What's new

Lose Five Pounds of FAT With Us This Month!

Wife is pregnant and on an eating rampage! I somehow :glare: gained a few pounds of fat and want to lose five pounds this month. Who is with me?

The only "rules" are that the fat has to be lost through eating healthy and exercise.

This is my plan: Make a list of all the things I can do to lose fat. On another sheet of paper organize the list from the easiest to most difficult. Begin with the easiest ones.

1. Weigh self every morning after waking up and measure waist weekly.
2. I won't drink calories.
3. Exercise daily for twenty minutes.
4. Count calories (phone apps are great).
5. Record everything to track progress (spreadsheet).

It is important to have a goal and a plan. Please share how you plan to lose five pounds of fat by the end if this month?

the pic might a bit over the top :)

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
Keep in mind, while calorie reduction is a great start to reducing fat, the main idea is to eat foods with a low glycemic index and low fat content, as these will not be as easily metabolized by fat. Additionally, mixed exercise between muscle building (not heavy body building stuff, necessarily) and cardio is a very effective way to shift your metabolism over to building muscle instead of building fat. Metabolism basically works to either store things or break things down. If you aren't breaking things down (by cardio), you are storing them (as fat, when you don't exercise). But if you break things down and then store them as protein (muscle building exercise), you will store less metabolite intermediates as fat.

I'm studying this stuff right now in a biochemistry course in medical school. It has motivated me to change my diet and exercise habits, now that I understand it a little more. I thought I understood it before I started, but gee was I wrong. Metabolism is tricky stuff, but the guidelines above are pretty straight forward and can work if followed. The most important thing is to stick to the exercise regiment you set up and the diet (which I am not very successful at, as I'm too busy studying most of the time lol). Changing either will start to change metabolism in a way you don't want.

Keep in mind, while calorie reduction is a great start to reducing fat, the main idea is to eat foods with a low glycemic index and low fat content, as these will not be as easily metabolized by fat. Additionally, mixed exercise between muscle building (not heavy body building stuff, necessarily) and cardio is a very effective way to shift your metabolism over to building muscle instead of building fat. Metabolism basically works to either store things or break things down. If you aren't breaking things down (by cardio), you are storing them (as fat, when you don't exercise). But if you break things down and then store them as protein (muscle building exercise), you will store less metabolite intermediates as fat.

I'm studying this stuff right now in a biochemistry course in medical school. It has motivated me to change my diet and exercise habits, now that I understand it a little more. I thought I understood it before I started, but gee was I wrong. Metabolism is tricky stuff, but the guidelines above are pretty straight forward and can work if followed. The most important thing is to stick to the exercise regiment you set up and the diet (which I am not very successful at, as I'm too busy studying most of the time lol). Changing either will start to change metabolism in a way you don't want.

Good points Charlie!

I just want to lose 5 pounds by mid-April. I assume if I do so, most of it will be fat.

I'm going to lift twice weekly--something I was doing the end of 2012 but I stopped--and do aerobic exercise 3 times a week. It's a pretty liveable schedule for me and it helps me drop weight pretty quickly with just a small modification in my diet.

I just want to lose 5 pounds by mid-April. I assume if I do so, most of it will be fat.

I'm going to lift twice weekly--something I was doing the end of 2012 but I stopped--and do aerobic exercise 3 times a week. It's a pretty liveable schedule for me and it helps me drop weight pretty quickly with just a small modification in my diet.

Awesome! :thumbup1:

I'm in! The scale reads 170.6 today which is at least five too many... I've given up alcohol for Lent which conveniently runs to the 31st so that's a help.

My diet is under control so I really just have to focus on cardio/weights. If spring comes early, being able to run outside will make this much easier.

Check out myfitnesspal.com. It's free and pretty darn helpful keeping track of calories. I've changed my diet back at the beginning of the new year and joined the mentioned website at the end of January and have lost 28 pounds so far. Best of luck to ya.

Check out myfitnesspal.com. It's free and pretty darn helpful keeping track of calories. I've changed my diet back at the beginning of the new year and joined the mentioned website at the end of January and have lost 28 pounds so far. Best of luck to ya.

Yep, MyFitnessPal is a great app and I'll be using it this month.

I'm in! The scale reads 170.6 today which is at least five too many... I've given up alcohol for Lent which conveniently runs to the 31st so that's a help.

My diet is under control so I really just have to focus on cardio/weights. If spring comes early, being able to run outside will make this much easier.

Right on!

Put me down for 9 lbs. I'm at 194 and will be at 185 by months end. I go to the climbing gym several times a week but am just now getting out hiking in the mountains (more as spring comes around).

My motivation other than getting back to 185 helps with climbing tremendously is that I'm climbing Mt. St. Helens in May. The more in shape (including being at my optimal weight) I am for that the more pleasant it will be.

I never really get "out of shape" but the period starting Thanksgiving and extending to the middle of the winter is always where I pick up a few unwanted pounds mainly due to a little less exercise and poorer eating habits.

Started 2 months ago :

Livestrong app. : to count calories

Nexercise app. : to monitor exercise

Lots of fruit,veggies,tuna, or salad for lunch

No soda currently 64 - 96 oz of water a day

Healthy dinner

Walking or jogging about 30 mins. Every other day

So far 20 pounds down 15 to go !

Put me down for 9 lbs. I'm at 194 and will be at 185 by months end. I go to the climbing gym several times a week but am just now getting out hiking in the mountains (more as spring comes around).

My motivation other than getting back to 185 helps with climbing tremendously is that I'm climbing Mt. St. Helens in May. The more in shape (including being at my optimal weight) I am for that the more pleasant it will be.

I never really get "out of shape" but the period starting Thanksgiving and extending to the middle of the winter is always where I pick up a few unwanted pounds mainly due to a little less exercise and poorer eating habits.

Awesome! I know there are more of yous out there. Come on people!

My update: I am happy that I didn't drink my calories today. I drank green tea instead of coffee with cream. Went for a brisk forty minute walk.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Can I be the anti-"I'm in" person?
I once hit 150lbs for 2 weeks and then dropped back to my standard 142-145. When I get sick on a weekend, I'll drop another 3-5lbs.
We already have a very good diet (but not a lot of meats), so outside of exercising I'd like to gain weight. Preferably all muscle :lol:

I'm in Noah, though 5lbs is far from what I need to lose. The Jog Log ap is great for tracking time and distance if you're walking or jogging and are unsure of exact distances.

My update: I am happy that I didn't drink my calories today. I drank green tea instead of coffee with cream. Went for a brisk forty minute walk.

Walking as a great way to get exercise.

I walk 1/2 mile each way to the post office every day to pick up shaving supplies that seem to come in there daily :lol:

strop

Now half as wise
Saxman has it right. Metabolism is complicated stuff.

What's as important is how you will change over the years. All you young guys can easily lose 5 lbs in a month without major alterations in your lifestyle.

Over the last 38 weeks, I've been trying to learn how to eat all over again, because "going on a diet" will fail, eventually. Now is the time to make that a part of your lifestyle. Don't be like me and wait until you're older, because it will only be harder. Sorry to sound like a father.:biggrin1:

I've been at a stable weight for the last 2 months, after dropping 50. I'll try to play along, and see if I can drop a little more.

Can I be the anti-"I'm in" person?
I once hit 150lbs for 2 weeks and then dropped back to my standard 142-145. When I get sick on a weekend, I'll drop another 3-5lbs.
We already have a very good diet (but not a lot of meats), so outside of exercising I'd like to gain weight. Preferably all muscle :lol:

Lift weights brother! If you don't have a pull-up bar at home, I recommend getting one. I bought one (Door Gym) that fits the door frame for thirty.

Top Bottom