What's new

Fatip Grande

Greetings!

I received my Fatip Grande today and am very happy about it, but I thought the handle would be longer, it is shorter than the handle of my Merkur 25c, also it came in an unmarked blue box, is that right?
I saw two chrome flakes on my hand after handling it, but couldn't determine where it fell off from, I hope it's ok!
Thanks in advance for your replies!

I had a similar experience with a Fatip piccolo. It came in a plain blue box with a generic plastic tray made to fit a razor with a longer handle. I don't think this razor was made to be a refined beauty as you can see machining marks on the handle though I'm not seeing flaws (pitting, bubbles, etc.) in the finish. Mine had very small metal grains on it like it was machined and not thoroughly cleaned off. The Piccolo has fine lines running the length of the handle and in several places I can see little dents in the lines. It's almost like (and maybe it is) a factory 2nd. It's perfectly fine, no flaws to worry about and functions just fine but it's just not pristine beauty like an EJ DE89. I got it (new) for a great price and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Last edited:
Ah, I see! Very interesting! What is the difference between the grande and the piccolo? Is it only the handle?

proxy.php
proxy.php

The ribbing on the piccolo is finer and closer. The design is a bit different and the piccolo handle is a bit shorter and heavier because it is solid vs. hollow. I'm pretty certain the heads are the same. I don't think these pictures are in scale so the size shouldn't be judged by the pictures.

Last edited:
i have the nickel fatip picalo, one shave with the original handle and the fatip head was paired with a webber classic handle, the webber fatip combo has been used from then on, i love the fatip head but the picalo handle i did not like at all.

Ah I see, thanks for the insight! I have a bit respect for this razor, it is more aggressive than my others and I am contemplating whether to shave with it tonight or better some other time (sometimes, like tonight, I shower and shave in the evening if I have to get up extra-early).

I haven't even used my piccolo yet. I bought it because I wanted to try an open comb and I found a nice deal on it. A Fatboy unexpectedly popped up about the same time and I've been using that for the last couple of weeks. I plan on giving the Piccolo a go soon.

I just bought a Fatip Piccolo Nickel as well and have used it for 2 shaves. I like the head, but that little handle had to go. Based on a post I saw here, I bought a Sabi razor that I'm going to swap the handle onto the Fatip. Will probably try it Sun nite or Mon morning when I have extra growth, but it definitely seems better just holding it with the beefier handle.

Fatip Grande is my usual Monday morning razor (2 days growth to cut). It's aggressive design OC mows down multi-day growth with ease. If I use it on consecutive days I have to be super careful as it has "burnt" me before - especially with Feathers.

As to QC it's built more like a Kalashnikov than a Colt if that makes sense.

Do yourself a favor and get a better handle for your Fatip. A nice UFO, for example, or one of the Webers. This is the Premax Ruthenium head (same as Fatip, with a dark bluish gray finish) with the new (2012) Weber Classic handle.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
proxy.php
proxy.php

The ribbing on the piccolo is finer and closer. The design is a bit different and the piccolo handle is a bit shorter and heavier because it is solid vs. hollow. I'm pretty certain the heads are the same. I don't think these pictures are in scale so the size shouldn't be judged by the pictures.

So the Grande handle is hollow?

The Fatip Grande anthracite, chrome, gold and nickel each have a total weight of 66 grams or 2.3 oz. The handle on the Grande is hollow. The Piccolo nickel runs 72 grams or 2.5 oz., and the handle is solid. Both the Grande and Piccolo are supposedly 80 mm in length. The heads on all the Fatips weigh roughly 29.5 grams, I believe. The screw threads are different sizes and that's been covered in a few other posts. I think the weight of the head is relevant if one is going to swap handles.

Last edited:
For anyone out there who has ditched the original handle, I'm looking for a nickle Fatip Grande handle. I'll be using the Piccolo for the first time soon and it would be nice if I were able to try the razor with both handles. If you have a nickle Grande handle laying around, PM me and maybe we could work something out.

For anyone out there who has ditched the original handle, I'm looking for a nickle Fatip Grande handle. I'll be using the Piccolo for the first time soon and it would be nice if I were able to try the razor with both handles. If you have a nickle Grande handle laying around, PM me and maybe we could work something out.

PM sent.

I hope both handles fit the Fatip head. I thought the razors had the same head but different handles. I've read where the threads may be different or too long when trying to use them with some non-Fatip handles. Maybe someone else knows and can pitch in with a more definitive answer because I'm not sure.

my fatip picalo handle does not fit on any other razor head, but the fatip head fits on my webber handles no problem, i was going to use it on a tech head but its a no go, shame becuase its a good heavy little handle.

Top Bottom