What's new

What Is The Purpose Of A Brush?

I have been wet-shaving for the last 9 years or so and I have used many,many badger hair and boar brushes. Last week I sold my Duke 3 and bought a brand new SOC.
I also ordered the Muhle silvertip fibre brush in 21mm. I got the SOC first because the Muhle was coming from Connaught over in England. Anyhow, I used the SOC 3 times and than the Muhle came. This brush makes the best lather I have ever made, so much so,that I will be selling the SOC cheaply and getting a larger Muhle. IF the purpose of a brush is to make a rich,creamy lather
than this synthetic brush is at the top and it cannot be beat by any badger or boar at any price point. Of course YMMV.

I don't find brushes make any difference in the quality of the lather, but they make a world of difference in applying it.

I think softer/longer haired brushes make a better lather. I have several synthetic brushes and gotta say that the Franks Richmonds are excellent. I have two 24mm Richmond brushes and they are great to use, smooth to the face (not scratchy like boar brushes I have tried, or Omega synthetic), create a nice fluffy lather and allow me to apply it perfectly. I'll never use anything else - my pure badger just sits there unused these days. they cost about $20AUD including postage to Oz (ebay seller http://stores.ebay.com.au/Ian-Tangs-Shaving-Workshop)

Last edited:
When face-lathering a brush has a few more roles: prep, holding lather for multiple passes, and providing a pleasant experience. Quantifying some of these is difficult, but I am afraid the Mühle synthetic did not make my cut. It felt disturbing, like I was lathering with something made by Voit. It lathered quickly, but the lather quality was no better than what I get with boars, badgers, and horses. Speed does not much matter to me because I face-lather for 3-5 minutes anyway, for beard prep.

If the Mühle synthetic were half the price, perhaps I would own one. But for a similar price I could get a natural hair brush that I would prefer: for example Rooney 3/1 super, Simpson Colonel, or any nice handle with a TGN Finest XH knot.

Barry, i have 6 Frank Shaving synthetic custom ones that i adore and they are becoming my favourite ones, even beating out my 2-band badgers for performance.

Barry, i have 6 Frank Shaving synthetic custom ones that i adore and they are becoming my favourite ones, even beating out my 2-band badgers for performance.

Thats what I'm talking about---The performance of these synthetics are outstanding

I agree, my Muhle silvertip whips up lather easier and more consistently than my Colonel X2L and Thater 4125/2.

I think the Muhle brushes do have great performance characteristics. I owned the 23 and 25mm versions. I did find they made great lather but the face feel for me was somehow not as great as some of my badger brushes. They tended to flatten and somehow not hold their shape as well as my better badger or boars. I did end up selling them, but I still do respect them as wonderful performers for creating lather and super fast drying time. I will likely be buying a Muhle second gen 21mm one for travel soon so that tells you I still have great respect for these brushes.

Top Bottom