'd go with the valobra stick. I have a half puck of english fern that I'm going to mix with valobra, the other half I have already mixed with a vintage erasmic stick.

Top Bottom