What's new

Looking for alternatives to Nivea Post Shave Balm

Ive used the Nivea Post Shave Balm before and like it better than the Sensitive version.

Looking for recommendations for alternatives that I can check out.

Thanks!

Nivea Replenishing balm has a nice clean scent and doesn't leave a oily film. Afta Original also works well for me.
On the higher end is Trumpers Skin Food. Great stuff. I have the Trumpers Coral and Sandalwood. Superb!

All of these are very soothing for me but I don't have sensitive skin.

I like La Toja AS balm and the Queen Charlotte soap AS balms, Vostok in particular.
Neither are as cheap as the Nivea but they're not too expensive either, I think $13 or so for the La Toja and $10 for the QCS which is a small tube but goes a very long ways.

I like the Nivea Replenishing balm too, that's the only one I've tried.

Yeah, the Replenishing Balm is the one I liked. I liked the scent better than the Nivea Sensitive Skin version.

Looking for some inexpensive alternatives.

Noxema or Nutrogena or anything like that or more esoteric/lessor known.

Proraso Blue Label aftershave balm. I don't know if you have this available locally but you can order it online for $10-12. It smells so good to me that I'd like to find a colonge that smells like it and I think it does a very good job at soothing and healing. I leaves a slight residue at first but it absorbs quickly for a nice, smooth finish. Describing scents is not my forte' but to me it has a clean, leathery, barbershop smell with hint of tangy lime/citrus.

Also, if you want performance over scent, Aveeno Active Naturals After Shave Lotion works great. Glycerin, shea butter and oat with a sweet almond/cherry scent. The scent is very mild and doesn't seem to clash with my Clubman splash at all but it really makes your skin feel good with no oily or greasy residue.

I picked up some King Of Shaves Super Skin Hydration Ultimate Moisturiser when I saw it on sale. It's a lot like the Nivea Balm but has UVA/UVB filters. Doesn't give an SPF, so I don't know how much protection it gives, but even a little is probably worth having.

I don't use balms or lotions that often, but I prefer Neutrogena Men's Triple Protect Face Lotion with SPF20. It doesn't seem to clog my pores like the Nivea did.

I am really enjoying RR Aftershave wax. It makes my skin feel nice after a rough shave. I have the Evil Eye lime scent, and find it to be a refreshing lime scent.

I really like Lea ASB. It's low cost, feels great, and is quite effective. It also has great fresh scent that's not overbearing.

Another favorite of mine is Anthony Logistics ASB. This has a nice cooling effect and a light peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary scent.

+1 on Skin Food. Expensive, but lasts AGES. Really. Just a couple of drops is enough. I expect I won't need to get a new bottle before December. Mine was 200 ml. Sorry, don't know what that is in ounces.

Thanks.

I smelled and wiped on skin several after shave balms today.

Didnt like (mostly on scent)

Nutrogena
Aveeno
Nivea Sensitive
CVS House Brand Nivea Sensitive

Did like...

Nivea Replenishing
Dove (wish I had picked up some of this)
Gillette (picked up some of this)

Gillette was the cheapest and all the others were about the same price.

Skin food is always good so long as the weather is mild/warm and/or your skin is oily or does not suffer from dryness.

I have got on very well with the now hard to find L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive 24 hr post shave balm. It works a treat with all of my soaps and creams. can't recommend it enough, especially in the winter.

Thanks Rum and ButterMilkJones, knowing what is out there is half the battle.

So far I have

Afta
Gillette Sensitive Skin Aftershave Lotion
Nivea Replenishing

Trumper Skin food is a nice light sealant to consider. 444 balm + a splash of your choice is another. You can try the art of shaving ocean kelp lotion, or many of the artisan vendors make great stuff.

Top Bottom