What's new

Left Handed

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Some things left, some right (mostly sports). The only thing I do well with both hands is type ... god bless the Grade 8 typing class I almost failed! :lol:

P.S. I shave left-handed.

I am, for the most part, utterly useless with my left hand. That is the main reason I traded away my straight and strop. I tried and tried, but was afraid i would commit "Hari Kari" before I learned to shave with both hands (which in a way, I feel may be necessary with a straight).

I am definitely left-handed. However I swing a baseball bat and a golf club right handed. Believe it or not I throw a ball left-handed.

Me too! the best thing I can do with both hands is typing and I learned very poorly to type in a 10th grade typing class. I have had a lot of practice ever since.:001_smile

I am definitely left-handed. However I swing a baseball bat and a golf club right handed. Believe it or not I throw a ball left-handed.

Yes, I throw left, bat and golf right. My dad throws right and bats/golfs left. Go figure.

I tried to teach myself to switch-hit when I was young, actually did ok, but I pretty much quit baseball after little league.

My grandfather was always bugging me to learn to write with my "right" hand because in his mind, you couldn't write correctly with your left hand. He does have a point, as my hand writing is still attrocious after all these years..

-Mason

Bill

I'm hoping to try shaving with a straight in the next few months. And, like Newfie, I'm fairly useless with my left hand. When using a straight, is it essential to be able to use both hands?

Cheers

Jeremy

I'm right handed, and use my right hand most of the time when shaving.

I'd say it's well worth spending a little time learning to wield a straight with your non-dominant hand, it's really handy for the left side of your face. And not too hard either, wasn't for me at least. I still feel I have much better control with my right hand, but I can use my left hand when shaving without too much trouble.

Bill

I'm hoping to try shaving with a straight in the next few months. And, like Newfie, I'm fairly useless with my left hand. When using a straight, is it essential to be able to use both hands?

Cheers

Jeremy
Learning to use your left hand for the left side of the face is a bonus, but not absolutely necessary. I will say it will be worth it to learn, however. I cut my wrist pretty bad once because I was crossing back over to the right side of my face from the left cheek with my right hand.

I'm naturally left handed, but I grew up in an overly-populated-by-old-fashioned-christians area, and was forced to learn to live right-handed. Not forced very nicely, either. I believe this to be the root of my great dislike of christianity in general-once you've been screamed at about being the devil's child for writing left-handed, appreciation for christ tends to drop.

Hence, I am now ambidextrous. Which has its benefits-shaving ambidextrously came easily enough for me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Not only am I left handed, I may be the most left handed person.

...what are some of the differences between right and left hand razors???

Denis... Denis... Denis

Left handed razors have two washers on one side at the pivot pin.

That's a joke, son, I say, that's a joke...
:cowboy:

Bill

Cheers

Jeremy

As Bill said, not essential, but preferable - in addition to not slashing your wrists, it makes it much easier to get the right angles in the tough spots. Its definitely worth making the effort.

Not only am I left handed, I may be the most left handed person.

But still likely less left-handed than most right-handers are right-handed...

Lefties (and I'm one) have to constantly adjust to living in a right-handed world, so we have to use our right hands much more than righties have to use their left hand.

Denis... Denis... Denis

Left handed razors have two washers on one side at the pivot pin.

That's a joke, son, I say, that's a joke...
:cowboy:

Wouldn't a left-handed straight open from the other side...:wink:

Top Bottom