What's new

Moving on.

First off, i'd like to thank everyone that actively posts and participates in the B&B community. I've never really felt the need to post (until now) and basically used this site as a bit of a news feed for new information on everything DE. This website definitely is an invaluable resource.

Now time to grind into the reason for my post! I've decided to gradually move on to straight razors from double edge razors. As of now, i'm completely lost on a few things.. and i'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. My goal is to begin to hone my own razors but i really i'd like to start off on the cheap straights (gold dollar) before i move on to the Dovo's and Thier's that are in my collection.

So to sum up the post.. Suggestions on cheap straights that will sharpen up and hold a nice edge, equipment recommendations?? I'm way to new to even begin to fathom what i'm getting myself into. Good strops? Good CHEAP razors to practice on besides gold dollars?

EDIT: Almost forgot the most important part!! How about high, mid, and low tier stones for honing?? Exactly what equipment is required, more than one stone? microscope?? I'm lost help me out!!! :blink:

Call me crazy but, nothings quite as relaxing as taking something sharp to your face after a long day. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'd type more, but am on an iPod.

Try here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Interactive_Guide_to_Straight_Razor_Shaving

That should answer a bunch. You say you have a gold dollar? Instead of honing first, then learning how to straight shave, it often works better to start with the end product and work backwards:
- get a razor or two honed by someone else who knows what they are doing
- learn to shave / strop / maintain with that.
- get a "finishing" type hone and learn that
- get a medium grit hone and learn that
- get a 1000 grit hone for baseline de-ebaying / bevel setting

Tons of resources and options. Like I said, I'd type more, but a bit hardware constrained.

Rick, your title had me confused , but I understand the post content.

Definitely learn to shave first. It'll make honing easier once you know what sharp edges are.

I agree with Krodor.. mostly

Most vintage razors should have good metal, but may need more than just a bevel set.

The star shaving strops are inexpensive. Films are inexpensive, and any 1k , 2k, 4k, 8k stone progressions on synthethic hones probably work.. but some are more expensive than others.. common brands are Norton, suehiro, king, shapton, naniwa, bester.... but all should get you there. Some vendors sell cut Norton's like whipped dog.

Start checking out the sub forums and there is plenty chatter going on.

Good luck.

i'd like to start off on the cheap straights (gold dollar) before i move on to the Dovo's and Thier's that are in my collection.

Do I have it right? You already own Dovos and Thiers-Issards? If so, send one out to be honed professionally and then try to shave with it.

Top Bottom