What's new

Talc as an aftershave

I got a pretty good shave in Istanbul from this back-alley barber in the bazaar - and the only thing he used for aftershave was rose water and talc. I must say that it was refreshing, especially since it was quite warm that day.

Does anyone here use talcum powder as an aftershave? If so, what products would they suggest? When is it appropriate to use?

I think there is a Pinaud Clubman Aftershave talc, but might be a bit hard to find. I think I have seen it on one, maybe two websites.

Here in Dallas, CVS stores carry Pinuad Clubman talc. Maybe it depends on how one applies to so as not to choke on the powder. Do people use a brush to brush it on? or maybe use a cloth, fill it with powder and sorta dab the cloth on the skin, letting the powder go through the fibers of the cloth? I thought of using the Pinaud Clubman powder but wondered about the best way to use it.
Ernest

I use shave talc from time to time.

In terms of application, if you are secure enough in your manliness, I bet a powder puff would work masterfully.

Pinaud Shave Talc is excellent. After all other aftershave products have dried, I just sprinkle a bit in my dry hands and rub it into my freshly shaven face.

Not to start a controversy but I avoid talc at the request of my nurse wife. Too much cancer risk as you inhale small amounts of it each time you use it:
I use imitation "talc" after every shave. I'm a retired physician and agree that talc can be harmful to breathe and harmful to the eyes. Instead of real talc I use an unscented organic cornstarch-base baby powder containing aloe vera that I buy at an Amish bulk food store. I have a vintage chrome shaving talc can to hold the powder and I apply it with an antique long-handled barber's horse hair brush. I wait several minutes for my after shave to dry fully before I dust on the pseudo-talc. I think it adds another layer of smoothness to an already smooth shave.

Richard

I use imitation "talc" after every shave. I'm a retired physician and agree that talc can be harmful to breathe and harmful to the eyes. Instead of real talc I use an unscented organic cornstarch-base baby powder containing aloe vera that I buy at an Amish bulk food store. I have a vintage chrome shaving talc can to hold the powder and I apply it with an antique long-handled barber's horse hair brush. I wait several minutes for my after shave to dry fully before I dust on the pseudo-talc. I think it adds another layer of smoothness to an already smooth shave.

Richard

Where's the pics? Sounds like cool stuff.

Not to start a controversy but I avoid talc at the request of my nurse wife. Too much cancer risk as you inhale small amounts of it each time you use it:

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/talc.htm

YMMV :001_smile

FWIW, here's what the American Cancer Society has to say about talcum powder:

The American Cancer Society said:
Does Talc Cause Lung Cancer in Humans?

No increased risk of human lung cancer has been reported in association with the use of cosmetic talcum powder. Although some studies of talc miners and millers have suggested an increased risk of lung cancer and other respiratory diseases, others found no increase in lung cancer risk. And the industrial grade talc to which such workers are exposed contains varying amounts of silica and asbestos, unlike the purified talc sold to consumers. One study of pottery workers exposed to silica dust and nonasbestiform talc showed an excess risk of lung cancer, while other studies of occupational talc exposure have not found an increased risk. While experimental evidence suggests that some forms of silica may cause cancer in animals, observational studies in humans are not conclusive.

Advice for People Concerned About Talc and Cancer Risk

Studies of personal use of talcum powder have yielded inconsistent results, although there is some suggestion of an increase in ovarian cancer risk. No other forms of cancer appear to be associated with the use of talcum powder.

I don't think there's any cancer risk but I do think there's a very real possibility of low level decreased lung function with daily inhalation of talc powder. Any inhaled particles that the body can't absorb or expel are potentially harmful. Otherwise insignificant minor talc pneumoconiosis added to lung damage from other causes is another straw on the camel's back. Smokers and ex-smokers in particular should avoid breathing talc dust... or any other dust.

Richard

I use the Pinaud talc by simply putting a small amount of it on a Marvy goat hair brush and dust the back of my neck with it. Must say that in hot climates this seems to work very well

Last time I visited my folks, I spied a bottle of Old Spice Aftershave Talc on my Dad's shaving shelf. Alas, it was empty. Dad's been using an electric for years. :eek:

So I went to the Old Spice website to see about their talc:

Other Old Spice Stuff:

Where's Soap-on-a-Rope, Shaving Mug refills, and the Talc Powder?
Sorry to break it to you, but all these products were discontinued about 10 years ago. If you thought these were good, click here to check out the rest of our cool products. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, I think I will.

remember that the talc which increases cancer rates is the stone talc, starch based talc is basicly safe,

I don't think there's any cancer risk but I do think there's a very real possibility of low level decreased lung function with daily inhalation of talc powder. Any inhaled particles that the body can't absorb or expel are potentially harmful. Otherwise insignificant minor talc pneumoconiosis added to lung damage from other causes is another straw on the camel's back. Smokers and ex-smokers in particular should avoid breathing talc dust... or any other dust.

Richard
My thoughts exactly. Most people who had problems with asbestos were also smokers.
I would suspect the talc ovarian tumor sufferers used talc on their contraception diaphragm when they stored it. Just a thought.

Sometimes I use Medicated Gold Bond Powder. Clubman is good and I've seen it at CVS and Walgreen's. I use it on the back of my neck sometimes after I shave it. Barbers and stylist have used it on my neck and it works nice. Sometimes when I'm going to be out in the heat and humidity, I'll give the chest, back and nether regions a dusting. Helps absorb the sweat.
Sometimes after I touch up the "Southern Regions", a shot of talc works nicely. I know, too much information :biggrin:

Top Bottom