What's new

Symphony gala attire

You should pick up some shoe trees, they would really help to minimize the creases in your shoes. Spend some time conditioning and polishing your shoes, nothing worse than a nice suit with unkept shoes.

Shoe trees are in my near future plans. And in that picture they had been freshly stripped and cleaned. They usually have a nice polish on them.

Last edited:
A lesson from a soon to be senior -- when it comes to attire, ask your wife. And do whatever she recommends. She'll love that you asked, and she'll be even happier when you take her advice. She may or may not have better taste than any of us, but she's almost certain to be more interested in what you're wearing than anyone else. Trust me on this one -- our 40th anniversary is coming up next year.

My wife just replies with an, "I dunno". We're both going through a wardrobe revamp, neither one of us own much of what you would call "nice clothes", maybe the term grownup clothes is better.

Suit has shipped and tie ordered. Now to find a tailor. Trying to find recommendations, but not seeming to find any in my area. I have only seen reviews for one shop and they are mixed. I may just have to pick one and hope!

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions everyone, we went to the symphony last night and had a great time. I got my navy suit from JCP and a white dress shirt I already owned tailored to the tune of around $39. Added a silver grenafaux tie from The Tie Bar, a white handkerchief, and a pair of black blutchers (low quarters, thanks USAF).

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That's a really nice "hey, my man got dressed up all fancy-like and is looking fine" smile on SWMBO.

Don't confuse me with a stylish gent, but depending on the shade of Navy and your shirt color, I think any of those ties might work. But I would expect to eliminate the 4th/Black-n-Gold looking one first.

Spoken like a Carolina Panthers fan, if you ask me. :001_tongu

Luckily I love music. It's more me who wants to go, the wife's not that big a fan of music, but she'll love it after this performance. The theme is James Bond, so I'm considering buying a black silk knit tie :)

You guys look great! Sound like my wife and I. She's not a big symphony/opera/art music fan like me, but we both love having an evening every now and then to dress up and act fancy.

Thank you everyone! We did have a great time. We got invited into the VIP before the show, we felt a little out of place but I was dressed better than many the men in attendance. The ladies were all dressed well, but the worst I saw was a man in a navy blazer, button up shirt, khaki pants, and black new balance running shoes. There were plenty of tuxedos being worn as well, all in all, it was a very enjoyable event.

proxy.php

And our 007 inspired mashed potato martinis.

proxy.php

Top Bottom