What's new

Musings on Drip Stands

My stand is mounted on the wall for lack of counter space, but I don't think it matters much how you store them.

Ronnie

It is all a matter or esthetics and personal preference in how you want things to "look"

there should be no difference in drying, longevity, or performance gained or lost by using either method of storing brushes.

Do what every you like or what every you feel looks the best to you. I have some brushes that are too large to fit in any stand made and must stand on their handles.

Personally I put mine on stands but that does not mean that all of the brushes hang DOWN

proxy.php

Stands are unnecessary.

If a brush needed to be hung upside down, it wouldn't have a flat end.

And every single brush has its logo printed with the knot up. If the manufacturer wanted it to spend most of its life in a stand, why would they want their logo to be upside down?

+1

I don't use one. They just take up room.

If it didn't have a flat end, how would you put it down between passes without making a mess?
You could lay it down on the soap puck.

And I can't seem to avoid making a mess when I shave, even when I don't use a brush at all.

...Thoughts?

I use a drip stand, the one from EJ/Muhle. It was affordable at around $10 shipped and it is made of chrome plated brass that I hope will last a lifetime. I believe in hanging the brush after each shave and have several brushes that I store on their handles, upright, between shaves. I do use some plastic stands to save space.
I have not seen a credible scientific experiment that would prove one method better. Instead, gathering all the facts from personal experience and education, I came to the conclusion that hanging the brush to dry, then put it aside upright between shaves, has many benefits.
Truefitt @ Hill has what I think is best stand: angled chrome brush stand. Personally, I will not pay $40 plus shipping for just a stand.

proxy.php

Incidentally, I have never seen water "drip" on the stand from the brush. I don't put them up that wet.
My daily use stand is like those of VerbaVolant's above; if dripping happened it would lead to mess somewhere.

P.S. Nice touch with the upside-down stand! I can see several possible benefits.

My opinion, I don't think hanging versus standing makes a difference. I expect ambient humidity and temperature where the brush is used and stored makes a big difference. I'd be curious if anyone here has experience with this in the tropics without air conditioning, and what they've observed.

I stand my brush. I give it a sharp shake once or twice after rinsing and it is dry when I go to use it in the morning. I'm in Florida, but A/C keeps the house inside dry in those months when it is hot and humid outside.

I bought a stand for one of my brushes and hated it. It was something else to knock over, something else to clean and dust occasionally, so I stopped using it. I don't think they're needed. Back in the day I'm sure most people had one razor, one kind of blade, and one brush. It was utility, not a collector's hobby, and I'm sure many people got by for years with the same utilitarian equipment and no drip stand, just leaving their brush upturned on the sink to dry.

That said, I don't have any very expensive brushes or any with wooden handles. If I had an expensive brush with a wooden handle I might be a bit more worried about it cracking and a stand would certainly give a little peace of mind.

Scott

Top Bottom